Computer won't start up - hardware problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by briqq86@yahoo.co.uk, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. Guest

    (PC was fully working for last 3 years and is computer-shop built)

    On powering up, the psu and cpu fans spool up, and the power light on
    the case turns on. There are no post bleeps that you normally get if
    your gfx card or memory is bad or missing, and i tried d/c'ing the
    memory, gfx card, floppy drive and all IDE devices. Same effect.

    Normally in that situation u'd get a post bleep for the no gfx card,
    and if you reconnect the gfx ud get a bleep for no ram, and an error
    message for no ram. However the computer dosnt even get that far.

    This leaves the mobo and cpu. The last time i fixed a pc im pretty sure
    the system checks for a working cpu *after* checking for gfx and
    memory, so IMO the system isnt even getting far enough into startup to
    even look for a cpu. Test by removing the CPU? Tried to do that, but
    the damn heatsink overlaps the zif handle, and i snapped the bloody zif
    handle trying to pry it over the top of the HS..... :(

    So im thinkin, dead mobo, screwed bios, or dead cmos battery. Anyone
    think they know the problem from this description?

    Also, dead mobo's and batteries are easy enough to replace (although if
    its the mobo im pretty sure it will mean a new cpu too since with no
    zif handle its as good as being soldered on), but how do you fix a
    bios? Ive heard people say use a program to 'flash' it but i cant even
    get to the ram test screen, let alone an os to run programs on!
    , Oct 18, 2006

  2. pcdoc2010 Guest

    have you tried removing the gfx card and then trying to boot? You
    won't get any video but you might get your post beeps. As far as the
    bios goes, I have only heard of flashing it.
    Not sure of the cmos battery either. I have a pc at work that the
    battery has been dead for awhile now and all it does is not save the
    date and time upon a reboot.

    Dan

    pcdoc2010, Oct 18, 2006

  3. PeeCee Guest

    wrote:
    > (PC was fully working for last 3 years and is computer-shop built)
    >
    > On powering up, the psu and cpu fans spool up, and the power light on
    > the case turns on. There are no post bleeps that you normally get if
    > your gfx card or memory is bad or missing, and i tried d/c'ing the
    > memory, gfx card, floppy drive and all IDE devices. Same effect.
    >
    > Normally in that situation u'd get a post bleep for the no gfx card,
    > and if you reconnect the gfx ud get a bleep for no ram, and an error
    > message for no ram. However the computer dosnt even get that far.
    >
    > This leaves the mobo and cpu. The last time i fixed a pc im pretty sure
    > the system checks for a working cpu *after* checking for gfx and
    > memory,

    No you need a working CPU / motherboard to even start the boot up process.
    Have a read of this Wikipedia article to get the gist of what happens.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test

    so IMO the system isnt even getting far enough into startup to
    > even look for a cpu. Test by removing the CPU? Tried to do that, but
    > the damn heatsink overlaps the zif handle, and i snapped the bloody zif
    > handle trying to pry it over the top of the HS..... :(

    er you're supposed to remove the HS first.

    > So im thinkin, dead mobo, screwed bios, or dead cmos battery. Anyone
    > think they know the problem from this description?
    >
    > Also, dead mobo's and batteries are easy enough to replace (although if
    > its the mobo im pretty sure it will mean a new cpu too since with no
    > zif handle its as good as being soldered on), but how do you fix a
    > bios? Ive heard people say use a program to 'flash' it but i cant even
    > get to the ram test screen, let alone an os to run programs on!

    Classic method of troubleshooting a 'no post beep' PC is to remove all
    plug in cards & drives leaving only motherboard/CPU Graphics card and
    one stick of ram.

    If still no Beeps test the removable bits in a compatible working PC.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 18, 2006