    boot disk, no luck. Should I try resetting my CMOS/BIOS and if so how
    do I do that? Any way to see if it is the motherboard battery?
    , Apr 2, 2006

  2. Guest

    now I'm not getting any beeps!!
    , Apr 2, 2006

  3. Guest

    ok the beeps are back, 2 then 8 then 2 then 1

    > now I'm not getting any beeps!!
    , Apr 2, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > I get 2, followed by 8, followed by 3 bios beeps. I have tried with a
    > boot disk, no luck. Should I try resetting my CMOS/BIOS and if so how
    > do I do that? Any way to see if it is the motherboard battery?

    Inspect your mainboard for shortages, your cpu cooler for correct seating,
    the fan for operation, and try another powersupply.
    Bios beeps don't tell too much unless you tell us the bios brand too.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Apr 2, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > ok the beeps are back, 2 then 8 then 2 then 1
    >
    > wrote:
    >

    >>now I'm not getting any beeps!!

    We need a tad more info (motherboard, BIOS for example).
    It's probably RAM, but that is just a guess.
    ::Your Name Here::, Apr 2, 2006
  6. Ponder Guest

    Hiya .

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > I get 2, followed by 8, followed by 3 bios beeps. I have tried with a
    > boot disk, no luck. Should I try resetting my CMOS/BIOS and if so how
    > do I do that? Any way to see if it is the motherboard battery?

    Anything with 8 it *normally* RAM based. I could be wrong but it's the
    first thing I'd check.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Apr 2, 2006
  7. philo Guest

    "Ponder" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya .
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> I get 2, followed by 8, followed by 3 bios beeps. I have tried with a
    >> boot disk, no luck. Should I try resetting my CMOS/BIOS and if so how
    >> do I do that? Any way to see if it is the motherboard battery?

    > Anything with 8 it *normally* RAM based. I could be wrong but it's the
    > first thing I'd check.

    That's probably correct...
    most bios error messages are either to do with RAM or video...
    so just open the machine and reseat the RAM and the video
    philo, Apr 2, 2006
  8. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I get 2, followed by 8, followed by 3 bios beeps. I have tried with a
    > boot disk, no luck. Should I try resetting my CMOS/BIOS and if so how
    > do I do that? Any way to see if it is the motherboard battery?

    Generally due to:

    1. Mis-seated video card
    2. Mis-seated ram or bad ram

    --