Computers acquire IP address from wrong WLAN.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?dG9ycGVzY28=?=, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    Odd problem with a couple computers -- one laptop, one desktop, both with XP
    Pro sp2.

    Topology:

    PC . . . . . D-Link 524 (as access point) . . . . . Laptop

    +----LAN----Sonicwall (firewall/DHCP)---Internet

    This problem started happening recently, when a neighbour set up an access
    point. Both the PC and laptop were set to automatically connect to our
    network (GC) but to NOT automatically connect to the neighbour's (linksys).

    When the computers power up, they get an IP address from the linksys DHCP
    server (192.168.1.x), but say that they're connected to GC. The problem is
    that they can't talk to anything on the GC network because our network subnet
    is 192.168.100.0/24.

    This happens consistently when the neighbour's linksys is powered on.

    Generally, by doing the right-click->repair option on the tray icon, a valid
    IP address is obtained from our DHCP server. "ipconfig /release", "ipconfig
    /renew" does not work prior to the full-out repair operation.

    If I statically configure an IP address instead of DHCP, there doesn't seem
    to be a problem connecting to the internal network. However, the Sonicwall
    then doesn't route traffic out to the Internet -- and I don't have access to
    the Sonicwall -- so using a static IP address is not currently a viable
    option.

    Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Is there any way to solve this
    problem, keeping DHCP turned on?

    The people who generally use the PC are a frequently-changing group and a
    good number are not technically savy, so asking them to repair the network
    every time they turn on the computer is also not a realistic option.

    Thanks,
    James.
    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ycGVzY28=?=, Jul 5, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ycGVzY28=?=

    Guest

    On 5-Jul-2006, =?Utf-8?B?dG9ycGVzY28=?= <> wrote:

    > Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Is there any way to solve this
    > problem, keeping DHCP turned on?

    What about changing to a non-interfering channel so that GC and Linksys are
    on different channels. Or if on friendly terms get the Linksys channel changed,
    if there are on 1 or 2 PC's it might involve less work.

    > However, the Sonicwall
    > then doesn't route traffic out to the Internet

    Why - there shouldn't be any difference

    > I don't have access to
    > the Sonicwall

    You don't need physical access only administrative access,
    which begs the question
    Why - if you are adminstrating your (presumed legitimate users ?)
    group why does the Sonicwall administrator not cooperate?
    , Jul 5, 2006