Computer won't boot after big XP x64 Windows Update!!??

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by jasonbc, Apr 14, 2011.

  1. jasonbc

    jasonbc

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    hi guys - hoping someone here can help. I run XP x64. Dual quad core, 8GB RAM. Been running it without a hitch these last four years. I noticed there were a lot of x64 updates in the Windows Update window this evening, so shut all programs and set the updates running while I went to dinner. Came back and my PC had totally frozen. Nothing moved - not even the mouse cursor. CTRL + ALT + DEL didn't work - it was locked solid.

    So I turned it off and now I get the Windows XP loading screen - then the screen goes completely blank (black) and nothing else happens.

    I tried booting into safe mode - it hangs when it gets to this file:

    \system32\acpitabl.dat

    I also tried unplugging all USB devices. Nothing works. As I say - everything was fine until this big Windows Update.

    Any ides??

    thanks!!

    Jason
    jasonbc, Apr 14, 2011

  2. jasonbc

    Vexidon

    Joined:
    May 9, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I don't really have any ideas on how to fix your problem (other than using your windows disk to repair the damaged files), but I am also running Windows XP x64 on a similar platform and noticed an unusually large Windows Update. My computer started running really slow during the update, so I just referred to google to see if anything was up. I stumbled upon this thread and immediately ended the iexplore process. So far, everything seems to be in working condition, but something fishy is definitely happening. Best of luck with your problem.
    Vexidon, May 9, 2011