computer won't turn on - and then it does.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by justin*tyme, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. justin*tyme

    justin*tyme Guest

    Just returned from several week vacation. Tried to turn on the computer and
    ....nothing. No lights, no hum, no beeps. As if complete lack of power. I
    wiggled the power cord, switched to various outlets, and gave it a gentle
    thump on the top. (Hey, it works for the TV!). Still nothing. Went to look
    up the support number for this Dell Dimension L880R. Came back, pushed the
    on button again, just for grins and VOILA! It booted up just fine.

    Any thoughts as to likely culprit??

    Con-fused
     
    justin*tyme, Aug 14, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. justin*tyme

    Brian H¹© Guest

    X-No-Archive: Yes
    justin*tyme said:

    > Just returned from several week vacation. Tried to turn on the computer and
    > ...nothing. No lights, no hum, no beeps. As if complete lack of power. I
    > wiggled the power cord, switched to various outlets, and gave it a gentle
    > thump on the top. (Hey, it works for the TV!). Still nothing. Went to look
    > up the support number for this Dell Dimension L880R. Came back, pushed the
    > on button again, just for grins and VOILA! It booted up just fine.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to likely culprit??
    >
    > Con-fused


    You probably woke the sloth out of hibernation when you banged on the top.
    He might have needed to make himself a coffee before getting back to work.
     
    Brian H¹©, Aug 14, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Brian H¹© wrote:

    > X-No-Archive: Yes
    > justin*tyme said:
    >
    >> Just returned from several week vacation. Tried to turn on the computer
    >> and ...nothing. No lights, no hum, no beeps. As if complete lack of
    >> power. I wiggled the power cord, switched to various outlets, and gave it
    >> a gentle thump on the top. (Hey, it works for the TV!). Still nothing.
    >> Went to look
    >> up the support number for this Dell Dimension L880R. Came back, pushed
    >> the on button again, just for grins and VOILA! It booted up just fine.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts as to likely culprit??
    >>
    >> Con-fused

    >
    > You probably woke the sloth out of hibernation when you banged on the top.
    > He might have needed to make himself a coffee before getting back to work.
    >
    >

    In technical terms: Applying gravitic acceleration to the case resulted in a
    film of molecular accumulation on the pins of various circuit cards being
    broken enough to permit current to pass. (Hitting it caused corroded
    connections to connect again.) You might consider cracking the case,
    blowing the crap out of the thing with canned air, and re-seating all of
    the boards and connectors.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    gary at cdfound dot org / http:// geetee dot cdfound dot org
    "The two most abundant things in the universe
    are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison
     
    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 14, 2003
    #3
  4. justin*tyme

    Plato Guest

    justin*tyme wrote:
    >
    > wiggled the power cord, switched to various outlets, and gave it a gentle
    > thump on the top. (Hey, it works for the TV!). Still nothing. Went to look
    > up the support number for this Dell Dimension L880R. Came back, pushed the
    > on button again, just for grins and VOILA! It booted up just fine.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to likely culprit??


    I guess it just needed a spanking.


    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
     
    Plato, Aug 15, 2003
    #4
  5. justin*tyme

    Plato Guest

    Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    >
    > In technical terms: Applying gravitic acceleration to the case resulted in a
    > film of molecular accumulation on the pins of various circuit cards being
    > broken enough to permit current to pass.


    Love it :)
     
    Plato, Aug 15, 2003
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. qwerty
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    7,234
    Sam Lowry
    Jan 7, 2004
  2. Kelvin @ SG
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    664
    *Vanguard*
    Feb 6, 2004
  3. johns
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    599
    johns
    Feb 6, 2004
  4. Ryan Bygland
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    1,002
    Mark²
    Jan 14, 2007
  5. sean

    PC does not start and does not turn off

    sean, Dec 27, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    525
Loading...

Share This Page