Computing Fun:

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Mar 25, 2010.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    OldGringo38, Mar 25, 2010

  2. OldGringo38

    Jordon Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > From CW:
    > http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9174101/Hacker_busts_IE8_on_Windows_7_in_2_minutes

    Is this coincidence or what?

    I get daily newsletters from Techrepublic.com, some of which
    actually are articles at ZDNet. Just now clicked on one of
    them and my browser started to load the article. Before it
    finished loading I switched to my newsreader and managed to
    click on your post.

    This is what was in my browser...

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5855&tag=nl.e019

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Mar 25, 2010

  3. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Jordon Post:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> From CW:
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9174101/Hacker_busts_IE8_on_Windows_7_in_2_minutes
    >>

    > Is this coincidence or what?
    >
    > I get daily newsletters from Techrepublic.com, some of which
    > actually are articles at ZDNet. Just now clicked on one of
    > them and my browser started to load the article. Before it
    > finished loading I switched to my newsreader and managed to
    > click on your post.
    >
    > This is what was in my browser...
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5855&tag=nl.e019

    How fun, I guess this was a contest and the winner got paid for
    hacking the browsers.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Mar 25, 2010
  4. OldGringo38 wrote:
    > How fun, I guess this was a contest and the winner got paid for hacking
    > the browsers.

    FWIW, I would rather these guys find and notify M$ of exploits before
    some asshat finds them. :)

    Interesting articles tho...

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Mar 25, 2010
  5. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The thund3rstruck Post:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> How fun, I guess this was a contest and the winner got paid for
    >> hacking the browsers.
    >>

    > FWIW, I would rather these guys find and notify M$ of exploits before
    > some asshat finds them. :)
    >
    > Interesting articles tho...
    >
    > n0i

    I seen the article about this event about a couple of weeks ago and
    Google & Apple were doing some quick fixes to hopefully avoid being
    hacked. <g>

    OldGringo38, Mar 25, 2010
  6. OldGringo38

    chuckcar Guest

    OldGringo38 <> wrote in

    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Jordon Post:
    >> OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>> From CW:
    >>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9174101/Hacker_busts_IE8_on_Wi
    >>> ndows_7_in_2_minutes
    >>>

    >> Is this coincidence or what?
    >>
    >> I get daily newsletters from Techrepublic.com, some of which
    >> actually are articles at ZDNet. Just now clicked on one of
    >> them and my browser started to load the article. Before it
    >> finished loading I switched to my newsreader and managed to
    >> click on your post.
    >>
    >> This is what was in my browser...
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5855&tag=nl.e019
    >>

    > How fun, I guess this was a contest and the winner got paid for
    > hacking the browsers.

    Reverse engineering is the biggest way in creating competition in the
    computer industry bar none. If no one is called to task for flaws in
    retail computer software, it won't get properly tested.

    This all assumes that the actual methods used don't become public but
    is restricted to responsible people in the profession. That *was* a
    computer security conference after all. Perhaps a bit too much
    showboating, but that just makes the above more effective.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 25, 2010
  7. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The chuckcar Post:
    > OldGringo38<> wrote in
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Jordon Post:
    >>>>

    >>> Is this coincidence or what?
    >>>
    >>> I get daily newsletters from Techrepublic.com, some of which
    >>> actually are articles at ZDNet. Just now clicked on one of
    >>> them and my browser started to load the article. Before it
    >>> finished loading I switched to my newsreader and managed to
    >>> click on your post.
    >>>
    >>> This is what was in my browser...
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5855&tag=nl.e019
    >>>

    >> How fun, I guess this was a contest and the winner got paid for
    >> hacking the browsers.
    >>

    > Reverse engineering is the biggest way in creating competition in the
    > computer industry bar none. If no one is called to task for flaws in
    > retail computer software, it won't get properly tested.
    >
    > This all assumes that the actual methods used don't become public but
    > is restricted to responsible people in the profession. That *was* a
    > computer security conference after all. Perhaps a bit too much
    > showboating, but that just makes the above more effective.

    It does make sense to call in the pro-hackers to help solve the
    unseen problems one might have.

    OldGringo38, Mar 25, 2010
  8. OldGringo38

    M.L. Guest