    be no power going to the drives, as they do not open when I try to
    open them. Everything spins, though. You can hear the computer hum.
    This is starting to piss me off. Any ideas?

    Daniel Kolle, May 20, 2004

  2. Daniel Kolle

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Daniel Kolle" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My problem is this: the monitor blinks on and off. There also seems to
    > be no power going to the drives, as they do not open when I try to
    > open them. Everything spins, though. You can hear the computer hum.
    > This is starting to piss me off. Any ideas?

    Motherboard, memory, CPU, Video card, any number of things could be causing
    your system to not start.

    The computer can run without some of those things, so I'd try this:

    1) unplug all external connections - USB, printers, power, etc. Open case
    2) clean - get the dust/bugs etc. out
    3) remove all addin cards (audio, video, etc.) if you have any. Put back in
    only the video card
    4) remove all memory SIMMS - put only one back in
    5) disconnect drives and reconnect

    Get the idea? Any connection that could possibly be dirty/loose, needs to be
    cleaned/tightened. Then try to reboot with only the minimum components. (I
    usually leave the drive power leads undone so the system won't try to load
    the OS).

    If it doesn't start with the first memory module in place, swap it for the
    second, third, etc.

    If it still doesn't boot, it will probably need to visit a techie who has
    test equipment and spare parts.

    Toolman Tim, May 21, 2004