Concurrent Access Using Different ISPs Is This Possible?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by TerryPin, Sep 6, 2007.

  1. TerryPin

    TerryPin Guest

    OK Folks

    Some help please

    Scenario: My ISP in the UK has a provided me with a good quality connection 8MB
    and a static IP address, though not sure what the uplink is lets say 512k I
    currently use WinXP at both locatiobs but would consider an upgrade to Visata if
    necessary

    I spend a large amount of time on the other side of the world in a country which
    does not over actively encourage connections to that outside world

    My apartment (in a large tower block) has a good quality internet connection
    although many overseas addresses are blocked. I currently can use both Skype and
    my WiFi based Internet radio but quality of the connections can often be very
    poor even though general access for internet browsing and downloads is OK.

    I assume that this is because there is either no QOS on the facilities main
    router or it has not been configured i.e. those ports providing VOIP and
    streaming media (whichever they are) have not be prioritised. I am unable to
    request that this be corrected

    To complicate things I access both Skype using a Netgear SPH101 handset and
    Internet Radio using an Acoustic Energy AEWF1 via Wifi using my small D-Link
    router

    As I said general connection rates are good but at times when other users in the
    apartment block are up and about and I assume accessing the same systems,
    bandwidth falls dramatically with the radio continuously re-buffering and Skype
    whilst less affected has connection problems at the same time general internet
    browsing and downloading remains OK

    The solution to me would be to somehow route Skype and Internet radio traffic
    via my UK connection (I currently often connect using the Go2MyPC facility
    www.go2mypc.com without problems) whilst maintaining general access for
    downloads, email and browser access using the local DSL connection .

    Ridiculously complicated I know and probably totally impossible

    Or is it………………………

    Any comments or suggestions much appreciated

    Terry
    TerryPin, Sep 6, 2007

  2. "TerryPin" <> wrote in message
    > The solution to me would be to somehow route Skype and Internet radio
    > traffic
    > via my UK connection (I currently often connect using the Go2MyPC facility
    > www.go2mypc.com without problems) whilst maintaining general access for
    > downloads, email and browser access using the local DSL connection .
    >
    > Ridiculously complicated I know and probably totally impossible

    Routing pathes are determined by the *destination*,..not the Application
    being used,...not the protocol being used. So "in theory" if you know the
    IP Subnet of the destination (requires knowing the Net ID and Mask, not
    simply a Range),...and if the "Gateway" to the particular Destination is
    known and does not constantly change,...then,...you can configure Static
    Routes on your individual PC to tell it what path to take for specific
    Destinations while allowing everything else to default to another
    connection.

    The command line at a command prompt would look like this on a Windows
    system:

    Route Add -p [net ID] Mask [net mask] [gateway]

    Example:
    PC's Interface = 172.16.34.56
    Available Routers = 172.16.34.1, 172.16.34.2
    PC's DFG = 172.16.34.1

    So if you want all traffic to the Network 192.168.4.0 to take a different
    router (path) than the normal Default Path (172.16.34.1) you would create
    this route:

    Route Add -p 192.168.4.0 Mask 255.255.255.0 172.16.34.2

    Now all traffic leaving the source subnet will use the router 172.16.34.1
    except for all traffic destined for the network 192.168.4.0 which will take
    the router 172.16.34.2 instead.

    It works the same way even if the PC has more than one interface, such as a
    wired nic, a wireless nic, and a dialup adapter which would give it 3.
    Dialup Adapters would include things like phone modems, cell phone adapters,
    and Virtual VPN Adapters. Since a Gateway is only valid if it is in the
    same subnet as the adapter that uses it, the PC will seek out the proper
    adapter to use for the correct gateway and route. If the PC has no
    interface in the same subnet as the gateway, then the route is invalid and
    the destination will be impossible to reach unless the invalid route is
    deleted.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 6, 2007

  3. TerryPin

    TerryPin Guest

    In article <#>, Phillip Windell says...

    >"TerryPin" <> wrote in message
    >> The solution to me would be to somehow route Skype and Internet radio
    >> traffic
    >> via my UK connection (I currently often connect using the Go2MyPC facility
    >> www.go2mypc.com without problems) whilst maintaining general access for
    >> downloads, email and browser access using the local DSL connection .
    >>
    >> Ridiculously complicated I know and probably totally impossible

    >Routing pathes are determined by the *destination*,..not the Application
    >being used,...not the protocol being used. So "in theory" if you know the
    >IP Subnet of the destination (requires knowing the Net ID and Mask, not
    >simply a Range),...and if the "Gateway" to the particular Destination is
    >known and does not constantly change,...then,...you can configure Static
    >Routes on your individual PC to tell it what path to take for specific
    >Destinations while allowing everything else to default to another
    >connection.
    >
    >The command line at a command prompt would look like this on a Windows
    >system:
    >
    >Route Add -p [net ID] Mask [net mask] [gateway]
    >
    >Example:
    >PC's Interface = 172.16.34.56
    >Available Routers = 172.16.34.1, 172.16.34.2
    >PC's DFG = 172.16.34.1
    >
    >So if you want all traffic to the Network 192.168.4.0 to take a different
    >router (path) than the normal Default Path (172.16.34.1) you would create
    >this route:
    >
    >Route Add -p 192.168.4.0 Mask 255.255.255.0 172.16.34.2
    >
    >Now all traffic leaving the source subnet will use the router 172.16.34.1
    >except for all traffic destined for the network 192.168.4.0 which will take
    >the router 172.16.34.2 instead.
    >
    >It works the same way even if the PC has more than one interface, such as a
    >wired nic, a wireless nic, and a dialup adapter which would give it 3.
    >Dialup Adapters would include things like phone modems, cell phone adapters,
    >and Virtual VPN Adapters. Since a Gateway is only valid if it is in the
    >same subnet as the adapter that uses it, the PC will seek out the proper
    >adapter to use for the correct gateway and route. If the PC has no
    >interface in the same subnet as the gateway, then the route is invalid and
    >the destination will be impossible to reach unless the invalid route is
    >deleted.

    Thanks Phillip

    This is all a bit new to me but if I get a solution the effort will be well
    worth it. I'm at the overseas location at the moment so assume I need to go and
    by another wireless router and start learning quick. Well that's my weekend
    booked

    Thanks for your pointers I'll let you know how I get on

    Terry
    TerryPin, Sep 7, 2007