    2. Is it possible the Lynksys router (several years old) needs to be replaced?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Scott, Apr 30, 2008

  2. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Update:

    I rebooted the WinXP machine, and everything seems to be working fine now.
    Go figure.

    Scott

    Scott, Apr 30, 2008

  3. Scott

    James Egan Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:31:24 -0500, Scott <> wrote:

    > I reset the router, rebooted each machine, but no change.

    If that model of router gets its knickers in a twist, you need to
    switch it off and leave it off for several minutes before switching it
    on again otherwise the problem will likely remain.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Apr 30, 2008
  4. Hi
    Local trouble on LAN are usually Not a Router problem. The LAN uses the
    switch part of the Router which is a passive device and possibly the DHCP
    for IPs.
    If it happen again check the computer's IPs to make sure that it is Not a
    DHCP trouble.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 30, 2008
  5. Scott

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:31:24 -0500, Scott <> wrote:

    >I have a Linksys WRT54G router. My wired Win95a and Win98 computers no longer
    >see each other or the WinXP computers on the network. However, I can access these
    >computers' hard drives from the WinXP machines. My setup has been working fine
    >for years, until now. I reset the router, rebooted each machine, but no change.
    >The Win95 machine just shows itself (Home Computer). The Win98 machine shows nothing,
    >not even it's own name under the Network icon. On both Win95 and Win98 machines, I
    >ran "winipcfg"...then Release, Renew. The IP addresses look as they should. I
    >haven't made any changes lately.
    >
    >1. What steps should I take to try to figure this out?
    >2. Is it possible the Lynksys router (several years old) needs to be replaced?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Scott

    Scott,

    Visibility between computers running Windows 9x (95, 98, ME) and Windows NT (NT,
    2000, XP , Vista) is always going to be sporadic.
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/windows-9x-9598me-and-browser.html

    You'll need to decide which computers will be online whenever any other computer
    is online and needing to access other computers. You need to pick 2 to 3
    computers to act as browsers for the network, and disable the browser (here I am
    NOT talking about Internet Explorer!) on all other computers.
    <http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

    Chuck [MVP], May 1, 2008
  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:31:24 -0500, Scott <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Linksys WRT54G router. My wired Win95a and Win98 computers no longer
    > >see each other or the WinXP computers on the network. However, I can access these
    > >computers' hard drives from the WinXP machines. My setup has been working fine
    > >for years, until now. I reset the router, rebooted each machine, but no change.
    > >The Win95 machine just shows itself (Home Computer). The Win98 machine shows nothing,
    > >not even it's own name under the Network icon. On both Win95 and Win98 machines, I
    > >ran "winipcfg"...then Release, Renew. The IP addresses look as they should. I
    > >haven't made any changes lately.
    > >
    > >1. What steps should I take to try to figure this out?
    > >2. Is it possible the Lynksys router (several years old) needs to be replaced?
    > >
    > >Thanks!
    > >Scott

    > Scott,
    >
    > Visibility between computers running Windows 9x (95, 98, ME) and Windows NT (NT,
    > 2000, XP , Vista) is always going to be sporadic.
    > http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/windows-9x-9598me-and-browser.html
    >
    > You'll need to decide which computers will be online whenever any other computer
    > is online and needing to access other computers. You need to pick 2 to 3
    > computers to act as browsers for the network, and disable the browser (here I am
    > NOT talking about Internet Explorer!) on all other computers.
    > <http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
    > http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

    Chuck,

    Thanks for the info! This information is new to me. To update, when I rebooted the
    Win XP computer, the two Win 9x computers could once again see each other and the XP
    machine...so I guess the Win XP computer is the dominant one.

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Scott, May 1, 2008
  7. Scott

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 01:13:18 -0500, Scott <> wrote:

    >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:31:24 -0500, Scott <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a Linksys WRT54G router. My wired Win95a and Win98 computers no longer
    >> >see each other or the WinXP computers on the network. However, I can access these
    >> >computers' hard drives from the WinXP machines. My setup has been working fine
    >> >for years, until now. I reset the router, rebooted each machine, but no change.
    >> >The Win95 machine just shows itself (Home Computer). The Win98 machine shows nothing,
    >> >not even it's own name under the Network icon. On both Win95 and Win98 machines, I
    >> >ran "winipcfg"...then Release, Renew. The IP addresses look as they should. I
    >> >haven't made any changes lately.
    >> >
    >> >1. What steps should I take to try to figure this out?
    >> >2. Is it possible the Lynksys router (several years old) needs to be replaced?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks!
    >> >Scott

    >> Scott,
    >>
    >> Visibility between computers running Windows 9x (95, 98, ME) and Windows NT (NT,
    >> 2000, XP , Vista) is always going to be sporadic.
    >> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/windows-9x-9598me-and-browser.html
    >>
    >> You'll need to decide which computers will be online whenever any other computer
    >> is online and needing to access other computers. You need to pick 2 to 3
    >> computers to act as browsers for the network, and disable the browser (here I am
    >> NOT talking about Internet Explorer!) on all other computers.
    >> <http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
    >> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers,
    >> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
    >> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

    >Chuck,
    >
    >Thanks for the info! This information is new to me. To update, when I rebooted the
    >Win XP computer, the two Win 9x computers could once again see each other and the XP
    >machine...so I guess the Win XP computer is the dominant one.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Scott

    Rebooting in the right order, Scott, frequently resolves the symptom. If the
    problem comes back again, re read the articles, or post back here and we'll go
    over the solution.

    --
    Cheers,
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/