Computer works great...until I plug it into the network.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Max, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. Max

    Max Guest

    What I have here has me and our computer service guy stumped. My work
    computer works fine just as it should. I came back from vacation and my
    computer was working fine then as well. I rebooted my computer (can't
    remember why) and it locked up immediately after reboot. We sent it in
    for servicing and the service guy reinstalled the operating system
    (Windows ME) because an upgrade costs actual dollars and my boss won't
    approve it things that cost actual dollars.

    Venting aside, when I get the computer back it works fine until I plug
    it into the network. Then it freezes. The mouse will move around the
    screen, but when I try to open or run anything it just.....sits
    there.....I have to reboot it without it being plugged into the network
    to get it running again.

    What's the problem? I have a suspicion that it has something to do with
    the generator that kicks on once a week. The facility will lose power
    during the transfer to generator power then lose it again during the
    transfer back to the city's feed. My computer has no UPS. Any
    suggestions on where I can find the solution to this problem or what it
    may be?

    Max, Dec 3, 2005

  2. Max

    Fakename Guest

    Have your IT guy try a different NIC.

    Fakename, Dec 3, 2005

  3. Max

    Guest

    The network card may be defective. This is also known as the NIC. If
    the computer can handle XP, it would be a lot more stable.

    If you can even go to Win 98, the computer will be much better than
    with ME. I have had a lot of problems with ME.

    Jerry G.
    ======

    , Dec 3, 2005