    I have been to this site and I am completely confused at what I need to do
    in order to configure my computer to recognize wireless networks. Is this a
    simple fix?

    Zero Clue, Jul 16, 2008

  2. =?Utf-8?B?WmVybyBDbHVl?= <Zero > wrote
    in news:D:

    > When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other
    > wireless networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on
    > "view available wireless networks" this is the message I get:
    >
    > "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have
    > enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use
    > that software. If you want Windows to configure this wireless
    > connection, start the wireless zero configuration service. For
    > more information about starting the wzc service, see article
    > 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
    > site. "

    Believe it or else, in most cases this is perfectly normal. Windows
    comes with a "Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)" utility to manage
    the wireless connection. In many cases, the manufacturer of your
    wireless card/chipset has provided their own utility to replace the
    WZC utility -- this allows them to add functionality to control their
    version of the wireless chipset. When this is the case, you get the
    above error message when attempting to access WZC functions. What
    you need to do is look in your tray (next to the clock) and locate an
    icon belonging to the manufacturer's utility (HP, Broadcomm, Intel,
    Linksys, etc each have their own) and double click on that icon to
    launch the utility that manages your wireless connection.

    If you're still stuck, find out the manufacturer of your wireless
    card/chipset and visit their website for the latest version of their
    driver and control program.

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jul 16, 2008

  3. We just had a similar case last weekend. The user called Dell tech support
    for over one hour, but could not make it work using the Dell wireless
    utility. The simple solution is disable the Dell wireless utility and setup
    wireless using WZC.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jul 16, 2008
  4. Zero Clue

    Matt K Guest

    But what if you're trying to connect to your own wireless circle and
    OneCare's firewall won't allow you to connect wifi to an additional PC?

    Matt K, Aug 2, 2008
  5. Zero Clue

    Jeff S Guest

    I just love it when people pretend like they know what they're talking about.
    There is no Belkin icon in my tray, so it's pretty hard for me to click on
    it. Thanks John.

    Jeff S, Aug 7, 2008
  6. Zero Clue

    The Quiz Guest

    The Quiz, Aug 28, 2008
  7. Zero Clue

    matty bower Guest

    "Jeff S" wrote:

    > I just love it when people pretend like they know what they're talking about.
    > There is no Belkin icon in my tray, so it's pretty hard for me to click on
    > it. Thanks John.
    >
    > "John Wunderlich" wrote:
    > i know its just gay

    lol
    lol
    lol
    lol

    matty bower, Sep 6, 2008
  8. Zero Clue

    Arun Jha Guest

    Arun Jha, Sep 24, 2008
  9. Zero Clue

    steven Guest

    try to use wireless zero configuration instead

    go to "run".
    type "services.msc"
    find wireless zero configuration
    change the startup type to automatic.
    click start.
    click ok and restart.
    use wireless zero configuration for ease of mind.
    =)

    *this configuration applies to windows xp sp 2 n above, to identify go to
    system information.

    steven, Jan 6, 2009
  10. Hi
    In Vista the same can be type (services.msc).
    The service name is WLAN Auto Config.
    More about the issue here, http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 6, 2009
  11. Zero Clue

    refus Guest

    refus, Jan 8, 2009
  12. Zero Clue

    DKN Guest

    DKN, Feb 28, 2009
  13. Zero Clue

    BORRY65 Guest

    BORRY65, May 27, 2009
  14. Zero Clue

    tammy Guest

    I tryed this and it just said no wireless network in range.

    tammy, May 31, 2009
  15. thats not really helpful 4 me

    oljkhgkkfjilkjfhtghjjfjnnfnjngdfauihijgi, Jun 25, 2009
  16. Zero Clue

    PeteR Guest

    PeteR, Jun 28, 2009
  17. Zero Clue

    PeteR Guest

    Thank you.

    An explanation in words I can understand instad of "computerese"

    PeteR, Jun 28, 2009
  18. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZVI=?= <> wrote in

    > Thank you.
    >
    > An explanation in words I can understand instad of "computerese"

    You're welcome. We try.

    One of the challenges of responding to posts is to assess the level of
    the poster and reply appropriately. I have a simple mind, so it comes
    naturally. ;-)

    -- John

    John Wunderlich, Jun 28, 2009
  19. Zero Clue

    GORSA Guest

    At last! Thanks a lot.

    GORSA, Jul 18, 2009
  20. Zero Clue

    gms18 Guest

    "steven" wrote:

    > try to use wireless zero configuration instead
    >
    > go to "run".
    > type "services.msc"
    > find wireless zero configuration
    > change the startup type to automatic.
    > click start.
    > click ok and restart.
    > use wireless zero configuration for ease of mind.
    > =)
    >
    > *this configuration applies to windows xp sp 2 n above, to identify go to
    > system information.

    This worked perfectly for me on my daughter's laptop. thanks for the help

    gms18, Jul 20, 2009