Concurrent ICS + wireless print server usage

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?QW5keVM=?=, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. I posted this on another forum which didn't seem to get visited much so
    thought I'd try again on this one...

    I'm planning on setting up an ad-hoc wireless network for three PCs:

    1) XP SP2 desktop 2) Windows 98 SE desktop 3) Windows 2000 laptop

    The XP system has a broadband connection via a modem that is connected
    through a USB port, and I plan to use ICS to share the connection with the
    other PCs.

    I also want to buy a wireless print server to share an Epson C1200N laser
    printer among all PCs. I found a review of the Belkin wireless print server
    that said "You set the device up by plugging it into your PC, configuring it
    and then unplugging it and establishing a direct wireless connection between
    the print server and your PC. If you connect the print server in this way and
    share your Internet connection using wireless, you'll only be able to
    communicate with either the Internet connection or the print server at any
    one time."

    I found a similar comment about a different wireless print server - can't
    remember which one.

    I contacted Belkin to ask whether there really is a restriction but they
    clearly haven't a clue what they are talking about. They said I would need a
    wireless router to assign an IP address to the wireless print server,
    although their own manual for the server describes utilities for manually
    setting the IP address.

    Can anybody else tell me if there is any reason why I would not be able to
    run ICS and print via a wireless print server at the same time?
    --
    Andy Struthers
    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keVM=?=, Apr 20, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QW5keVM=?=

    DLink Guru Guest

    For one thing, when you setup an AD-HOC network it will only work between 2
    computers. If you wish to have more computers in your wireless network you
    will have to purchase a router. The wireless print server will not showup in
    your AD-HOC network.

    Robert....

    DLink Guru, Apr 21, 2005

  3. Thanks for the reply Robert. Not sure I agree with you about the limitation
    to 2 computers. Can't find that restriction documented anywhere. In fact,
    quite the reverse - I can find a lot of pages that suggest you can have > 2
    computers on an ad-hoc network e.g. the last paragraph of this link

    Can you point me to somewhere where it explains the 2 PC limit?

    Andy

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keVM=?=, Apr 21, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QW5keVM=?=

    DLink Guru Guest

    You will have one computer set as a host, and the other will be a what is
    known as a Node. You can have other computers connect to the Host, but all
    the nodes will not beable to connect to each other, so its not a true
    network.

    Robert.....

    DLink Guru, Apr 21, 2005