    power settings.

    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6

    TIA BH

    Broom Hilda, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Broom Hilda

    Boomer Guest

    Broom Hilda said:

    > O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings
    > when I wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright
    > white arrow on black screen. The only way to start computer from
    > this point is to manually shut it down. It then starts, after
    > scanning. This does not happen in the day time when left alone
    > for hours. I have disabled all scheduled programs that run at
    > night. As this does not happen during day I don't think it has
    > anything to do with power settings.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
    >
    > TIA BH

    No need to post your message a second time.

    I posted a link to Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems at your
    first post.

    Boomer, Aug 11, 2003

  3. Broom Hilda

    boy wonder Guest

    Broom Hilda wrote:
    > O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings
    > when I wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright white
    > arrow on black screen. The only way to start computer from this
    > point is to manually shut it down. It then starts, after scanning.
    > This does not happen in the day time when left alone for hours. I
    > have disabled all scheduled programs that run at night.
    > As this does not happen during day I don't think it has anything to
    > do with power settings.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
    >
    > TIA BH

    I had problems like that. They came from power management.
    Just make sure you turn off any system suspend or standby options.
    in a nice empty space on your desktop, rt-click, select
    properties/screensavers/settings[energy saving features]/system standby make
    it "never"
    shutting down monitor ok, shutting down disk drives ok.
    this is because pwr management was made for laptops where you want to save
    battery life, the designers simply forgot to accomodate the typical desktop
    computer [ imagine that ! ]
    there might be other causes, but thats what it was for me, and others I have
    helped.
    --
    the abominable toner

    http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/

    boy wonder, Aug 11, 2003
  4. Broom Hilda

    °Mike° Guest

    See if this helps:

    Cannot Wake Computer from Standby with USB
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;264386

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:52:44 GMT, in
    <05OZa.699943$>
    Broom Hilda scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 11, 2003
  5. Broom Hilda

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Broom Hilda continued:

    > O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings
    > when I wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright white
    > arrow on black screen. The only way to start computer from this
    > point is to manually shut it down. It then starts, after scanning.
    > This does not happen in the day time when left alone for hours. I
    > have disabled all scheduled programs that run at night.
    > As this does not happen during day I don't think it has anything to
    > do with power settings.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
    >
    > TIA BH

    I'm the same, wiggling my mouse never gets me going in the morning. Have you
    tried playing music in another room and making it coffee ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Aug 11, 2003
  6. Broom Hilda

    Rick Guest

    "Broom Hilda" <> wrote in message
    > O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings when I
    > wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright white arrow on
    > black screen. The only way to start computer from this point is to

    manually
    > shut it down. It then starts, after scanning. This does not happen in

    the
    > day time when left alone for hours. I have disabled all scheduled

    programs
    > that run at night.
    > As this does not happen during day I don't think it has anything to do

    with
    > power settings.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
    >
    > TIA BH
    >
    > I think Slumpys suggestion of making it coffee will probably work. If the

    coffee isnt enough, offer it a doughnut or bagel with the coffee. Dont spoil
    it though, it might start asking for bacon and eggs.

    Rick, Aug 11, 2003
  7. Broom Hilda

    Broom Hilda Guest

    Slumpy stands for:......

    S.. Stupid
    L... Little
    U..Useless
    M..Moronic
    P..Prick
    Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.

    It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this wonderful
    NG a bad reputation.
    Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

    Broom Hilda, Aug 12, 2003
  8. Broom Hilda

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Broom Hilda continued:

    > Slumpy stands for:......
    >
    > S.. Stupid
    > L... Little
    > U..Useless
    > M..Moronic
    > P..Prick
    > Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.
    >
    > It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this
    > wonderful NG a bad reputation.
    > Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

    Nag nag nag, anyone with a name like Hilda should put the vacuum cleaner
    away, make a nice cuppa tea and **** Off You Boring **** With No Sense Of
    Humour.

    What a complete wanker, complains about bandwidth use, and can only come up
    with the above. Tosser.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Aug 12, 2003
  9. Broom Hilda

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Aug 12, 2003
  10. Broom Hilda

    Patrick Guest

    Broom Hilda wrote:
    > Slumpy stands for:......
    >
    > S.. Stupid
    > L... Little
    > U..Useless
    > M..Moronic
    > P..Prick
    > Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.
    >
    > It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this
    > wonderful NG a bad reputation.
    > Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

    Some folks don't even bother to read replies to thiere questions, never mind
    acknowledge them, so glad to see that your still with us (bla bla stuff).

    Patrick, Aug 12, 2003
  11. Broom Hilda

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Patrick continued:

    > Broom Hilda wrote:
    >> Slumpy stands for:......
    >>
    >> S.. Stupid
    >> L... Little
    >> U..Useless
    >> M..Moronic
    >> P..Prick
    >> Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.
    >>
    >> It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this
    >> wonderful NG a bad reputation.
    >> Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

    > Some folks don't even bother to read replies to thiere questions,
    > never mind acknowledge them, so glad to see that your still with us
    > (bla bla stuff).

    Yes, I live for recognition, even from people who have a humour deficiency.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Aug 12, 2003
  12. Broom Hilda

    Ieuan Adams Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message

    > "Broom Hilda" <> wrote in message
    > > O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings when I
    > > wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright white arrow on
    > > black screen. The only way to start computer from this point is to

    > manually
    > > shut it down. It then starts, after scanning. This does not happen in

    > the
    > > day time when left alone for hours. I have disabled all scheduled

    > programs
    > > that run at night.
    > > As this does not happen during day I don't think it has anything to do

    > with
    > > power settings.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
    > >
    > > TIA BH
    > >
    > > I think Slumpys suggestion of making it coffee will probably work. If

    the
    > coffee isnt enough, offer it a doughnut or bagel with the coffee. Dont

    spoil
    > it though, it might start asking for bacon and eggs.

    A couple of suggestions which you may have heard before, if so I apologise.
    Check the power saving settings, they may not be compatible with your
    hardware, also check to see if there are specific ones for the night which
    wouldn't then effect it during the day. Does a screen saver run at night
    that doesn't during the day, try turning it off or switching to a very
    standard one such as blank screen. I know there are problems between certain
    ATI Radeon drivers and the 3D pipes screen saver, refer to the read me file
    for the driver if you have this card as there's more detail there. Not
    really my business, but does the computer actually need to be left on
    overnight? Periodically restarting any OS (especially Windows, less so for
    UNIX) is a good idea if you ask me since it forces the computer to do some
    garbage collection and reorganise things. This is especially true of windows
    98 which can run out of system resources if left on it's own, maybe the
    computer has just keeled over during the night for this reason.
    Hope some of this helps,
    Ieuan

    ---
    Outgoing mail is, to the best of my virus checkers knowledge, virus free.

    Ieuan Adams, Aug 12, 2003
  13. "Broom Hilda" <> wrote:

    >Slumpy stands for:......
    >
    >S.. Stupid
    >L... Little
    >U..Useless
    >M..Moronic
    >P..Prick
    >Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.
    >
    >It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this wonderful
    >NG a bad reputation.

    That's all this useless tit ever does.

    >Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 13, 2003
  14. "Patrick" <> wrote:

    >Broom Hilda wrote:
    >> Slumpy stands for:......
    >>
    >> S.. Stupid
    >> L... Little
    >> U..Useless
    >> M..Moronic
    >> P..Prick
    >> Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.
    >>
    >> It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this
    >> wonderful NG a bad reputation.
    >> Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

    >Some folks don't even bother to read replies to thiere

    "their"

    > questions, never mind
    >acknowledge them, so glad to see that your

    "you're"

    > still with us

    There is no 'us'.

    HTH

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 13, 2003
  15. Broom Hilda

    nemo Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in message
    > Broom Hilda said:
    >
    > > O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings
    > > when I wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright
    > > white arrow on black screen. The only way to start computer from
    > > this point is to manually shut it down. It then starts, after
    > > scanning. This does not happen in the day time when left alone
    > > for hours. I have disabled all scheduled programs that run at
    > > night. As this does not happen during day I don't think it has
    > > anything to do with power settings.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
    > >
    > > TIA BH

    > No need to post your message a second time.
    >
    > I posted a link to Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems at your
    > first post.

    People make mistakes sometimes - even yourself. Be tolerant.

    nemo, Aug 15, 2003
  16. Broom Hilda

    Boomer Guest

    nemo said:

    > Boomer <> wrote in message
    >> Broom Hilda said:
    >>
    >> > O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few
    >> > mornings when I wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is
    >> > a bright white arrow on black screen. The only way to start
    >> > computer from this point is to manually shut it down. It then
    >> > starts, after scanning. This does not happen in the day time
    >> > when left alone for hours. I have disabled all scheduled
    >> > programs that run at night. As this does not happen during day
    >> > I don't think it has anything to do with power settings.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
    >> >
    >> > TIA BH

    >> No need to post your message a second time.
    >>
    >> I posted a link to Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems at
    >> your first post.
    >>

    > People make mistakes sometimes - even yourself. Be tolerant.

    That wasn't tolerant? Maybe I should have done this
    No need to post your message a second time. :) :) :)

    Plus I told him where to look for the possible answer to his/her
    question. In a reply to his original question.

    Boomer, Aug 15, 2003