    it possible to condition them, to restore a higher capacity?

    Thanks!

    - rick

    rick cameron, Mar 4, 2004

  2. rick cameron

    jerry Guest

    Lithium ion batteries have many advantages.However,they age rapidly. Suggest
    you check out www.batteryuniversity.com. Jerry

    jerry, Mar 4, 2004

  3. rick cameron

    rick cameron Guest

    Thanks for the pointer - an excellent site!

    The bottom line appears to be that Li-Ion batteries only last for two or
    three years, and there's no way to condition them. Unlike Ni-Cd batteries,
    they have no memory, and even prefer to be recharged frequently, rather than
    fully discharged!

    Thanks again

    - rick

    rick cameron, Mar 4, 2004
  4. rick cameron

    spigot Guest

    "rick cameron" <rick.cameron@tee ee el you ess dot en ee tee> wrote in
    message news:MAA1c.66695$A12.24961@edtnps84...

    --

    I have the same problem with some JVC Li-Ion camcorder batteries. I bought
    some spare ones when they became discontinued (cost about £5 each instead of

    Despite that, and despite being stored fully charged, they only seem to have
    about half the capacity that they used to have - like you say, Li-Ion's seem
    to decline with age no matter how you treat them.

    When I bought my E20, the fact that it used standard AA cells was a big
    factor in the buying decision - it's nice to be able to buy 2300mh batteries
    cheaply. Every camera should use AA cells in my opinion.

    spigot, Mar 4, 2004
  5. rick cameron

    Don Guest

    I agree with all of the comments above. Most LiIon manufacturers seem to
    now be recommending that LiIon batteries be stored with 25% to 50% charge
    level. This means you need to give them a little charge every month or so.
    *Never* let them become completely discharged, as that can kill them.

    Don

    "rick cameron" <rick.cameron@tee ee el you ess dot en ee tee> wrote in
    message news:V1z1c.64057$A12.6332@edtnps84...
    > Hi, all
    >
    > I have a Canon ZR 25MC camcorder and two BP-512 batteries. I got the
    > batteries with the camera a little over 2 years ago.
    >
    > Lately it seems that neither battery can hold nearly as much of a charge

    as

    Don, Mar 4, 2004
  6. rick cameron

    Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:46:55 -0700, "Don" <> wrote:

    >I agree with all of the comments above. Most LiIon manufacturers seem to
    >now be recommending that LiIon batteries be stored with 25% to 50% charge
    >level. This means you need to give them a little charge every month or so.
    >*Never* let them become completely discharged, as that can kill them.
    >
    >Don

    I have a Palm Vx PDA with lithium ion battery and it is still going
    strong after three years. Of course I almost always have it sitting in
    its rechargeable base and rarely let the battery get very low. Perhaps
    the advice to keep them charged at all times is good advice.

    Jake

    , Mar 4, 2004
  7. rick cameron

    browntimdc Guest

    "spigot" <> wrote in

    > I have the same problem with some JVC Li-Ion camcorder batteries. I
    > bought some spare ones when they became discontinued (cost about £5
    > each instead of £60 - how about that for an original mark-up?!) but
    > have hardly used them - charged less than 20 times.
    >
    > Despite that, and despite being stored fully charged, they only seem
    > to have about half the capacity that they used to have - like you say,
    > Li-Ion's seem to decline with age no matter how you treat them.

    Li-ion age faster if they are stored fully charged. 40% charged is ideal.
    Storage at lower temps also slows aging.

    Tim

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham

    browntimdc, Mar 6, 2004
  8. rick cameron

    GMAN Guest

    In article <Xns94A47AC50F1C1tbflash@199.45.49.11>, browntimdc <> wrote:
    >"spigot" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have the same problem with some JVC Li-Ion camcorder batteries. I
    >> bought some spare ones when they became discontinued (cost about £5
    >> each instead of £60 - how about that for an original mark-up?!) but
    >> have hardly used them - charged less than 20 times.
    >>
    >> Despite that, and despite being stored fully charged, they only seem
    >> to have about half the capacity that they used to have - like you say,
    >> Li-Ion's seem to decline with age no matter how you treat them.

    >Li-ion age faster if they are stored fully charged. 40% charged is ideal.
    >Storage at lower temps also slows aging.
    >
    >Tim

    Where do you get this info? I have always been told to store full charged.
    Just curious FMOI.

    GMAN, Mar 6, 2004
  9. rick cameron

    Rick Guest