    Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Bill
    Bill P, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Bill P

    pengulin Guest

    > Hi
    > A couple of days ago my computer started to freeze during normal boot
    > sequence.
    > It would start in safe mode OK but various scans and windows trouble
    > shooting options didn't find anything wrong.
    > Took it to the computer shop and it booted normally first time.
    > Got it home and plugged everything in and it wouldn't boot.
    > By elimination I found that if I didn't connect the modem it would start
    > OK and if I did connect it it wouldn't start.
    > I uninstalled and reinstalled the modem software but that didn't help.
    > If I plug the modem in when the computer is running it will connect to
    > the net OK.
    > OS win98se
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Regards
    > Bill

    It would be helpful to know what brand and type of modem you have and how
    it's connected to the system, not to mention what type of system you have.
    All of these things are as important to know as the operating system, which
    you have noted.
    pengulin, Jul 26, 2005

  3. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    Modem is a Thompson ADSL speedtouch connected to the computer via USB
    1.1
    System is Packard Bell Pentium 3 667Hz with 30Gb HD

    Bill P, Jul 26, 2005
  4. Bill P

    pengulin Guest

    Good. now that that's established, I don't suspect a resource conflict
    (although not completely out of the realm of possibilities).
    I see you said you tried reloading the drivers, although I'm not sure how
    many of the driver files were actually replaced in this process, if any. I
    could be wrong, but I don't suspect the driver files anyway. What I do
    suspect is corrupted registry entries pertaining to the drivers for this
    device. How long have you been having this problem? It might be possible to
    do a scanreg /restore operation, but only if you can revert to a copy of the
    registry that existed when windows did not have this problem. If you're not
    familiar with scanreg /restore, it's similar to the windows ME and XP system
    restore, however ONLY the registry files are restored -- nothing else.
    Consult the Microsoft Knowledgebase to learn how to perform this operation
    and how to avoid or deal with any complications..
    pengulin, Jul 26, 2005
  5. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    > registry that existed when windows did not have this problem. If
    you're not
    > familiar with scanreg /restore, it's similar to the windows ME and XP

    system
    > restore, however ONLY the registry files are restored -- nothing else.
    > Consult the Microsoft Knowledgebase to learn how to perform this

    operation
    > and how to avoid or deal with any complications..

    The problem started 4 days ago and I immediately used Roxio GoBack to
    revert to the previous day when I knew things were OK. That didn't clear
    the problem.
    Bill P, Jul 26, 2005
  6. Bill P

    pengulin Guest

    well hell, you are on top of things.
    Are other USB devices working?
    Tried Switching Ports?
    Are you using a USB hub? If so, is it powered or bus Powered (passive)?
    Truthfully, I'm running out of ideas, starting to possibly look like the
    hardware itself - maybe just the cable.
    pengulin, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    "pengulin" <> wrote in message
    > well hell, you are on top of things.
    > Are other USB devices working?
    > Tried Switching Ports?
    > Are you using a USB hub? If so, is it powered or bus Powered

    (passive)?
    > Truthfully, I'm running out of ideas, starting to possibly look like

    the
    > hardware itself - maybe just the cable.

    Pengulin
    Thanks for your time.
    I posted the problem to alt.windows98 and Shep solved it.
    Here is his advice for your info:-

    "The modem could still be faulty however as I use a Speedtouch 330 ADSL
    USB modem(They aren't the best but hey it was free).
    Anyway.
    1st things to do.
    Download and install couple of free Reg cleaners,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
    Easy Cleaner and Regseeker are great.

    Unplug the USB connection to the PC for the modem.
    Re-boot to Safemode/Control panel/System/Device Manager and remove any
    and all traces of the modem entries(as that's all they are,not
    drivers).

    Whilst there run the Reg cleaners.
    Then go back to the Device Manager/USB section/Properties and disable
    the,"Error Correction(.It's bogus,does nothing but cause
    problems.Another MS,"Feature"<GRIN> :)

    Shutdown and switch off.Re-insert USB connector from the modem.
    Re-boot.Wait until windows refreshes the driver entries and FFS wait
    until both lights on the modem stop flashing<grin> :D
    Then connect ;-)

    PS
    for the 1st time after this you may have to re-boot one more time :)"
    Bill P, Jul 27, 2005