    anything in it. The chance for Gateway to create this driver are zero to
    none. My laptop will be sound-crippled permenantly. hhhhuhh very frustrated
    and disappointed with those companies. They will be in my blacklist.

    canixs, Mar 2, 2007

  2. canixs

    Spinnacre Guest

    Try the fujitsu ones for the SB400:
    http://www.fujitsupc.com/downloads/mobile/S2110_AUDIO_SIGMATEL_AC97_V5.10.4469.0_VISTA.EXE

    If that doesn't work:

    The Vista x64 drivers work (linked-to below...make sure you use my
    instructions rather than the ones on the driver page), but are not signed
    (officially approved) which prevents them from being installed mindlessly.
    Vista is set (by default) to not accept unsigned drivers, so you will need
    to change that for the time being. There are two ways to do this and you
    will have to decide whether you want to use the temporary method each time
    you start your computer or use the permanent method. As far as I know, the
    only risks are that an unsigned driver (other than this one, because many
    people are using it without issue) may destabilize your system because they
    have not been certified to work.

    Download the driver:
    http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=4179
    You will have to sign-up for PlanetAMD64 if you haven't already...can't
    imagine why if you have really been looking.
    Extract the zip file to an easily accessible folder like c:\audio

    As mentioned, there are two methods to turn-off the prevention of unsigned
    drivers in Vista. If I were you, I would try the Temporary method first,
    make sure you can get the sound working, then implement the permanent
    solution:

    1) Temporarily:

    When you start-up the computer, just before you see the Windows Vista
    logo) press F8 on the keyboard (multiple times is fine). You will see a
    screen with startup options for Vista (such as safe mode, VGA mode, etc.)
    near the bottom of the list there is an option to disable integrity checks
    (this is what only allows signed drivers to be used). So, if you use this
    option to start Vista, it is only good for that session! If you restart your
    computer, your sound will not work again!

    If your system does not automatically install the sound driver upon startup,
    then try to install the driver using device manager and browsing to the
    folder you extracted the zip to.

    2) Permanently: Open the Start menu and type com into the search box.
    Command Prompt is the first result, so Right-click it and select "Run as
    administrator" then type:

    Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

    Now reboot and your unsigned drivers should run unabated.

    P.S. If you see others having the same problem around the web, try helping
    them out!

    ~Spinnacre

    Spinnacre, Mar 4, 2007

  3. canixs

    canixs Guest

    Spinnacre,
    Thanks for taking your time to give some options. I already looked into
    those options and decide not to use any due to I can't bear running my
    system in the test mode.

    canixs, Mar 4, 2007
  4. canixs

    Spinnacre Guest

    Did you try the Fujitsu driver? I believe it is signed...

    ~Spinnacre

    Spinnacre, Mar 4, 2007
  5. canixs

    canixs Guest

    I visited the website, and it only said it's a vista compatible driver and
    the spec for that laptop audio chip is not even conexant, it didn't mention
    anything about 64bit or not. I doubt it, it will work.
    No, I didn't install it. I don't messing it anymore. I get used to running
    system without sound now..:-( ...if I want to listen to music I just pop in
    my Creative 2zs PMCIA with headphones. I used my laptop mostly for work
    anyway.

    canixs, Mar 4, 2007
  6. canixs

    Dennis Pack Guest

    canixs:
    I just got an HP DV2000 laptop which has Vista x64 drivers listed. I
    don't know if it has the Conexant 20468-31 chipset but it has working
    Conexant sound. The driver listed in device manager is version 4.10.1.5
    dated 1-18-2007 and signed by MS. The drivers are located at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3177437&os=2100&lang=en.
    Before trying to install these drivers, unzip the drivers into a swsetup
    folder, uninstall the SB400 drivers then reboot. The drivers should
    automatically install but they may need to be installed manually. Have a
    great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Mar 4, 2007
  7. canixs

    canixs Guest

    I tried it, no go, it's for conexant hd audio, my only conexant ac97 ,
    thanks again for you help.

    canixs, Mar 4, 2007