    Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM : Failure
    Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter

    Any ideas on how I can fix this please?
    noidea, Oct 2, 2003

  2. noidea

    HamMan Guest

    "noidea" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Howdy,
    >
    > My mom just got a computer from a friend of hers {who got it from another
    > friend who got it from a tag sale] I have no information at all about
    > what OS it is running.
    >
    > Anyways..... when I start the computer I get this message.
    >

    > Verifying DMI Pool Data
    > Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM : Failure
    > Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter
    >

    > Any ideas on how I can fix this please?

    install windows

    or it might not have a hard disk, or is not set to boot from it. go into
    BIOS and change the 'boot sequence' to include the hard disk
    HamMan, Oct 2, 2003

  3. noidea

    noidea Guest

    In article <blhi0a$ruu$>,
    says...

    |install windows
    |
    |or it might not have a hard disk, or is not set to boot from it. go into
    |BIOS and change the 'boot sequence' to include the hard disk

    How do I get to the BIOS to do that please? I tried going to safe mode
    but only one screen comes up.
    noidea, Oct 2, 2003
  4. noidea

    dr_hardwrae Guest

    "noidea" <> wrote in message
    > In article <blhi0a$ruu$>,
    > says...
    >
    > |install windows
    > |
    > |or it might not have a hard disk, or is not set to boot from it. go into
    > |BIOS and change the 'boot sequence' to include the hard disk
    >
    > How do I get to the BIOS to do that please? I tried going to safe mode
    > but only one screen comes up.

    Hold the Delete key down while powering up the computer. There should be a
    BIOS menu and one selection will have "Boot from:"; select HDD0 as first
    boot device, save settings and exit (another menu selection) and that should
    do it.
    dr_hardwrae, Oct 2, 2003
  5. noidea

    dr_hardwrae Guest

    "dr_hardwrae" <> wrote in message

    > "noidea" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <blhi0a$ruu$>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > > |install windows
    > > |
    > > |or it might not have a hard disk, or is not set to boot from it. go

    into
    > > |BIOS and change the 'boot sequence' to include the hard disk
    > >
    > > How do I get to the BIOS to do that please? I tried going to safe mode
    > > but only one screen comes up.

    > Hold the Delete key down while powering up the computer. There should be

    > BIOS menu and one selection will have "Boot from:"; select HDD0 as first
    > boot device, save settings and exit (another menu selection) and that

    should
    > do it.

    There is a BIOS guide here:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=56&var2=0

    Check the Bootstrap Management section, boot sequence for detailed info.

    dr_hardwrae, Oct 2, 2003
  6. noidea

    > "noidea" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <blhi0a$ruu$>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > > |install windows
    > > |
    > > |or it might not have a hard disk, or is not set to boot from it. go

    into
    > > |BIOS and change the 'boot sequence' to include the hard disk
    > >
    > > How do I get to the BIOS to do that please? I tried going to safe mode
    > > but only one screen comes up.

    > Hold the Delete key down while powering up the computer. There should be

    > BIOS menu and one selection will have "Boot from:"; select HDD0 as first
    > boot device, save settings and exit (another menu selection) and that

    should
    > do it.

    Also, make sure there is no disk in the floppy drive.

    dr_hardwrae, Oct 2, 2003
  7. noidea

    noidea Guest

    In article <F7Yeb.4331$>,
    says...

    |Hold the Delete key down while powering up the computer. There should be a
    |BIOS menu and one selection will have "Boot from:"; select HDD0 as first
    |boot device, save settings and exit (another menu selection) and that should
    |do it.

    The BIOS wants me to enter a password. Which of course I don't know. BTW
    there are no disks in the drives.
    noidea, Oct 2, 2003
  8. noidea

    dr_hardwrae Guest

    "noidea" <> wrote in message
    > In article <F7Yeb.4331$>,
    > says...
    >
    > |Hold the Delete key down while powering up the computer. There should be

    > |BIOS menu and one selection will have "Boot from:"; select HDD0 as first
    > |boot device, save settings and exit (another menu selection) and that

    should
    > |do it.
    >
    > The BIOS wants me to enter a password. Which of course I don't know. BTW
    > there are no disks in the drives.

    There is no way around that that I'm aware of. It may be that the
    manufacturer password protected it.
    The problem could also be that the hard drive is damaged, physically or
    software wise. The only way to check and possibly fix would be to boot from
    a system CD and choose repair (if Win XP), or reinstall if Win98/SE/ME.
    Did it come with the software CD?
    dr_hardwrae, Oct 2, 2003
  9. noidea

    noidea Guest

    In article <bpYeb.4334$>,
    says...

    |There is no way around that that I'm aware of. It may be that the
    |manufacturer password protected it.
    |The problem could also be that the hard drive is damaged, physically or
    |software wise. The only way to check and possibly fix would be to boot from
    |a system CD and choose repair (if Win XP), or reinstall if Win98/SE/ME.
    |Did it come with the software CD?

    No disks at all. I'm not sure what OS is on it. My best guess would be
    Windows 98. The name one the computer is a EPro. So you think I should
    just use my copy of Windows98SE and try to install that on the computer?
    noidea, Oct 2, 2003
  10. noidea

    dr_hardwrae Guest

    "noidea" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bpYeb.4334$>,
    > says...
    >
    > |There is no way around that that I'm aware of. It may be that the
    > |manufacturer password protected it.
    > |The problem could also be that the hard drive is damaged, physically or
    > |software wise. The only way to check and possibly fix would be to boot

    from
    > |a system CD and choose repair (if Win XP), or reinstall if Win98/SE/ME.
    > |Did it come with the software CD?
    >
    > No disks at all. I'm not sure what OS is on it. My best guess would be
    > Windows 98. The name one the computer is a EPro. So you think I should
    > just use my copy of Windows98SE and try to install that on the computer?

    Yes; you have nothing to lose at this point.
    dr_hardwrae, Oct 2, 2003
  11. noidea

    Buffalo Guest

    "noidea" <> wrote in message
    > In article <F7Yeb.4331$>,
    > says...
    >
    > |Hold the Delete key down while powering up the computer. There should be

    > |BIOS menu and one selection will have "Boot from:"; select HDD0 as first
    > |boot device, save settings and exit (another menu selection) and that

    should
    > |do it.
    >
    > The BIOS wants me to enter a password. Which of course I don't know. BTW
    > there are no disks in the drives.

    Unplug the computer from the wall and remove the motherboard battery for
    several hours. Then replace it and plug the PC back into the wall outlet.
    This should reset the BIOS to default settings and probably remove the
    'password' requirement in the BIOS.
    Perhaps send Epro an email:
    http://www.eprocomputers.com/sales.html
    Buffalo, Oct 2, 2003
  12. noidea

    Rick Merrill Guest

    noidea wrote:

    > Howdy,
    >
    > My mom just got a computer from a friend of hers {who got it from another
    > friend who got it from a tag sale] I have no information at all about
    > what OS it is running.
    >
    > Anyways..... when I start the computer I get this message.
    >

    > Verifying DMI Pool Data
    > Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM : Failure
    > Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter
    >

    > Any ideas on how I can fix this please?

    Talk to the BIOS. You have passed POST and the
    system is trying to boot from the CD, and not
    finding one, fails.

    Tell the BIOS to boot from <whereever>. - RM
    Rick Merrill, Oct 2, 2003
  13. noidea

    bb3 Guest

    "noidea" <> wrote in message
    > In article <F7Yeb.4331$>,
    > says...
    >
    > |Hold the Delete key down while powering up the computer. There

    should be a
    > |BIOS menu and one selection will have "Boot from:"; select HDD0 as

    first
    > |boot device, save settings and exit (another menu selection) and that

    should
    > |do it.
    >
    > The BIOS wants me to enter a password. Which of course I don't know.

    BTW
    > there are no disks in the drives.

    Here's a list of passwords for different BIOS'.
    http://tinyurl.com/ph0w
    bb3, Oct 2, 2003
  14. noidea

    Plato Guest

    noidea wrote:

    > Anyways..... when I start the computer I get this message.
    >
    > Verifying DMI Pool Data
    > Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM : Failure
    > Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter
    >
    > Any ideas on how I can fix this please?

    Yellow Pages | Computer | Repair And Service

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 3, 2003