Computer won't BOOT.... help please.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lisa_h_1969@mailbolt.com, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi... One day I started up my computer and it wouldn't boot up
    correctly and I got the following error messages.....

    ERROR LOADING EXPLORER.EXE
    YOU MUST REINSTALL WINDOWS

    then... I got...

    A REQUIRED DLL FILE
    C:\windows\system\SHLWAPl.DLL
    WAS NOT FOUND

    I do not have my original WindowsME installation CD although I do
    have a BOOT DISK.

    I have no problems getting to either my C prompt or my A prompt
    whenever I have the
    BOOT floppy in.

    Any suggestions on how I could go about correcting this because I
    really miss my computer.

    Thanks in advance

    LISA

    DELL DIMENSION 4100
    WindowsME
    , Nov 11, 2005

  2. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi... One day I started up my computer and it wouldn't boot up
    > correctly and I got the following error messages.....
    >
    > ERROR LOADING EXPLORER.EXE
    > YOU MUST REINSTALL WINDOWS
    >
    > then... I got...
    >
    > A REQUIRED DLL FILE
    > C:\windows\system\SHLWAPl.DLL
    > WAS NOT FOUND
    >
    > I do not have my original WindowsME installation CD although I do
    > have a BOOT DISK.
    >
    > I have no problems getting to either my C prompt or my A prompt
    > whenever I have the
    > BOOT floppy in.

    use your bootdisk and boot to dos
    in the windows folder, rename win.com

    then from within windows\options\cabs
    you should be able to run setup and reinstall windows

    note: to perform an "install-over" be sure to reinstall
    windows back in the original windows folder when asked.
    the installer will default to windows.000
    philo, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > ERROR LOADING EXPLORER.EXE
    > YOU MUST REINSTALL WINDOWS
    >
    > I do not have my original WindowsME installation CD although I do
    > have a BOOT DISK.

    One really needs to own the cd for the os you want to continue using.
    Buy one, scan for bad sectors first, then reinstall.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 12, 2005
  4. Ben Myers Guest

    Start the computer with a boot floppy, type

    dir /s c:\base4.cab

    and press "Enter". If the file is found, type the name of the
    directory followed by "setup" and press "Enter". For example,
    if the directory is "c:\windows\options\cabs", type

    c:\windows\options\cabs\setup

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 12, 2005