    black) except _ kind of mark on left upper corner.

    So what the hell is this problem?
    , Sep 7, 2008

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > So here is my problem. This started about 12 hours ago when my
    > computer just freezed. Nothing happened, I couldnt move the cursor and
    > no sounds. After rebooting when I tried to open My Computer, it
    > crashed before I could see any files etc. I thought that I should get
    > updates for Windows. Same thing happened to IE. Same thing happens to
    > Search, Control Panel etc.
    > Now when one of those crashes, my computer freezes 1-2 minutes after
    > that. If I dont open any of those, it freezes about 45-60 min after
    > turning my PC on.
    >
    > Thats not all. I can't install Windows either. When I go to BIOS setup
    > and put CDROM as 1st boot...thing, it freezes AGAIN when computer
    > tries to launch WinXP install disc. There's nothing on the screen (all
    > black) except _ kind of mark on left upper corner.
    >
    > So what the hell is this problem?

    Remove the memory (RAM) and try to boot. If that works, then put in ONE
    stick of memory until it crashes. The stick that makes it crash is
    defective.

    That's my guess.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 7, 2008

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 7, 2008
  4. Christie Guest

    Can you boot into Safe Mode? Do you know how to do that?

    How about booting in Safe Mode and doing a System Restore to an earlier
    point?
    Christie, Sep 8, 2008
  5. Christie Guest

    Christie, Sep 8, 2008
  6. saycheez Guest

    The most common causes:
    Hard drive failure (my first guess)
    Power supply failure
    RAM stick (these usually fail out of the box).
    saycheez, Sep 8, 2008
  7. saycheez Guest

    The most common causes:
    saycheez, Sep 8, 2008
  8. "Christie" <> wrote in message
    > Can you boot into Safe Mode? Do you know how to do that?
    >
    > How about booting in Safe Mode and doing a System Restore to an earlier
    > point?

    Of course you can boot to Safe Mode. You simply press the F8 key (this is a
    timing issue, you have to press F8 repeatedly to get the right time) and
    select Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Command Prompt, depending on what you
    want to do.

    I'm not sure that you can do a System Restore, but I don't think that is
    your problem. I had a machine recently that would lock durring Boot, and the
    memory was bad.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 8, 2008

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 8, 2008