computer wont start

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dave thomas, Feb 10, 2008.

  1. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    hello

    my mates computer wont start and hes asked me for help. apparently his kids
    pulled the power cable out, and also the monitor lead. he put them back and
    restarted it and it seemed ok i think. but then he switched it off to go
    out, and now when he switches it on theres nothing.

    theres obviously power to the pc as he says theres a green light flashing
    away at the back of it, but he doesnt know what thats for.

    the monitor works as theres some foreign writing on it as he switches it
    on. but he says it usually then kicks in with 'compaq' writing and boot up.
    now theres nothing. no fans, no option for pressing stuff for bios etc etc.
    just totally blank with the flashing light at the back

    can anyone shed any light on it please?

    thanks a lot

    dave
    dave thomas, Feb 10, 2008

  2. dave thomas

    philo Guest

    "dave thomas" <> wrote in message
    > hello
    >
    > my mates computer wont start and hes asked me for help. apparently his

    kids
    > pulled the power cable out, and also the monitor lead. he put them back

    and
    > restarted it and it seemed ok i think. but then he switched it off to go
    > out, and now when he switches it on theres nothing.
    >
    > theres obviously power to the pc as he says theres a green light flashing
    > away at the back of it, but he doesnt know what thats for.
    >
    > the monitor works as theres some foreign writing on it as he switches it
    > on. but he says it usually then kicks in with 'compaq' writing and boot

    up.
    > now theres nothing. no fans, no option for pressing stuff for bios etc

    etc.
    > just totally blank with the flashing light at the back
    >
    > can anyone shed any light on it please?
    >
    > thanks a lot
    >
    > dave

    Unplug the machine from the mains...
    then re-check all connections ...then try again
    philo, Feb 10, 2008

  3. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    hes done that already mate.

    thanks

    dave thomas, Feb 10, 2008
  4. dave thomas

    > hes done that already mate.
    >
    > thanks
    >

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "dave thomas" <> wrote in message
    > >> hello
    > >>
    > >> my mates computer wont start and hes asked me for help. apparently his

    > > kids
    > >> pulled the power cable out, and also the monitor lead. he put them

    back
    > > and
    > >> restarted it and it seemed ok i think. but then he switched it off to

    go
    > >> out, and now when he switches it on theres nothing.

    Then it's time to open up the machine and check all connections there.
    Possibly a loose video card...but I'd have a look at everything...
    You may want to unplug , then replug components such as video card...
    the kids might have loosened somthing when they were playing around with it.

    I'll tell you something. Kids today!

    Whew I was a kid (back in 1955) I *never* fooled around with my father's
    computer !!!!
    philo, Feb 10, 2008
  5. dave thomas

    meerkat Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "dave thomas" <> wrote in message
    >> hes done that already mate.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "dave thomas" <> wrote in message

    >> > kids

    > back
    >> > and

    > go

    > Then it's time to open up the machine and check all connections there.
    > Possibly a loose video card...but I'd have a look at everything...
    > You may want to unplug , then replug components such as video card...
    > the kids might have loosened somthing when they were playing around
    > with it.
    >
    > I'll tell you something. Kids today!
    >
    > Whew I was a kid (back in 1955) I *never* fooled around with my
    > father's
    > computer !!!!

    1955
    That was the year Bell Labs introduces its first transistor computer.
    Transistors are faster, smaller and create less heat than traditional
    vacuum tubes, making these computers more reliable and efficient.
    meerkat, Feb 10, 2008
  6. dave thomas

    philo Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "dave thomas" <> wrote in message
    > >> hes done that already mate.
    > >>
    > >> thanks
    > >>

    > >> "philo" <> wrote in message

    > > back

    > > go
    > >>

    > > Then it's time to open up the machine and check all connections there.
    > > Possibly a loose video card...but I'd have a look at everything...
    > > You may want to unplug , then replug components such as video card...
    > > the kids might have loosened somthing when they were playing around
    > > with it.
    > >
    > > I'll tell you something. Kids today!
    > >
    > > Whew I was a kid (back in 1955) I *never* fooled around with my
    > > father's
    > > computer !!!!
    > >

    > 1955
    > That was the year Bell Labs introduces its first transistor computer.
    > Transistors are faster, smaller and create less heat than traditional
    > vacuum tubes, making these computers more reliable and efficient.

    And that is the same year our family got our first TV (an Admiral)

    The channel tuner had numbers 2 - 13 and we had just one station.
    I forgot if it was channel 2 or 3.
    Anyway, my mother just told me to leave it there...but I asked what the
    other numbers were for.

    She just replied , "I don't know"

    The other thing that's interesting about the year 1955 was that was the year
    our technology was advanced
    enough to create a desktop computer.
    Yep. In 1955 we had the technology to build a *desk* that was as large as an
    entire city block
    and cold hold 100,000 tons <G> !
    philo, Feb 10, 2008
  7. dave thomas

    meerkat Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "dave thomas" <> wrote in message

    >> > back
    >> > go
    >> >>

    >> > Then it's time to open up the machine and check all connections
    >> > there.
    >> > Possibly a loose video card...but I'd have a look at everything...
    >> > You may want to unplug , then replug components such as video
    >> > card...
    >> > the kids might have loosened somthing when they were playing around
    >> > with it.
    >> >
    >> > I'll tell you something. Kids today!
    >> >
    >> > Whew I was a kid (back in 1955) I *never* fooled around with my
    >> > father's
    >> > computer !!!!
    >> >

    >> 1955
    >> That was the year Bell Labs introduces its first transistor computer.
    >> Transistors are faster, smaller and create less heat than traditional
    >> vacuum tubes, making these computers more reliable and efficient.
    >>

    > And that is the same year our family got our first TV (an Admiral)
    >
    > The channel tuner had numbers 2 - 13 and we had just one station.
    > I forgot if it was channel 2 or 3.
    > Anyway, my mother just told me to leave it there...but I asked what
    > the
    > other numbers were for.
    >
    > She just replied , "I don't know"
    >

    > The other thing that's interesting about the year 1955 was that was
    > the year
    > our technology was advanced
    > enough to create a desktop computer.
    > Yep. In 1955 we had the technology to build a *desk* that was as large
    > as an
    > entire city block
    > and cold hold 100,000 tons <G> !

    Best smile of the day, so far %> ).
    meerkat, Feb 10, 2008
  8. dave thomas

    philo Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "philo" <> wrote in message

    <portions snipped for brevity>

    > > The other thing that's interesting about the year 1955 was that was
    > > the year
    > > our technology was advanced
    > > enough to create a desktop computer.
    > > Yep. In 1955 we had the technology to build a *desk* that was as large
    > > as an
    > > entire city block
    > > and cold hold 100,000 tons <G> !
    > >

    > Best smile of the day, so far %> ).

    If I had any sense I'd quit while I'm ahead...but that made me think of one
    more.

    *The day I stopped reading science fiction*

    In the 1960's I read nothing about science fiction...
    especially Isaac Asimov...and I read and believed everything.
    Ray Guns, interstellar travel etc...no problem.

    Then maybe 1964 or so, in one of his books, Asimov mentioned a *desk top*
    computer!
    Riiiight.
    Now he's gone too far. That will *never* happen. I grew up I guess and
    stopped reading sci-fi.

    In just a few years though, it came true!

    The other day there was even a news article about how someone learned how to
    multiply
    by using a pencil and paper...just as predicted by science fiction many
    years past
    philo, Feb 10, 2008
  9. dave thomas

    Ben Myers Guest

    "dave thomas" <> wrote in message news:lrErj.13827$...
    > hello
    > my mates computer wont start and hes asked me for help. apparently his kids
    > pulled the power cable out, and also the monitor lead. he put them back and
    > restarted it and it seemed ok i think. but then he switched it off to go
    > out, and now when he switches it on theres nothing.
    > theres obviously power to the pc as he says theres a green light flashing
    > away at the back of it, but he doesnt know what thats for.
    > the monitor works as theres some foreign writing on it as he switches it
    > on. but he says it usually then kicks in with 'compaq' writing and boot up.
    > now theres nothing. no fans, no option for pressing stuff for bios etc etc.
    > just totally blank with the flashing light at the back
    > can anyone shed any light on it please?

    Unplug the computer, open the case and remove and reseat the memory
    modules. Also, remove and reseat any peripheral cards, including the video
    card if there is one.

    Ben
    Ben Myers, Feb 10, 2008
  10. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    ok ben, ill get him to try that

    thanks

    dave thomas, Feb 10, 2008
  11. dave thomas

    Guest

    "philo" <> wrote:

    >In the 1960's I read nothing about science fiction...
    >especially Isaac Asimov...and I read and believed everything.
    >Ray Guns, interstellar travel etc...no problem.
    >
    >Then maybe 1964 or so, in one of his books, Asimov mentioned a *desk top*
    >computer!
    >Riiiight.
    >Now he's gone too far. That will *never* happen. I grew up I guess and
    >stopped reading sci-fi.

    One of Asimov better short stories "The Last Question" was about a
    computer http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html with a memorable
    twist.

    --

    Fascism
    http://www.fivefourteen.net/motivational-posters/fascism.jpg
  12. dave thomas

    philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "philo" <> wrote:
    >
    > >In the 1960's I read nothing about science fiction...
    > >especially Isaac Asimov...and I read and believed everything.
    > >Ray Guns, interstellar travel etc...no problem.
    > >
    > >Then maybe 1964 or so, in one of his books, Asimov mentioned a *desk top*
    > >computer!
    > >Riiiight.
    > >Now he's gone too far. That will *never* happen. I grew up I guess and
    > >stopped reading sci-fi.

    > One of Asimov better short stories "The Last Question" was about a
    > computer http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html with a memorable
    > twist.

    I vaguely recall reading that story...but it think it was several trillion
    years ago.

    I once sent Asimov a letter and got a very brief reply.
    he liked to write so much , he probably answered all of his mail.

    In the newspaper, he had some kind of Quiz that is still being
    published AFAIK.
    Though someone else is obviously writing it...
    I do recall that the actual ones he wrote personally
    appeared for many years after his death!
    philo, Feb 10, 2008
  13. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    hes tried that and it not work. then he tried unplugging PSU to
    motherboard, leaving it 5 mins, then tried again. still no good.

    but he HAS noticed that the flashing light at the back is on the PSU.

    is that some sort of sign that the PSU is kaputt? does it mean anything to
    anyone?

    thanks a lot

    dave

    dave thomas, Feb 10, 2008
  14. dave thomas

    > hes tried that and it not work. then he tried unplugging PSU to
    > motherboard, leaving it 5 mins, then tried again. still no good.
    >
    > but he HAS noticed that the flashing light at the back is on the PSU.
    >
    > is that some sort of sign that the PSU is kaputt? does it mean anything

    > anyone?
    >
    > thanks a lot
    >
    > dave

    Next step, if he already checked all the components etc
    would be to reset the bios back to factory defaults...

    Near the cmos battery. (a small silver disk about the size of your
    thumbnail)
    there should be three pins with a jumper connecting two of them.

    With the computer unplugged...move the jumper over to the *other* position,
    then put it back as it originally was.

    Now, hopefully the machine will boot up.
    If it does, you will need to reset the data and time
    philo, Feb 10, 2008
  15. dave thomas

    chuckcar Guest

    "dave thomas" <> wrote in

    > hello
    >
    > my mates computer wont start and hes asked me for help. apparently
    > his kids pulled the power cable out, and also the monitor lead. he
    > put them back and restarted it and it seemed ok i think. but then he
    > switched it off to go out, and now when he switches it on theres
    > nothing.
    >
    > theres obviously power to the pc as he says theres a green light
    > flashing away at the back of it, but he doesnt know what thats for.
    >
    > the monitor works as theres some foreign writing on it as he switches
    > it on. but he says it usually then kicks in with 'compaq' writing and
    > boot up. now theres nothing. no fans, no option for pressing stuff
    > for bios etc etc. just totally blank with the flashing light at the
    > back
    >
    > can anyone shed any light on it please?

    Something that doesn't require opening the case: unplug the computer,
    hold in the power button for 30 seconds (use a watch, timing is
    *crutial*), release the button and plug the computer back in. If this
    fixes it, his power supply is dying and needs replacing.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Feb 10, 2008
  16. dave thomas

    Guest

    "dave thomas" <> wrote:

    >hes tried that and it not work. then he tried unplugging PSU to
    >motherboard, leaving it 5 mins, then tried again. still no good.
    >
    >but he HAS noticed that the flashing light at the back is on the PSU.
    >
    >is that some sort of sign that the PSU is kaputt? does it mean anything to
    >anyone?

    I have a green light on my PSU, it's a steady green, if it were
    blinking, I would be concerned for it's well being.
    --

    Fascism
    http://www.fivefourteen.net/motivational-posters/fascism.jpg
    , Feb 10, 2008
  17. dave thomas

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:45:24 -0800, wrote:

    > "dave thomas" <> wrote:
    >
    >>hes tried that and it not work. then he tried unplugging PSU to
    >>motherboard, leaving it 5 mins, then tried again. still no good.
    >>
    >>but he HAS noticed that the flashing light at the back is on the PSU.
    >>
    >>is that some sort of sign that the PSU is kaputt? does it mean anything to
    >>anyone?

    >I have a green light on my PSU, it's a steady green, if it were
    >blinking, I would be concerned for it's well being.

    Maybe the carburetor should be primed. And the quadrupling pin pulled.
    joevan, Feb 10, 2008
  18. dave thomas

    Guest

    joevan <> wrote:

    >>I have a green light on my PSU, it's a steady green, if it were
    >>blinking, I would be concerned for it's well being.

    >Maybe the carburetor should be primed. And the quadrupling pin pulled.

    Priming could get it going, but once the pin is pulled it must be
    tossed, not once but multiple times.

    --

    The difference between atheists and Christians
    http://cam2009.googlepages.com/atheistsvschristians.jpg
  19. dave thomas

    catchme Guest

    philo wrote:

    > If I had any sense I'd quit while I'm ahead...but that made me think of one
    > more.
    >
    > *The day I stopped reading science fiction*
    >
    > In the 1960's I read nothing about science fiction...
    > especially Isaac Asimov...and I read and believed everything.
    > Ray Guns, interstellar travel etc...no problem.
    >
    > Then maybe 1964 or so, in one of his books, Asimov mentioned a *desk top*
    > computer!
    > Riiiight.
    > Now he's gone too far. That will *never* happen. I grew up I guess and
    > stopped reading sci-fi.
    >
    > In just a few years though, it came true!
    >
    > The other day there was even a news article about how someone learned how to
    > multiply
    > by using a pencil and paper...just as predicted by science fiction many
    > years past

    science fiction is a wonderful phenomenon, beginning with Jules Verne
    and right up until today.
    Jules Verne, in the 19th century, predicted the Saturn rocket (though he
    was wrong about the launch), predicted weightlessness in space (though
    drinking tea from cups in zero-g didnt pose much of a problem),
    explained the theory of using various gravities to speed up and/or alter
    course trajectories,
    thought of the fax machine, submarines, and many more that i cant even
    think about right now....
    reading his books is both a source of entertainment (evinced by the
    picture of men in dungarees drinking "high tea" in weightlessness) as
    much as a renewed sense of wow that someone could predict technologies
    up to 200 years! ahead of his time.

    some authors focus on the geopolitics of an era (cold-war sci-fi), and
    their beliefs as to the outcomes (destruction of earth? a discovery of a
    new world? colonising the Moon and having a new Civil War and/or War of
    Independence?), whilst some focus on an idea....something man has yet to
    accomplish, and think of the science required to get there.
    The achievements of Verne are solidly placed in the latter category.
    catchme, Feb 11, 2008
  20. dave thomas

    philo Guest

    "catchme" <> wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >

    > > If I had any sense I'd quit while I'm ahead...but that made me think of

    one
    > > more.
    > >
    > > *The day I stopped reading science fiction*
    > >
    > > In the 1960's I read nothing about science fiction...
    > > especially Isaac Asimov...and I read and believed everything.
    > > Ray Guns, interstellar travel etc...no problem.
    > >
    > > Then maybe 1964 or so, in one of his books, Asimov mentioned a *desk

    top*
    > > computer!
    > > Riiiight.
    > > Now he's gone too far. That will *never* happen. I grew up I guess and
    > > stopped reading sci-fi.
    > >
    > > In just a few years though, it came true!
    > >
    > > The other day there was even a news article about how someone learned

    how to
    > > multiply
    > > by using a pencil and paper...just as predicted by science fiction many
    > > years past
    > >

    > science fiction is a wonderful phenomenon, beginning with Jules Verne
    > and right up until today.
    > Jules Verne, in the 19th century, predicted the Saturn rocket (though he
    > was wrong about the launch), predicted weightlessness in space (though
    > drinking tea from cups in zero-g didnt pose much of a problem),
    > explained the theory of using various gravities to speed up and/or alter
    > course trajectories,
    > thought of the fax machine, submarines, and many more that i cant even
    > think about right now....
    > reading his books is both a source of entertainment (evinced by the
    > picture of men in dungarees drinking "high tea" in weightlessness) as
    > much as a renewed sense of wow that someone could predict technologies
    > up to 200 years! ahead of his time.
    >
    > some authors focus on the geopolitics of an era (cold-war sci-fi), and
    > their beliefs as to the outcomes (destruction of earth? a discovery of a
    > new world? colonising the Moon and having a new Civil War and/or War of
    > Independence?), whilst some focus on an idea....something man has yet to
    > accomplish, and think of the science required to get there.
    > The achievements of Verne are solidly placed in the latter category.

    Yes , Verne was quite amazing. His moon shot even took place from southern
    Florida...
    not Cape Canaveral...but close enough
    philo, Feb 11, 2008