    Barb

    thank you

    Barb

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?=, Jan 10, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?=

    Malke Guest

    Barbara wrote:

    > I have networked my computers one is a pc and the other a wireless
    > laptop. Both running Win XP Home. They have no problem sharing the
    > internet connection but cannot see each other. Neither can see any
    > other computer. At one point they could see each other on the PC but
    > when I clicked on the laptop I received the error "You may not have
    > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
    > this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    > The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
    > I also cannot ping the laptop from the PC
    > I am a newbie at this and have been reading knowledge base articles
    > for days now and am no farther ahead. Would appreciate any help anyone
    > has to offer. My frustration level is reaching its end.
    > Thank You
    > Barb

    Since you've been "reading knowledge base articles for days", I won't
    give you links to any more. ;-) However, it would be useful for you to
    go through MVP Hans-Georg Michna's troubleshooter here:

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    This will take you through step-by-step and help you narrow down the
    issue. After you've gone through the troubleshooter, if you need more
    help then post back to this thread and tell us the results.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Jan 10, 2005

  3. www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Thanks Carey & Malke...finally got everything working great. Turns out Norton
    Security running on the laptop was the culprit. One of the first things I
    tried ..didn't work until I uninstalled it altogether. Anybody having same
    problem I recommend uninstalling all firewalls before trying anything else.
    Cheers
    Barb

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?=, Jan 10, 2005
  5. That's why it's step #1 at www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Thanks for following up!
    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Check Windows XP firewall

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Ft?=, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Good afternoon Barbara,
    I have exactly the same problem. Would you please tell me how to
    uninstalling the firewalls, step by step? Do I have to do this on both
    desktop and laptop?
    Thank you,
    Antoine

    =?Utf-8?B?QW50b2luZSBOZXcgTUk=?=, Jan 11, 2005
  8. If you are running a third party firewall then goto control panel and choose
    add/remove programs and remove your firewall.

    If you are using sp2's firewall, goto control panel and choose windows
    firewall and turn it off.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 11, 2005