    Any suggestions on what this could be?

    Thanks a ton!

    Elader

    Elader, Aug 2, 2006

  2. Elader

    Jeff Prater Guest

    Elader wrote:
    > I am having a problem with my computer when I try to power it on. Pressing
    > the power switch does nothing. I am not sure what the problem could be.
    > When I plug the computer into the wall and turn on the powersupply, the case
    > fan and the CPU fan click on and spin for a split second. The case LEDs
    > also light for a brief second. I can see an LED glowing on the motherboard
    > as well. However, when I press the power switch, there is nothing.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what this could be?
    >
    > Thanks a ton!
    >
    > Elader

    Do you have a spare PSU you can put in the computer? Maybe the PSU is bad.

    Jeff Prater, Aug 2, 2006

  3. Elader

    Au79 Guest

    Elader wrote:

    > I am having a problem with my computer when I try to power it on.
    > Pressing
    > the power switch does nothing. I am not sure what the problem could be.
    > When I plug the computer into the wall and turn on the powersupply, the
    > case
    > fan and the CPU fan click on and spin for a split second. The case LEDs
    > also light for a brief second. I can see an LED glowing on the
    > motherboard
    > as well. However, when I press the power switch, there is nothing.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what this could be?
    >
    > Thanks a ton!
    >
    > Elader

    You don't give sufficient specifics about your computer: How old is it? What
    flavor of Windos is loaded?... etc.

    It does seem to be the power supply.

    http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/

    Au79, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Elader

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:17:24 -0700, Au79 wrote:

    > Elader wrote:
    >
    >> I am having a problem with my computer when I try to power it on.
    >> Pressing
    >> the power switch does nothing. I am not sure what the problem could be.
    >> When I plug the computer into the wall and turn on the powersupply, the
    >> case
    >> fan and the CPU fan click on and spin for a split second. The case LEDs
    >> also light for a brief second. I can see an LED glowing on the
    >> motherboard
    >> as well. However, when I press the power switch, there is nothing.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on what this could be?
    >>
    >> Thanks a ton!
    >>
    >> Elader

    > You don't give sufficient specifics about your computer: How old is it?
    > What flavor of Windos is loaded?... etc.
    >
    > It does seem to be the power supply.

    Or maybe a fresh install of Linux will fix it?

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Elader

    synex Guest

    Au79 <> said in news:HXTzg.11509$d%:

    > Elader wrote:
    >
    >> I am having a problem with my computer when I try to power it on.
    >> Pressing
    >> the power switch does nothing. I am not sure what the problem could
    >> be. When I plug the computer into the wall and turn on the
    >> powersupply, the case
    >> fan and the CPU fan click on and spin for a split second. The case
    >> LEDs also light for a brief second. I can see an LED glowing on the
    >> motherboard
    >> as well. However, when I press the power switch, there is nothing.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on what this could be?
    >>
    >> Thanks a ton!
    >>
    >> Elader

    > You don't give sufficient specifics about your computer: How old is
    > it? What flavor of Windos is loaded?... etc.
    >
    > It does seem to be the power supply.

    You suck donkey, you screaming nancy.

    synex, Aug 2, 2006
  6. Elader

    me Guest

    "synex" <> wrote in message
    > Au79 <> said in news:HXTzg.11509$d%:
    >
    >> Elader wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am having a problem with my computer when I try to power it on.
    >>> Pressing
    >>> the power switch does nothing. I am not sure what the problem could
    >>> be. When I plug the computer into the wall and turn on the
    >>> powersupply, the case
    >>> fan and the CPU fan click on and spin for a split second. The case
    >>> LEDs also light for a brief second. I can see an LED glowing on the
    >>> motherboard
    >>> as well. However, when I press the power switch, there is nothing.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions on what this could be?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a ton!
    >>>
    >>> Elader

    >> You don't give sufficient specifics about your computer: How old is
    >> it? What flavor of Windos is loaded?... etc.
    >>
    >> It does seem to be the power supply.
    >>

    > You suck donkey, you screaming nancy.

    Malcolm,have you got your Sinex

    me, Aug 2, 2006
  7. "Elader" <> wrote in message
    >I am having a problem with my computer when I try to power it on. Pressing
    >the power switch does nothing. I am not sure what the problem could be.
    >When I plug the computer into the wall and turn on the powersupply, the
    >case fan and the CPU fan click on and spin for a split second. The case
    >LEDs also light for a brief second. I can see an LED glowing on the
    >motherboard as well. However, when I press the power switch, there is
    >nothing.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what this could be?
    >
    > Thanks a ton!
    >
    > Elader

    Before you try all the fancy fixes I'm sure people here will suggest, make
    sure to start with the simple stuff-- is the outlet OK, look for defects in
    your wire/plug, etc.

    Doug

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Aug 2, 2006
  8. In article <GHTzg.447$>,
    "Elader" <> wrote:

    > I am having a problem with my computer when I try to power it on. Pressing
    > the power switch does nothing. I am not sure what the problem could be.
    > When I plug the computer into the wall and turn on the powersupply, the case
    > fan and the CPU fan click on and spin for a split second. The case LEDs
    > also light for a brief second. I can see an LED glowing on the motherboard
    > as well. However, when I press the power switch, there is nothing.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what this could be?
    >
    > Thanks a ton!
    >
    > Elader

    Either the power supply is bad, or something is shorting out or not
    powering up properly, causing the power supply to go into protective
    shut down mode. Start with the basics first: Disconnect all
    peripherals, remove all your expansion cards except for video (unless
    video is onboard of course), and pull power from ALL your drives and
    case fans so that the only thing connected to the power supply is your
    motherboard. Then try to power up and see if your motherboard will at
    least POST and display something on the monitor. If it does, then power
    back off and start reconnecting fans, drives, etc., one at a time until
    the problem reappears.

    It is rare, but bad RAM can do this too if something is causing a short,
    as can an improperly seated CPU, incorrect jumper setting, etc.

    Dave

    David Matthew Wood, Aug 3, 2006
  9. Elader

    Margolotta Guest

    On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:25:17 +0100, me wrote
    (in article <yrYzg.20283$_c1.2446@fed1read05>):

    > "synex" <> wrote in message
    >> Au79 <> said in news:HXTzg.11509$d%:

    >>> You don't give sufficient specifics about your computer: How old is
    >>> it? What flavor of Windos is loaded?... etc.
    >>>
    >>> It does seem to be the power supply.
    >>>

    >> You suck donkey, you screaming nancy.

    > Malcolm,have you got your Sinex

    Ye gads! Splodgenessabounds! And here was I thinking I was the only person on
    the planet to remember them!

    Margolotta, Aug 3, 2006
  10. Elader

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Margolotta.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Ye gads! Splodgenessabounds! And here was I thinking I was the only person on
    > the planet to remember them!

    2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps please!

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Aug 3, 2006
  11. Elader

    Margolotta Guest

    On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:55:32 +0100, Ponder wrote
    (in article <19dgtul2vp7do$>):

    > Hiya Margolotta.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> Ye gads! Splodgenessabounds! And here was I thinking I was the only person
    >> on
    >> the planet to remember them!

    > 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps please!

    You know they came second, IIRC, in a recent C4 poll of the 50 greatest
    one-hit-wonders. Can't recall who won - I think it was The Vapors.

    You know, that was actually the 'B' side; the 'A' side was a satirical ditty
    about Simon Templer. Their record company released the wrong side, then
    realised their mistake and released 'Simon Templer'. Needless to say, 'Two
    Pints' had received significant airplay by that time and Simon flopped.

    You know they've actually released six albums to date, Yet 99% of their work
    is, largely, unheeded. Shame really - it might be utterly ridiculous but
    (most of it) is very, very, very good.

    Margolotta, Aug 3, 2006
  12. Elader

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Margolotta.

    In <news:-media.phx> you
    wrote:

    > You know they came second, IIRC, in a recent C4 poll of the 50 greatest
    > one-hit-wonders. Can't recall who won - I think it was The Vapors.

    Turning Japanese?

    > You know, that was actually the 'B' side; the 'A' side was a satirical ditty
    > about Simon Templer. Their record company released the wrong side, then
    > realised their mistake and released 'Simon Templer'. Needless to say, 'Two
    > Pints' had received significant airplay by that time and Simon flopped.

    That's actually an interesting bit of trivia :)

    I remember the song "Toast". It took me ages to find out it was actually
    Paul Young!

    > You know they've actually released six albums to date, Yet 99% of their work
    > is, largely, unheeded. Shame really - it might be utterly ridiculous but
    > (most of it) is very, very, very good.

    The Toy Dolls have been about the same. Lots of albums, huge sales but
    the only song ever to make the charts was Nellie the Elephant in Xmas of
    around 1984.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Aug 3, 2006
  13. Elader

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-03, Ponder <> wrote:
    > Hiya Margolotta.
    >
    > In <news:-media.phx> you
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You know they came second, IIRC, in a recent C4 poll of the 50 greatest
    >> one-hit-wonders. Can't recall who won - I think it was The Vapors.

    > Turning Japanese?
    >
    >> You know, that was actually the 'B' side; the 'A' side was a satirical ditty
    >> about Simon Templer. Their record company released the wrong side, then
    >> realised their mistake and released 'Simon Templer'. Needless to say, 'Two
    >> Pints' had received significant airplay by that time and Simon flopped.

    > That's actually an interesting bit of trivia :)
    >
    > I remember the song "Toast". It took me ages to find out it was actually
    > Paul Young!
    >
    >> You know they've actually released six albums to date, Yet 99% of their work
    >> is, largely, unheeded. Shame really - it might be utterly ridiculous but
    >> (most of it) is very, very, very good.

    > The Toy Dolls have been about the same. Lots of albums, huge sales but
    > the only song ever to make the charts was Nellie the Elephant in Xmas of
    > around 1984.

    I remember that being a hit in the '50s.

    From Wikipedia (and for once, not wrong as far as I know) "The rhythm and
    tempo of this song mean that it is often used to teach people the rhythm
    of CPR. The recommended ratio for CPR was 15 chest compressions to 2
    breaths. With one compression on each measure of the song, gives exactly
    15 by the final Trump."

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 3, 2006
  14. Elader

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Whiskers.

    In <news:eek:> you wrote:

    >> The Toy Dolls have been about the same. Lots of albums, huge sales but
    >> the only song ever to make the charts was Nellie the Elephant in Xmas of
    >> around 1984.

    > I remember that being a hit in the '50s.

    Have you heard any Toy Dolls songs? They're a comedy punk group and need
    to be heard to be believed ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Aug 4, 2006
  15. Elader

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-04, Ponder <> wrote:
    > Hiya Whiskers.
    >
    > In <news:eek:> you wrote:
    >
    >>> The Toy Dolls have been about the same. Lots of albums, huge sales but
    >>> the only song ever to make the charts was Nellie the Elephant in Xmas of
    >>> around 1984.

    >> I remember that being a hit in the '50s.

    > Have you heard any Toy Dolls songs? They're a comedy punk group and need
    > to be heard to be believed ;)

    Never even heard of the group. Perhaps I'll go looking :))

    I used to like the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 4, 2006
  16. Elader

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Elader wrote:

    > I am having a problem with my computer when I try to power it on. Pressing
    > the power switch does nothing. I am not sure what the problem could be.
    > When I plug the computer into the wall and turn on the powersupply, the case
    > fan and the CPU fan click on and spin for a split second. The case LEDs
    > also light for a brief second. I can see an LED glowing on the motherboard
    > as well. However, when I press the power switch, there is nothing.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what this could be?
    >
    > Thanks a ton!
    >
    > Elader

    The fan may be stuck, causing an overload which makes the crowbar in the
    power supply turn off the power. Check the fuze too!

    Rick Merrill, Aug 4, 2006
  17. Elader

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Whiskers.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    >> Have you heard any Toy Dolls songs? They're a comedy punk group and need
    >> to be heard to be believed ;)

    > Never even heard of the group. Perhaps I'll go looking :))

    Good plan that :)

    > I used to like the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

    Even the name sounds good ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Aug 4, 2006