    anything loose. Yet, it seems almost as if something isn't making a good
    connection. I know that heat causes things to expand and maybe that is
    why it stays on with no problem once it starts. Any ideas?
    sharonf, Feb 17, 2007

  2. sharonf

    Smoker Guest

    "sharonf" <> wrote in message
    news:45d690c7$0$9297$-secrets.com...
    > My son is having a strange problem with his computer. It won't boot on a
    > cold start. There is nothing on the monitor screen but the computer makes
    > the usual startup noises (no beeps). I thought it might be a video card
    > problem and put in a new video card. It started right up. However after
    > turning the computer off for a few hours it refused to start again. I took
    > out the video card and checked all connections. I also removed the memory
    > modules and reinstalled them. I cleaned all connections inside the
    > computer. Still nothing. I then set the computer upright again and
    > suddenly it started again. It stayed on with no problems. Then after being
    > off overnight it again refused to start. I think it may have something to
    > do with the video connections but I know that the card is good. I have
    > checked all connection and can't find anything loose. Yet, it seems almost
    > as if something isn't making a good connection. I know that heat causes
    > things to expand and maybe that is why it stays on with no problem once it
    > starts. Any ideas?

    ---
    A monitor uses a fair amount of watts, on average 80W for a 17" CRT and 35W
    for a 17" LCD. If your power supply is old and dying it may not be able to
    supply the juice needed to start all your hardware anymore for cold boots.
    (With restarts your hardware is already started so not so much power is
    required.)

    If you have added new hardware since your son has had his machine it all
    adds up and eventually your PSU may not be able to handle it all. I think if
    you had a video problem you should hear 8 beeps depending on your BIOS. I
    really don't know from what you've stated. If you can, try a better power
    supply than what is in there now and see if that makes a difference. If not,
    the problem is obviously elsewhere.
    Smoker, Feb 17, 2007

  3. sharonf

    Kenny Guest

    Smoker, your reply gives the impression that monitor power is take from the
    PC PSU which is wrong, it only receives low level signals from the video
    card. In saying that a dodgy PSU is a likely suspect.
    Have you tried a different monitor?

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Feb 17, 2007
  4. sharonf

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 02:40:57 -0500, Smoker Has Frothed:

    > A monitor uses a fair amount of watts, on average 80W for a 17" CRT and 35W
    > for a 17" LCD. If your power supply is old and dying it may not be able to
    > supply the juice needed to start all your hardware anymore for cold boots.
    > (With restarts your hardware is already started so not so much power is
    > required.)

    Ummm the monitor doesn't use any power from the SMPS.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Feb 17, 2007
  5. sharonf

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:28:52 -0700, sharonf Has Frothed:

    > My son is having a strange problem with his computer. It won't boot on a
    > cold start. There is nothing on the monitor screen but the computer
    > makes the usual startup noises (no beeps). I thought it might be a video
    > card problem and put in a new video card. It started right up. However
    > after turning the computer off for a few hours it refused to start
    > again. I took out the video card and checked all connections. I also
    > removed the memory modules and reinstalled them. I cleaned all
    > connections inside the computer. Still nothing. I then set the computer
    > upright again and suddenly it started again. It stayed on with no
    > problems. Then after being off overnight it again refused to start. I
    > think it may have something to do with the video connections but I know
    > that the card is good. I have checked all connection and can't find
    > anything loose. Yet, it seems almost as if something isn't making a good
    > connection. I know that heat causes things to expand and maybe that is
    > why it stays on with no problem once it starts. Any ideas?

    Sounds like a loose solder joint in either the SMPS or main board.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Feb 17, 2007
  6. sharonf

    Davej Guest

    On Feb 16, 11:28 pm, sharonf <> wrote:
    > My son is having a strange problem with his computer. It won't boot on a
    > cold start. There is nothing on the monitor screen but the computer
    > makes the usual startup noises (no beeps). I thought it might be a video
    > card problem and put in a new video card. It started right up. However
    > after turning the computer off for a few hours it refused to start
    > again. I took out the video card and checked all connections. I also
    > removed the memory modules and reinstalled them. I cleaned all
    > connections inside the computer. Still nothing. I then set the computer
    > upright again and suddenly it started again. It stayed on with no
    > problems. Then after being off overnight it again refused to start. I
    > think it may have something to do with the video connections but I know
    > that the card is good. I have checked all connection and can't find
    > anything loose. Yet, it seems almost as if something isn't making a good
    > connection. I know that heat causes things to expand and maybe that is
    > why it stays on with no problem once it starts. Any ideas?

    I have the same problem on a system I just built. For now I just hit
    the reset button. For me it isn't worth the headache to fix it right
    now since it works fine once it starts. I don't get any beeps. P5B-E
    motherboard.
    Davej, Feb 17, 2007
  7. sharonf

    Davej Guest

    On Feb 17, 1:40 am, "Smoker" <> wrote:

    > A monitor ...

    The monitor could be easily tested on another computer. I think it
    could be 1. mother board or 2. power supply. If it was the memory or
    hard drive wouldn't it beep during POST? What if the video card isn't
    waking up the monitor? What if the video card is overloading the power
    supply? Life is too short.
    Davej, Feb 17, 2007
  8. sharonf

    sharonf Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > Smoker, your reply gives the impression that monitor power is take from the
    > PC PSU which is wrong, it only receives low level signals from the video
    > card. In saying that a dodgy PSU is a likely suspect.
    > Have you tried a different monitor?

    Yes, I tried a different monitor and got the same results.
    sharonf, Feb 17, 2007
  9. sharonf

    Smoker Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Smoker, your reply gives the impression that monitor power is take from
    > the PC PSU which is wrong, it only receives low level signals from the
    > video card.

    ---
    Sorry. What I was thinking and wrote came out wrong. I didn't feel like
    going into a lot of detail about the CPU using maybe 70 watts and the other
    hardware, etc. Just that the PSU would be what I would check first based on
    the info given.
    Smoker, Feb 17, 2007
  10. sharonf

    Guest

    "Davej" <> wrote:

    >On Feb 16, 11:28 pm, sharonf <> wrote:
    >> My son is having a strange problem with his computer. It won't boot on a
    >> cold start. There is nothing on the monitor screen but the computer
    >> makes the usual startup noises (no beeps). I thought it might be a video
    >> card problem and put in a new video card. It started right up. However
    >> after turning the computer off for a few hours it refused to start
    >> again. I took out the video card and checked all connections. I also
    >> removed the memory modules and reinstalled them. I cleaned all
    >> connections inside the computer. Still nothing. I then set the computer
    >> upright again and suddenly it started again. It stayed on with no
    >> problems. Then after being off overnight it again refused to start. I
    >> think it may have something to do with the video connections but I know
    >> that the card is good. I have checked all connection and can't find
    >> anything loose. Yet, it seems almost as if something isn't making a good
    >> connection. I know that heat causes things to expand and maybe that is
    >> why it stays on with no problem once it starts. Any ideas?

    >I have the same problem on a system I just built. For now I just hit
    >the reset button. For me it isn't worth the headache to fix it right
    >now since it works fine once it starts. I don't get any beeps. P5B-E
    >motherboard.

    Yours is a different problem a hard boot (cold) goes thru the entire
    POST test, a reset bypasses a few checks, one is the memory.

    --
    Send Me An Angel
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=QuvlbDRnOcg
  11. sharonf

    Davej Guest

    On Feb 17, 8:21 pm, wrote:
    > "Davej" <> wrote:
    >> sharonf <> wrote:
    >>> My son is having a strange problem with his computer. It won't boot on a
    >>> cold start. There is nothing on the monitor screen but the computer
    >>> makes the usual startup noises (no beeps). I thought it might be a video
    >>> card problem and put in a new video card. It started right up. However
    >>> after turning the computer off for a few hours it refused to start
    >>> again. I took out the video card and checked all connections. I also
    >>> removed the memory modules and reinstalled them. I cleaned all
    >>> connections inside the computer. Still nothing. I then set the computer
    >>> upright again and suddenly it started again. It stayed on with no
    >>> problems. Then after being off overnight it again refused to start. I
    >>> think it may have something to do with the video connections but I know
    >>> that the card is good. I have checked all connection and can't find
    >>> anything loose. Yet, it seems almost as if something isn't making a good
    >>> connection. I know that heat causes things to expand and maybe that is
    >>> why it stays on with no problem once it starts. Any ideas?

    >>I have the same problem on a system I just built. For now I just hit
    > >the reset button. For me it isn't worth the headache to fix it right
    > >now since it works fine once it starts. I don't get any beeps. P5B-E
    > >motherboard.

    > Yours is a different problem a hard boot (cold) goes thru the entire
    > POST test, a reset bypasses a few checks, one is the memory.

    I'm talking about a hardware reset while you are thinking of a
    software restart. However I don't believe the OP includes enough info
    to draw any conclusions. It seems like the same symptom being
    described.
    Davej, Feb 18, 2007