    AMD Athalon 2600 processor - Not new
    2 x 512mb DDR 333mhz pc2700 memory - Not new

    Any pointers where to start please.
    Champ, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Champ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Champ spewed forth:
    > Putting together system from spare parts, wont boot up.
    > Press power on switch, kicks in, CPU fan starts et,c but then dies
    > after about 5 seconds
    > Everything disconnected apart from monitor, no beeps from speaker or
    > video display
    >
    > Asrock K7S41GX Mother board - New
    > AMD Athalon 2600 processor - Not new
    > 2 x 512mb DDR 333mhz pc2700 memory - Not new
    >
    > Any pointers where to start please.

    Disassemble. Check pins on CPU. Double-check orientation of CPU when you put
    it back in. Put bare minimum of parts back in - nothing extra, one memory
    stick.

    In my experience, no beeps usually is bad power supply or CPU or CPU is in
    wrong. Do you have the extra CPU power connecter attached?

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!
    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2005

  3. Champ

    mdp Guest

    Before checking, remove as much as possible (IDE connections, PCI cards,
    etc). Common problems:

    Doesn't like the memory. Take it out and reseat it. Use one stick at a
    time.
    Overheats. Ensure heatsink is making proper contact with CPU. Ensure CPU
    fan is connected to the MB on the right header (if provided).
    MB jumpers are set properly for CPU, memory, etc. Note: 266MHz FSB CPU runs
    at 2133MHz = 133MHz x 16. 333MHz FSB CPU runs at 1917MHz = 166MHz x 11.5.
    If you have an external video card, reseat it too.

    mdp, Dec 11, 2005
  4. Champ

    Champ Guest

    "Champ" <> wrote in message
    > Putting together system from spare parts, wont boot up.
    > Press power on switch, kicks in, CPU fan starts et,c but then dies

    after
    > about 5 seconds
    > Everything disconnected apart from monitor, no beeps from speaker or
    > video display
    >
    > Asrock K7S41GX Mother board - New
    > AMD Athalon 2600 processor - Not new
    > 2 x 512mb DDR 333mhz pc2700 memory - Not new
    >
    > Any pointers where to start please.

    Thanks both for your replies. No success yet, must have bad memory CPU
    or PS.
    Will have to find parts to swap out
    Cheers
    Champ, Dec 12, 2005