    Ever heard of this
    and if so, what is happening
    and how to remedy it.

    Emory Richter, Jun 19, 2009

  2. Emory Richter

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:13:44 -0400, Emory Richter <>
    wrote:

    >I have this PC problem:

    Laptop? Desktop?

    >My computor screen goes pale and my ability to type continuously stops.

    So...You can't type at all? if you type while this happens, does
    whatever you type show? What do you have to do to get it to work
    again?

    >I has done this 3 times already just typing this message.
    >
    >Ever heard of this
    >and if so, what is happening
    >and how to remedy it.

    What happens to the light on the monitor when this happens, assuming
    this is a monitor and not a laptop?

    Evan Platt, Jun 19, 2009

  3. Emory Richter

    VanguardLH Guest

    Emory Richter wrote:

    > I have this PC problem:
    > My computor screen goes pale and my ability to type continuously stops.
    > I has done this 3 times already just typing this message.
    >
    > Ever heard of this
    > and if so, what is happening
    > and how to remedy it.

    For desktop: replace the power supply.

    For laptop: replace the old batteries.

    VanguardLH, Jun 19, 2009
  4. In article <h1eqd8$poo$-september.org>, says...
    > Emory Richter wrote:
    >
    > > I have this PC problem:
    > > My computor screen goes pale and my ability to type continuously stops.
    > > I has done this 3 times already just typing this message.

    > For desktop: replace the power supply.
    > For laptop: replace the old batteries.

    VanguardLH, thanks for your response.
    Emory

    Emory Richter, Jun 19, 2009
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:13:44 -0400, Emory Richter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have this PC problem:

    Desktop !

    > >My computor screen goes pale and my ability to type continuously stops.

    > So...You can't type at all? if you type while this happens, does
    > whatever you type show?

    No

    >What do you have to do to get it to work
    >again?

    It starts again on its own.

    > >I has done this 3 times already just typing this message.
    > >
    > >Ever heard of this
    > >and if so, what is happening
    > >and how to remedy it.

    > What happens to the light on the monitor when this happens, assuming
    > this is a monitor and not a laptop?

    The light stays on.

    Evan, thanks for your attention.

    Emory Richter, Jun 19, 2009
  6. Emory Richter wrote:

    > says...
    >> Emory Richter <> wrote:
    >>> My computor screen goes pale and my ability to type continuously
    >>> stops.

    >> So...You can't type at all? if you type while this happens, does
    >> whatever you type show?

    > No
    >
    >> What do you have to do to get it to work again?

    > It starts again on its own.

    It has finished sending the 5,000 spam email job, and has returned
    control to you for awhile.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 19, 2009
  7. Emory Richter

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:45:31 -0400, Emory Richter <>
    wrote:

    >> So...You can't type at all? if you type while this happens, does
    >> whatever you type show?

    >No

    So - if you're say typing a letter, and the screen goes blank - type.
    Just keep typing. When it comes back on, does what you typed show?

    >>What do you have to do to get it to work
    >>again?

    >It starts again on its own.

    Ok - does it 'start' again', as in it reboots? Does it go back to
    whatever it is you were doing - ie if you were in a document, it's
    back as if nothing happened?

    >> What happens to the light on the monitor when this happens, assuming
    >> this is a monitor and not a laptop?

    >The light stays on.
    >
    >Evan, thanks for your attention.

    Ok, so it doesn't sound like the monitor, but most monitors have a
    multi colored light. Green is on / signal, yellow is on, so signal. So
    the light stays green, and the keyboard dies?

    Does the monitor truly go 'pale' or just black - as if you shut it
    off?

    Does the fan on the computer stop or does the computer sound like it's
    shut down?

    Evan Platt, Jun 19, 2009
  8. Emory Richter wrote:

    > I have this PC problem:
    > My computor screen goes pale and my ability to type continuously stops.
    > I has done this 3 times already just typing this message.

    Does it do this in the same way UAC dims your screen?
    You may have a window hidden behind where you (continue to) type. Try alt-
    tab if possible.
    Maybe you have malware or something that tries to hide ...
    What do you see in eventviewer?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jun 19, 2009
  9. Emory Richter

    chuckcar Guest

    Emory Richter <> wrote in

    > I have this PC problem:
    > My computor screen goes pale and my ability to type continuously stops.
    > I has done this 3 times already just typing this message.

    Try wiggling the connection from the monitor to the back of the computer.
    If this affects it, shut down the computer and check both parts of the
    connection with a flashlight. Broken screws and/or connectors/wires are
    possible. If possible, try the monitor on a different computer. If it
    works fine there, then you probably have video card problems. Otherwise,
    replace your monitor.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 19, 2009
  10. Emory Richter

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:54:34 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Try wiggling the connection from the monitor to the back of the computer.
    >If this affects it, shut down the computer and check both parts of the
    >connection with a flashlight. Broken screws and/or connectors/wires are
    >possible. If possible, try the monitor on a different computer. If it
    >works fine there, then you probably have video card problems. Otherwise,
    >replace your monitor.

    Wow.. Chucktard misses the boat yet again.

    Evan Platt, Jun 19, 2009
  11. In article <Xns9C2F50AA9F8A2chucknilcar@127.0.0.1>, says...
    > Emory Richter <> wrote in
    >

    > > My computor screen goes pale ...

    > Try wiggling the connection from the monitor to the back of the computer.
    > If this affects it, shut down the computer and check both parts of the
    > connection with a flashlight. Broken screws and/or connectors/wires are
    > possible. If possible, try the monitor on a different computer. If it
    > works fine there, then you probably have video card problems. Otherwise,
    > replace your monitor.

    Thanks for your analysis, chuckcar
    Emory

    Emory Richter, Jun 19, 2009
  12. In article <>,
    says...
    > You may have a window hidden behind where you (continue to) type. Try alt-
    > tab if possible.
    > Maybe you have malware or something that tries to hide ...

    Wisdomkiller, thanks for your response.
    Emory

    Emory Richter, Jun 19, 2009
  13. "Emory Richter" <> wrote in message

    I have this PC problem:
    My computor screen goes pale and my ability to type continuously stops.
    I has done this 3 times already just typing this message.

    Ever heard of this
    and if so, what is happening
    and how to remedy it.

    Are you running Linux? My Ubuntu 9.04 does this when CPU useage hits
    100% and is busy with another higher priority task.

    J¡m ßéâñ, Jun 19, 2009
  14. Emory Richter

    VanguardLH Guest

    (With proper quotation added.)

    Jim Bean wrote:

    > Emory Richter wrote ...
    >>
    >> I have this PC problem: My computor screen goes pale and my ability
    >> to type continuously stops. I has done this 3 times already just
    >> typing this message. Ever heard of this and if so, what is happening
    >> and how to remedy it.

    > Are you running Linux? My Ubuntu 9.04 does this when CPU useage hits
    > 100% and is busy with another higher priority task.

    You actually configured OE to *not* prepend a quoting character before
    the lines of the quoted content you are including in your reply?
    Without it, you make their post as your post; in other words, your post
    doesn't look like a reply.

    Sounds like Ubuntu would be something to avoid if it pales and make
    difficult to see what is happening on the screen simply because it got
    "busy". I've never seen that happen in my trials of Ubuntu.

    The video card/chip has its own GPU. Doesn't matter how busy the CPU
    gets. The screen shouldn't be fading away because a process got busy.

    VanguardLH, Jun 20, 2009
  15. VanguardLH wrote:

    > Jim Bean wrote:
    >> Are you running Linux? My Ubuntu 9.04 does this when CPU useage hits
    >> 100% and is busy with another higher priority task.

    > Sounds like Ubuntu would be something to avoid if it pales and make
    > difficult to see what is happening on the screen simply because it
    > got "busy". I've never seen that happen in my trials of Ubuntu.
    >
    > The video card/chip has its own GPU. Doesn't matter how busy the CPU
    > gets. The screen shouldn't be fading away because a process got
    > busy.

    I've seen this a few times (with Ubuntu 8.04) but not for the entire
    _screen_. Apparently, if an application is about to crash, *its* window
    may go pale/transparent/darker while it is attempting to do something.
    But not the OS or the entire screen.

    The few times I have seen this, I remember it was with a browser that
    was attempting to deal with some web page's Microsoft-specific doodad -
    usually a badly-formed video - and not for any reason that it is Ubuntu
    or Linux.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 20, 2009
  16. In article <h1h04n$j1t$-september.org>,
    lid says...
    > J¡m ßéâñ

    Thanks J¡m ßéâñ.
    Running Windos
    but will watch CPU.

    Emory Richter, Jun 20, 2009
  17. VanguardLH wrote:

    > Sounds like Ubuntu would be something to avoid if it pales and make
    > difficult to see what is happening on the screen simply because it got
    > "busy". I've never seen that happen in my trials of Ubuntu.

    Nay. It is a kde function, do dim/gray out non-responding windows after a
    certain amount of time. Of course, if the window is full screen, it might
    appear to dim everything (but the taskbar and controls still work, unless
    the display manager hangs)

    > The video card/chip has its own GPU. Doesn't matter how busy the CPU
    > gets. The screen shouldn't be fading away because a process got busy.

    I think, the OP gets some UAC-like "gray-out" with a hidden window
    requesting control.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jun 20, 2009