Computer won't boot/start up - Help!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Gondo, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    Bought a project VPR Matrix 226R tower on eBay with no CPU, hard drive,
    memory, video card. Purchased a CPU, video card and memory used on eBay, had
    a used 30GB Maxtor hard drive already and installed all along with an Intel
    CPU heat sink/fan. Replaced the original P4 2.26GHz CPU with a 2.4.

    Was careful when installing the CPU and heat sink/fan, made sure pins were
    aligned on the CPU and the heat sink/fan snapped down solid. I made all
    necessary cable connections as far as I know.

    There's power when I turn it on, all components seem to be getting power,
    heat sink/fan is working, but nothing shows up on the monitor at all.

    So is the CPU bad? Or is the BIOS corrupted/missing? Memory/video card
    problems? I've never seen this before so I'm at a loss. Where should I
    start?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

    -Gondo

    Gondo, Jul 1, 2004

  2. On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:01:31 -0500, "Gondo" <> wrote:

    >Bought a project VPR Matrix 226R tower on eBay with no CPU, hard drive,
    >memory, video card. Purchased a CPU, video card and memory used on eBay, had
    >a used 30GB Maxtor hard drive already and installed all along with an Intel
    >CPU heat sink/fan. Replaced the original P4 2.26GHz CPU with a 2.4.
    >
    >Was careful when installing the CPU and heat sink/fan, made sure pins were
    >aligned on the CPU and the heat sink/fan snapped down solid. I made all
    >necessary cable connections as far as I know.
    >
    >There's power when I turn it on, all components seem to be getting power,
    >heat sink/fan is working, but nothing shows up on the monitor at all.
    >
    >So is the CPU bad? Or is the BIOS corrupted/missing? Memory/video card
    >problems? I've never seen this before so I'm at a loss. Where should I
    >start?
    >
    >Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    >
    >-Gondo

    Any error beeps? Is the internal speaker connected and working? This
    won't be the cause, but could help you dignose if it is working.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Gondo

    bald eagle Guest

    If you don't get anything on the monitor it usually points to a video
    problem.

    bald eagle, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions! No speaker beeps, so will check that first.
    Then will try all the other ideas mentioned. Will report back - hopefully
    with some good news.

    -Gondo

    Gondo, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Gondo

    SilverSurfer Guest

    Could be that your MoBo is being shorted on the case. Try to put the mobo on
    a piece of cardboard and connect only the most essential peripherals. Try
    booting up. If it works, carefully check your case stand-offs. Common
    problem.

    SilverSurfer, A+, Network+, Security+, MCP.

    SilverSurfer, Jul 1, 2004
  6. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    Re: Computer won't boot/start up - Help! - update

    Thanks Surfer, will try that next.

    Can't find a speaker on this thing anywhere, don't even see a power
    connector on the MOBO for it.

    Swapped out video card with known working one, no difference. I don't have
    any other RAM to try, so can't test that. It's 512MB of Kingston ValuRAM,
    PC2100.

    Popped the CMOS battery out for about 5 minutes, reinstalled, no difference.

    I'm starting to narrow it down to the MOBO or the MOBO BIOS chip. Thinking I
    may need to get a replacement BIOS chip with the latest BIOS flashed on it,
    if Surfer's suggestions doesn't help.

    Any more ideas are appreciated, thanks!

    -Gondo

    Gondo, Jul 1, 2004
  7. Gondo

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On 01 Jul 2004 "ImhoTech" blathered:

    > "bald eagle" <> wrote in message
    >> If you don't get anything on the monitor it usually points to a video
    >> problem.
    >>

    > Typical assumption made by non-technician.

    Are you saying that not getting anything on the monitor usually *isn't* a
    video problem?

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 1, 2004
  8. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    Re: Computer won't boot/start up - MOBO speaker

    Just downloaded the tech. spec. .pdf from the Intel web site on the D845EBT
    mobo, and evidently there is a speaker, installed right on the motherboard,
    a little black round thing about a half-inch wide in diameter just to the
    right of the 2 RAID controllers.

    In anyone cares to take a look, it's at
    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845ebt/sb/CS-008791.htm

    Still not a peep from the little thing, though :-(.

    Thanks,
    -Gondo

    Gondo, Jul 1, 2004
  9. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    Final Analysis

    Well, I tried SilverSurfer's suggestion - removed motherboard, put it on
    cardboard next to the case and hooked up just power to the motherboard, CPU
    fan and power switch. Then installed the video card in the AGP slot, plugged
    in the power cord and hit the power button. Same result, nothing.

    I would say I've got a bad motherboard, or at the least, the motherboard
    BIOS is corrupted/missing and I need to get a new BIOS chip flashed with the
    latest BIOS version.

    Any other conclusions are welcome, thanks for all the ideas guys!

    -Gondo

    Gondo, Jul 1, 2004
  10. Gondo

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On 01 Jul 2004 "Linker3000" blathered:

    > TechGeekPro wrote:
    >
    >> Are you saying that not getting anything on the monitor usually *isn't* a
    >> video problem?
    >>

    > [Had to jump in to save you from ImhoTech in a bad mood...]

    Yeah, I could tell.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 1, 2004
  11. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    Hey guys,
    Read my "Final Analysis" below and let me know if you agree with my
    conclusion. As there are so many things that could be wrong causing the
    problem, I'd like to know if I have correctly (or incorrectly) narrowed it
    down. Thanks,

    -Gondo

    Gondo, Jul 1, 2004
  12. Gondo

    Gondo Guest

    Thanks to everyone for all the ideas. I ended up getting another (used)
    motherboard as a result (this one's supposed to work ;-)...

    -Gondo

    Gondo, Jul 2, 2004