    modifications that caused this problem. All the problem clients are
    identical in hardware and set-up. Can anyone please tell me a setting that
    will help. Thanks

    JD, Jul 10, 2003

  2. JD

    ooyah Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    news:k5gPa.2$...
    > I have several Windows 2000 Pro laptops that do not register themselves

    with
    > the master browser on the same segment. I have tried the "browstat
    > announce" command from the resource kit with no success. It is not a name
    > resolution issue as the clients can pull down the browse list, and they

    can
    > resolve the master browser as well as all backup browsers. I have ruled

    out
    > the master browser as fault, by switching the master duties to another
    > server, as well I have many other computers registered from this segment.

    > think it must be a registry setting or lacking service that causes the
    > problem. . These were all built to corporate specs and may have had
    > modifications that caused this problem. All the problem clients are
    > identical in hardware and set-up. Can anyone please tell me a setting that
    > will help. Thanks

    hello

    do you have entries in wins for the master browsers of the domains that the
    laptops are members of?

    regardss

    ooyah, Jul 10, 2003

  3. JD

    ooyah Guest

    "ooyah" <> wrote in message
    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    > > I have several Windows 2000 Pro laptops that do not register themselves

    > with
    > > the master browser on the same segment. I have tried the "browstat
    > > announce" command from the resource kit with no success. It is not a

    name
    > > resolution issue as the clients can pull down the browse list, and they

    > can
    > > resolve the master browser as well as all backup browsers. I have ruled

    > out
    > > the master browser as fault, by switching the master duties to another
    > > server, as well I have many other computers registered from this

    segment.
    > > think it must be a registry setting or lacking service that causes the
    > > problem. . These were all built to corporate specs and may have had
    > > modifications that caused this problem. All the problem clients are
    > > identical in hardware and set-up. Can anyone please tell me a setting

    that
    > > will help. Thanks
    > >

    > hello
    >
    > do you have entries in wins for the master browsers of the domains that

    the
    > laptops are members of?
    >
    > regards

    hello again

    forgot to say following on from before.........and the laptops are properly
    configuredc for wins and netbios for tcp/ip is enabled via dhcp or manually
    ( depends if you give out your client ip details or not )

    regards

    ooyah, Jul 10, 2003
  4. JD

    ooyah Guest

    hello

    yep, i think it must be a client problem, when the laptops are booted and
    are up and running they should broadcast saying 'hello i'm over here', once
    the master browser receives these broadcasts it should add the laptops to
    the browser list, the back up browsers will then ask the master browser for
    the browser list etc,etc

    however you said that other computers are being added to the browser list by
    the master browser, so clearly these laptops are not broadcasting - but why?

    the laptop computers will use the server service to make these broadcasts,
    make sure this services is there, set to automatically start and is started

    apart from that i'm not to sure what else to suggest, if your back end is
    set up is and the set up of all the clients are configured the same

    regards

    ooyah, Jul 10, 2003