Computer will not boot.....

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Robert Berman, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Computer Repair Experts:

    Here is my system (what I know):

    ABS P4 2.4 Ghz (no hyperthreading or dual core - bought before the new
    naming convention)
    512M Ram
    Asus - P4-533C mother board
    Creative Soundcard
    ATI X800 XT video card (4X AGP)
    On board ethernet

    The computer was working fine, I leave it running 90% of the time. I
    had turned the computer off for a few days when I was on vacation, when
    I returned, I pressed the power on button, the LED came on, I heard the
    hard drive spin up, the hd led illuminated, goes out, and then nothing.
    The display (LED) never gets the video signal. I tried swapping the
    video card and the problem still exists. All the fans are on, the green
    LED on the mother board is lit, and the optical drives seem to be
    working (or at least getting power). When I press the Caps lock or Num
    lock key on the keyboard it does not illuminate the corresponding LED
    (since the computer never really boots up). I replaced the CMOS
    battery. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

    Thank you,

    Robert Berman

    Robert Berman, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Robert  Berman

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>,
    Robert Berman <> writes
    >Computer Repair Experts:
    >
    >Here is my system (what I know):
    >
    >ABS P4 2.4 Ghz (no hyperthreading or dual core - bought before the new
    >naming convention)
    >512M Ram
    >Asus - P4-533C mother board
    >Creative Soundcard
    >ATI X800 XT video card (4X AGP)
    >On board ethernet
    >
    >The computer was working fine, I leave it running 90% of the time. I
    >had turned the computer off for a few days when I was on vacation, when
    >I returned, I pressed the power on button, the LED came on, I heard the
    >hard drive spin up, the hd led illuminated, goes out, and then nothing.
    >The display (LED) never gets the video signal. I tried swapping the
    >video card and the problem still exists. All the fans are on, the green
    >LED on the mother board is lit, and the optical drives seem to be
    >working (or at least getting power). When I press the Caps lock or Num
    >lock key on the keyboard it does not illuminate the corresponding LED
    >(since the computer never really boots up). I replaced the CMOS
    >battery. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thank you,
    >
    >Robert Berman

    Odds on power supply.. Then Motherboard..

    BTW you'll need to set up the BOIS with removing the backup battery!...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jul 13, 2006

  3. Robert  Berman

    Guest

    Robert Berman wrote:
    > Computer Repair Experts:
    >
    > Here is my system (what I know):
    >
    > ABS P4 2.4 Ghz (no hyperthreading or dual core - bought before the new
    > naming convention)
    > 512M Ram
    > Asus - P4-533C mother board
    > Creative Soundcard
    > ATI X800 XT video card (4X AGP)
    > On board ethernet
    >
    > The computer was working fine, I leave it running 90% of the time. I
    > had turned the computer off for a few days when I was on vacation, when
    > I returned, I pressed the power on button, the LED came on, I heard the
    > hard drive spin up, the hd led illuminated, goes out, and then nothing.
    > The display (LED) never gets the video signal. I tried swapping the
    > video card and the problem still exists. All the fans are on, the green
    > LED on the mother board is lit, and the optical drives seem to be
    > working (or at least getting power). When I press the Caps lock or Num
    > lock key on the keyboard it does not illuminate the corresponding LED
    > (since the computer never really boots up). I replaced the CMOS
    > battery. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Robert Berman

    reseat cables, try again
    Remove all cards bar video. try again
    Remove all drives. try again
    Remove video card. try again, listen for the right beeps
    swap ram, try again
    check psu voltages
    if youve got a scope, check psu rails to see if theyre clean

    Failing all else, get another similar mahcine and swap parts 1 by 1
    until the new machine dies. Then you know what part's faulty. And if
    really lucky, you now have 2 knackered machines.

    NT

    , Jul 15, 2006
  4. Robert  Berman

    sandy58 Guest

    wrote:
    > Robert Berman wrote:
    > > Computer Repair Experts:
    > >
    > > Here is my system (what I know):
    > >
    > > ABS P4 2.4 Ghz (no hyperthreading or dual core - bought before the new
    > > naming convention)
    > > 512M Ram
    > > Asus - P4-533C mother board
    > > Creative Soundcard
    > > ATI X800 XT video card (4X AGP)
    > > On board ethernet
    > >
    > > The computer was working fine, I leave it running 90% of the time. I
    > > had turned the computer off for a few days when I was on vacation, when
    > > I returned, I pressed the power on button, the LED came on, I heard the
    > > hard drive spin up, the hd led illuminated, goes out, and then nothing.
    > > The display (LED) never gets the video signal. I tried swapping the
    > > video card and the problem still exists. All the fans are on, the green
    > > LED on the mother board is lit, and the optical drives seem to be
    > > working (or at least getting power). When I press the Caps lock or Num
    > > lock key on the keyboard it does not illuminate the corresponding LED
    > > (since the computer never really boots up). I replaced the CMOS
    > > battery. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Robert Berman
    > >

    > reseat cables, try again
    > Remove all cards bar video. try again
    > Remove all drives. try again
    > Remove video card. try again, listen for the right beeps
    > swap ram, try again
    > check psu voltages
    > if youve got a scope, check psu rails to see if theyre clean
    >
    > Failing all else, get another similar mahcine and swap parts 1 by 1
    > until the new machine dies. Then you know what part's faulty. And if
    > really lucky, you now have 2 knackered machines.
    >

    > NT

    "Then you know what part's faulty. And if
    really lucky, you now have 2 knackered machines." <giggle>

    sandy58, Jul 18, 2006