Computer won't post

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bill Jones, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Bill Jones

    Bill Jones Guest

    I am having a problem solving this booting issue with a Compaq
    Presario 4010CL. The system was originally factory refurbished. Having
    the system for only one month the hard drive failed, and it was taken
    in for warranty work. They told me that the motherboard had to be
    replaced as well. All warranty work so no problem.

    Now a few months later (out of warranty of course) I was working on
    the computer doing a simple word document, and suddenly the system
    running Win XP Home (sp-2) froze solid. Tried to reboot the system and
    nothing. So I left it for a couple days and came back to try again and
    the system wouldn't even post. No beeps at all. So I took the case off
    and you could hear the fans start-up for a second then stop for a
    second then start-up again. Now this is all the system would do. So I
    replaced the power supply with a known good supply. Same thing. Fans
    start and stop and would continue this way forever and not boot or
    post. I then removed and re-sat all PCI devices, Ram, CPU. Computer
    then booted and was okay for a couple days then froze again. I once
    again removed and re-sat the CPU only and then started the computer
    and it worked. Again only for a few min's then froze and would not
    reboot.

    Now what I am I looking at replacing? Does this sound like a
    Motherboard problem, or is it the CPU? Or possibly something else.
    This system is not booting so I will try anything. All suggestions
    greatly appreciated.

    Bill Jones, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Bill Jones

    Guest

    Sounds like the mobo to me. I've always had plenty of parts around
    the shop to swap and problems like that were more often the board than
    the chip. Good luck.

    Rey
    ---
    http://RadioGuy.com
    http://www.RadioGuy.com

    , Dec 14, 2004

  3. "st" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe you need to replace the fan, cpu oveheats and freezes?
    >
    > "Bill Jones" <> wrote in message
    > > I am having a problem solving this booting issue with a Compaq
    > > Presario 4010CL. The system was originally factory refurbished. Having
    > > the system for only one month the hard drive failed, and it was taken
    > > in for warranty work. They told me that the motherboard had to be
    > > replaced as well. All warranty work so no problem.
    > >
    > > Now a few months later (out of warranty of course) I was working on
    > > the computer doing a simple word document, and suddenly the system
    > > running Win XP Home (sp-2) froze solid. Tried to reboot the system and
    > > nothing. So I left it for a couple days and came back to try again and
    > > the system wouldn't even post. No beeps at all. So I took the case off
    > > and you could hear the fans start-up for a second then stop for a
    > > second then start-up again. Now this is all the system would do. So I
    > > replaced the power supply with a known good supply. Same thing. Fans
    > > start and stop and would continue this way forever and not boot or
    > > post. I then removed and re-sat all PCI devices, Ram, CPU. Computer
    > > then booted and was okay for a couple days then froze again. I once
    > > again removed and re-sat the CPU only and then started the computer
    > > and it worked. Again only for a few min's then froze and would not
    > > reboot.
    > >
    > > Now what I am I looking at replacing? Does this sound like a
    > > Motherboard problem, or is it the CPU? Or possibly something else.
    > > This system is not booting so I will try anything. All suggestions
    > > greatly appreciated.

    Being a compaq I would bet it's a mobo failure, probably related to the dimm
    sockets... alhough heat might be the issue, the part about not wanting to
    boot
    is a problem I've run into in alot of compaqs, usually memory related...

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>

    «bonehead;\), Dec 14, 2004
  4. "Bill Jones" <> wrote in message

    > Now what I am I looking at replacing? Does this sound like a
    > Motherboard problem, or is it the CPU? Or possibly something else.
    > This system is not booting so I will try anything. All suggestions
    > greatly appreciated.

    I wouldn't rule out the CPU. One time, I didn't have mine seated all the
    way in the ZIF socket, and it had a similar non-boot...no beeps, fans just
    randomly spinned around, etc. I guess it's possible the old motherboard
    foobared the CPU, which apparently they didn't bother to replace when they
    reapired it.

    Or it could just be another bad motherboard...hard to say.

    Patrick Michael, Dec 16, 2004