    My intention is to do a clean reinstall of Windows anyway, but when I set
    the boot order to CDROM or Floppy first, and put an Xp bootable disk in
    either, it doesn't boot from them either, sticking at the same place.

    Saddles, Apr 30, 2005

  2. Saddles

    Parko Guest

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:04:19 -0400, Saddles scratched in the sand:

    > Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42 AMD Duron CPU clock
    > 650MHz,
    > 256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
    >
    > My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
    > everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen
    > in reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about
    > to load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor. My intention
    > is to do a clean reinstall of Windows anyway, but when I set the boot
    > order to CDROM or Floppy first, and put an Xp bootable disk in either, it
    > doesn't boot from them either, sticking at the same place. Could someone
    > point me in the right direction?

    Try clearing the CMOS by prising open the PC's case and removing the
    battery on the Motherboard for apx 30 secs. That might help.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Apr 30, 2005

  3. Saddles

    Ben Myers Guest

    Try making a new boot floppy.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Also, please note that the changes to the CMOS boot sequence
    typically must be saved when exiting to be effective.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Apr 30, 2005
  4. Saddles

    Saddles Guest

    I tried removing the battery. No difference. Does the CMOS get any
    *clearner* if you do it the other way - the jumper way?

    Saddles, Apr 30, 2005
  5. Saddles

    Saddles Guest

    The floppy works fine. And besides, I also use a bootable Windwos Xp
    installation Cd that it wont' boot up from. I saved the boot sequence.
    Thanks so far tho'

    Saddles, Apr 30, 2005
  6. Saddles

    Parko Guest

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:08:50 -0400, Saddles scratched in the sand:

    > I tried removing the battery. No difference. Does the CMOS get any
    > *clearner* if you do it the other way - the jumper way?

    No. But while the case is open you may want to check that all the IDE and
    power cables etc are firmly seated. Check to see if the HD spins up too.

    Parko, Apr 30, 2005
  7. Saddles

    Ben Myers Guest

    If you are confident that your boot floppy and CD are readable, the problem may
    be hardware failure. Remove all expansion cards except the video card,
    then remove and reseat the RAM modules. If you have a known good floppy or
    CD drive, try installing it. You also might try unplugging the hard drive to rule
    out the possibility that the computer is trying to boot from it.

    Ben Myers, Apr 30, 2005
  8. "Saddles" <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote:

    > Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42
    > AMD Duron CPU clock 650MHz,
    > 256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
    >
    > My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
    > everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen
    > in
    > reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about to
    > load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor.

    Standard procedure is to go to bios setup and "load setup defaults" or
    "failsafe".
    Then make sure the floppy or cdrom is listed before the harddrive.
    Does your computer try to access the floppy or cdrom at that time (when bios
    screen vanishes), i.e. do you see the floppy/cd access light come on?

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Apr 30, 2005
  9. Saddles

    Saddles Guest

    I've tried just about everything mentioned so far now - renmoving everything
    except the video card, unhooking the hard drive etc. One thing has happened
    since though, but it may not be as a result of any of these steps (and I
    haven't be able to make it happen again since). After about 25 repeated
    trials the thing suddenly booted up from the CD (gave me the chance to
    choose CD bootup - and I hurriedly pressed enter). This had only occured
    once before just after the problem first developed. It means, then, that it
    may be working once in every 30 or so tries. The hard drive was
    disconnected at the time so I couldn't go on to reinstall anyway. When I
    hurriedly killed the power and reconnected the hard drive, it won't boot
    again. disconnected the hard drive again and it still wont boot beyond post
    screen.

    If the BIOS is responsible for giving me the option to boot from CD (as
    requested by the boot order) wouldn't it be a BIOS problem?

    Saddles, Apr 30, 2005
  10. On 4/30/2005 5:57 PM or thereabouts, Saddles appears, somewhat
    unbelievably, to have opined:

    > I've tried just about everything mentioned so far now - renmoving everything
    > except the video card, unhooking the hard drive etc. One thing has happened
    > since though, but it may not be as a result of any of these steps (and I
    > haven't be able to make it happen again since). After about 25 repeated
    > trials the thing suddenly booted up from the CD (gave me the chance to
    > choose CD bootup - and I hurriedly pressed enter). This had only occured
    > once before just after the problem first developed. It means, then, that it
    > may be working once in every 30 or so tries. The hard drive was
    > disconnected at the time so I couldn't go on to reinstall anyway. When I
    > hurriedly killed the power and reconnected the hard drive, it won't boot
    > again. disconnected the hard drive again and it still wont boot beyond post
    > screen.
    >
    > If the BIOS is responsible for giving me the option to boot from CD (as
    > requested by the boot order) wouldn't it be a BIOS problem?
    >

    > "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Saddles" <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42
    >>>AMD Duron CPU clock 650MHz,
    >>>256 ram, Windows Xp Home,
    >>>
    >>>My computer refuses to boot up fully. I'm getting the post screen,
    >>>everything recognized - hard drive, CD ROM, A drive. In the black screen
    >>>in
    >>>reports everything and starts device listing But just when it is about
    >>>load the operating system it freezes at a blinking cursor.

    >>Standard procedure is to go to bios setup and "load setup defaults" or
    >>"failsafe".
    >>Then make sure the floppy or cdrom is listed before the harddrive.
    >>Does your computer try to access the floppy or cdrom at that time (when
    >>bios
    >>screen vanishes), i.e. do you see the floppy/cd access light come on?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCP VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
    >>detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
    >>to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    >>Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    I just went through a similar problem on one of my machines, and it was
    a bad video card. Could also be a faulty IDE cable.

    --
    I sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
    would make them laugh.

    Dennis Turner, May 1, 2005
  11. Saddles

    Saddles Guest

    Just switched video cards; changed IDE cables No luck. (Pretty sure I
    switched with good parts I had upgraded or accumulated over the years.
    About to give up and fork out the big bucks to carry it in to a comupter
    repair store.

    Saddles, May 1, 2005
  12. "Saddles" <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote:

    > Just switched video cards; changed IDE cables No luck. (Pretty sure I
    > switched with good parts I had upgraded or accumulated over the years.
    > About to give up and fork out the big bucks to carry it in to a comupter
    > repair store.

    You did not tell much about the make/brand/bios version of that box, and in
    particular you didn't answer the question regarding the drive (floppy,cd)
    lights. Also, there are items like "seek floppy drive on startup" which
    means it should then send a seek command prior to the boot attempt, making
    the floppy led light while still in bios.
    A nonresponsive floppy can also be caused by a bad dma controller
    (mainboard) or maybe a conflict. You might waht to toggle the "PnP-OS"
    switch in your bios also.
    Then, try to deliberately "underclock" your cpu/memory a bit.
    Well, probably it's time for a new mobo anyways.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, May 1, 2005
  13. It sounds like your computer is starting in MS-Dos, Which requires C:\ <file
    name> or command to start.

    Jurgen Klingemann, May 1, 2005
  14. Saddles

    Saddles Guest

    About the version etc I did say:

    Mobo: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Version VDA42
    AMD Duron CPU clock 650MHz,
    256 ram, Windows Xp Home,

    at the beginning, but maybve you mean more.Bios Id String?
    06/26/200-VT8363-VT686A-6A6LMF09C-00.

    About the LED's, well just after turning on, the LED's for the floppy and
    both CDroms come on then go off, but none come on when it's time to boot the
    OS from them, just this blinking cursor on the screen.
    Since then I've methodically stripped everything bare, reseated the
    essentials, changed the IDE cables, switched out hard drives floppy drives
    and even used another CDrom drive all to no avail.

    Remember , to sum up -in case something else occurs to anyone - I'm getting
    post, even into the BIOS setup, but no boot from floppy when so set and no
    offer to boot from CDrom when so set. Can't boot from hard drive or ANY
    removeable.disk.

    I'm going to try the last few suggestions (PnP-OS and underclocking) today.
    I want to thank everybody who has offered suggestions. Apprecite it. If
    anything works I'll let y'all know.
    MM

    Saddles, May 1, 2005
  15. Saddles

    Guest

    On Sun, 1 May 2005 08:29:35 -0400, "Saddles"
    <memarksatcoralwavedotcom> wrote:

    |>Remember , to sum up -in case something else occurs to anyone - I'm getting
    |>post, even into the BIOS setup, but no boot from floppy when so set and no
    |>offer to boot from CDrom when so set. Can't boot from hard drive or ANY
    |>removeable.disk.

    Found this looking for something totally different :)
    http://www.directron.com/mot.html

    Says you might try disconnecting your floppy drive (or disable it in
    bios).

    --

    , May 1, 2005