    else i can do to stop this.

    Can anyone Help?

    "Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk ?"

    Robin Halligan, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Robin Halligan

    Harry Guest

    Robin Halligan wrote:

    > I have a weird problem happining with my Wifes puter
    > Compaq pavillion running windows ME
    >
    > she is playing the game Dungeon Keeper (and some others)
    > and some time during the game the stupid puter suddenly decides that the
    > CD in the drive is nolonger a Game cd but is a music cd and fires up
    > windows media player and trys to play the music (there is none) and then
    > complains that there is none there, interupting the game, clicking close
    > on WMP just results in it fireing up another copy and another, and
    > another, everytime throwing the game to the background and causing my wife
    > to get somewhat grumpy. i have done all the updates i can think of and am
    > not sure what else i can do to stop this.
    >
    > Can anyone Help?

    Go to Control Panel:System:Device Manager:CDROM:properties:Settings and turn off
    Auto Insert Notification.

    Also, check for other control panels, which might have a similar function.

    Harry, Oct 15, 2005

  3. Robin Halligan

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have a weird problem happining with my Wifes puter
    > Compaq pavillion running windows ME
    >
    > she is playing the game Dungeon Keeper (and some others)
    > and some time during the game the stupid puter suddenly decides that the CD
    > in the drive is nolonger a Game cd but is a music cd and fires up windows
    > media player and trys to play the music (there is none) and then complains
    > that there is none there, interupting the game, clicking close on WMP just
    > results in it fireing up another copy and another, and another, everytime
    > throwing the game to the background and causing my wife to get somewhat
    > grumpy. i have done all the updates i can think of and am not sure what
    > else i can do to stop this.
    >
    > Can anyone Help?

    Sorry, this forum is not geared up to help people resolve their domestic
    difficulties. Just because your wife uses a computer to keep you in a
    dungeon isn't our concern.

    Rob J, Oct 15, 2005
  4. Robin Halligan

    Richard Guest

    Robin Halligan wrote:
    > I have a weird problem happining with my Wifes puter
    > Compaq pavillion running windows ME
    >
    > she is playing the game Dungeon Keeper (and some others)
    > and some time during the game the stupid puter suddenly decides that the CD
    > in the drive is nolonger a Game cd but is a music cd and fires up windows
    > media player and trys to play the music (there is none) and then complains
    > that there is none there, interupting the game, clicking close on WMP just
    > results in it fireing up another copy and another, and another, everytime
    > throwing the game to the background and causing my wife to get somewhat
    > grumpy. i have done all the updates i can think of and am not sure what
    > else i can do to stop this.

    Install a virtual cdrom drive program like alcohol 120% or demon tools and then
    use an image of the CD instead?

    Richard, Oct 15, 2005
  5. Robin Halligan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Robin Halligan wrote:
    >> I have a weird problem happining with my Wifes puter
    >> Compaq pavillion running windows ME
    >>
    >> she is playing the game Dungeon Keeper (and some others)
    >> and some time during the game the stupid puter suddenly decides that
    >> the CD in the drive is nolonger a Game cd but is a music cd and
    >> fires up windows media player and trys to play the music (there is
    >> none) and then complains that there is none there, interupting the
    >> game, clicking close on WMP just results in it fireing up another
    >> copy and another, and another, everytime throwing the game to the
    >> background and causing my wife to get somewhat grumpy. i have done
    >> all the updates i can think of and am not sure what else i can do to
    >> stop this.

    > Install a virtual cdrom drive program like alcohol 120% or demon
    > tools and then use an image of the CD instead?

    Good idea. I use images of my game CDs and Daemon Tools for all my games. No
    point suffling CDs and risking losing/scratching them. (Or having the OS
    malfunction).

    That said, I'm not sure it'll fix the problem. Maybe a re-install of ME
    <barf> is in order?

    Dungeon Keeper is such a cool game huh? I played it for years and still fire
    it up now and then. Does your wife have the expansion, Deeper Dungeons? It's
    well worth getting IMO. However, I was very disappointed with DK2, also DK2
    won't run on XP, even though it says on the box and at their website that it
    does. I spent over two months jumping through hoops at the suggestion of
    their helldesk only to have them say to me in their final email (after I
    confronted them with mucho evidence off the net that it simply won't run on
    XP) that if I manage to get it running on XP relaibly they'd appreciate an
    email with details. LOL.

    My suggestion is to scrap ME and avail yourself of a copy of 98SE.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 15, 2005
  6. Robin Halligan

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:39:27 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Richard wrote:
    >> Robin Halligan wrote:
    >>> I have a weird problem happining with my Wifes puter
    >>> Compaq pavillion running windows ME
    >>>
    >>> she is playing the game Dungeon Keeper (and some others)
    >>> and some time during the game the stupid puter suddenly decides that
    >>> the CD in the drive is nolonger a Game cd but is a music cd and
    >>> fires up windows media player and trys to play the music (there is
    >>> none) and then complains that there is none there, interupting the
    >>> game, clicking close on WMP just results in it fireing up another
    >>> copy and another, and another, everytime throwing the game to the
    >>> background and causing my wife to get somewhat grumpy. i have done
    >>> all the updates i can think of and am not sure what else i can do to
    >>> stop this.

    >> Install a virtual cdrom drive program like alcohol 120% or demon
    >> tools and then use an image of the CD instead?

    >Good idea. I use images of my game CDs and Daemon Tools for all my games. No
    >point suffling CDs and risking losing/scratching them. (Or having the OS
    >malfunction).
    >
    >That said, I'm not sure it'll fix the problem. Maybe a re-install of ME
    ><barf> is in order?
    >
    >Dungeon Keeper is such a cool game huh? I played it for years and still fire
    >it up now and then. Does your wife have the expansion, Deeper Dungeons? It's
    >well worth getting IMO. However, I was very disappointed with DK2, also DK2
    >won't run on XP, even though it says on the box and at their website that it
    >does. I spent over two months jumping through hoops at the suggestion of
    >their helldesk only to have them say to me in their final email (after I
    >confronted them with mucho evidence off the net that it simply won't run on
    >XP) that if I manage to get it running on XP relaibly they'd appreciate an
    >email with details. LOL.
    >
    >My suggestion is to scrap ME and avail yourself of a copy of 98SE.

    If you do that then I recommend getting the 'UNOFFICIAL Windows98
    Second Edition Service Pack 2.0.2' from
    http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html . It seems to improve the
    performance of Win98SE.

    GraB, Oct 15, 2005
  7. In message <>, GraB wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:39:27 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>My suggestion is to scrap ME and avail yourself of a copy of 98SE.

    > If you do that then I recommend getting the 'UNOFFICIAL Windows98
    > Second Edition Service Pack 2.0.2' from
    > http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html . It seems to improve the
    > performance of Win98SE.

    That kind of thing plays fast and loose with Microsoft's licence agreements.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 15, 2005
  8. Robin Halligan

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:38:57 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, GraB wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:39:27 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My suggestion is to scrap ME and avail yourself of a copy of 98SE.

    >> If you do that then I recommend getting the 'UNOFFICIAL Windows98
    >> Second Edition Service Pack 2.0.2' from
    >> http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html . It seems to improve the
    >> performance of Win98SE.

    >That kind of thing plays fast and loose with Microsoft's licence agreements.

    And?

    GraB, Oct 15, 2005
  9. In message <>, GraB wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:38:57 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, GraB wrote:

    >>> If you do that then I recommend getting the 'UNOFFICIAL Windows98
    >>> Second Edition Service Pack 2.0.2' from
    >>> http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html . It seems to improve the
    >>> performance of Win98SE.

    >>That kind of thing plays fast and loose with Microsoft's licence
    >>agreements.

    > And?

    And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
    installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
    remove it before they can provide any help.

    And, the Website says there is no reliable way of removing this service
    pack. So once you've put it on, you're stuck.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 15, 2005
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, GraB wrote:
    >>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:38:57 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:
    >>>That kind of thing plays fast and loose with Microsoft's licence
    >>>agreements.

    >>And?

    > And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
    > installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
    > remove it before they can provide any help.
    > And, the Website says there is no reliable way of removing this service
    > pack. So once you've put it on, you're stuck.

    Support ?

    From Microsoft ?

    For Win98SE ?

    You jest Sir.

    That aside, why does 'Unofficial Service Pack' sound so much like 'root kit' to me ...

    Mark Robinson, Oct 16, 2005
  11. In message <2tod.net>, Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, GraB wrote:
    >>>And?

    >> And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
    >> installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
    >> remove it before they can provide any help.
    >> And, the Website says there is no reliable way of removing this service
    >> pack. So once you've put it on, you're stuck.

    > Support ?
    >
    > From Microsoft ?
    >
    > For Win98SE ?
    >
    > You jest Sir.

    I did check my facts before posting
    <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6513> (Wind98),
    <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6898> (Wind98SE).

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2005
  12. Robin Halligan

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, GraB wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:38:57 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>That kind of thing plays fast and loose with Microsoft's licence
    >>>agreements.

    >> And?

    >And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
    >installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
    >remove it before they can provide any help.

    I have never sought help from MS, ever. Support from MS? What?
    It isn't an issue. Besides, how would they react if they find out I
    have installed Win98SE with 98Lite, without IE, OE and MS Virtual
    Machine? (I installed latest available version of IE from magazine
    CD, though I never use it, set to ask permission in the firewall).

    >And, the Website says there is no reliable way of removing this service
    >pack. So once you've put it on, you're stuck.

    Where does it say that? It is just a convenient way to have all the
    patches in one, like Autopatcher for XP. It also includes
    optimisations of some settings that improve performance. It patches
    what needs to be patched and some are optional. I know of no reason
    why you would want to uninstall it anyway.

    GraB, Oct 16, 2005
  13. Robin Halligan

    Enkidu Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >

    >>In message <>, GraB wrote:

    >>>And?

    >>And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
    >>installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
    >>remove it before they can provide any help.

    > I have never sought help from MS, ever. Support from MS? What?
    > It isn't an issue. Besides, how would they react if they find out I
    > have installed Win98SE with 98Lite, without IE, OE and MS Virtual
    > Machine? (I installed latest available version of IE from magazine
    > CD, though I never use it, set to ask permission in the firewall).

    Win98 is not supported anyway, is it?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 16, 2005
  14. In message <>, GraB wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, GraB wrote:

    >>> And?

    >>And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
    >>installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
    >>remove it before they can provide any help.

    > I have never sought help from MS, ever. Support from MS? What?
    > It isn't an issue. Besides, how would they react if they find out I
    > have installed Win98SE with 98Lite, without IE, OE and MS Virtual
    > Machine?

    It's all very well for people who, like you, think they know what they're
    doing. But most ordinary people have this reasonable expectation that they
    can get help from Microsoft if anything goes wrong. But they're not going
    to get that help if they've been stuffing around with their system in
    unauthorized ways, now will they?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2005
  15. In message <4351fc7d$>, Enkidu wrote:

    > GraB wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
    >>>installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
    >>>remove it before they can provide any help.

    >> I have never sought help from MS, ever. Support from MS? What?
    >> It isn't an issue. Besides, how would they react if they find out I
    >> have installed Win98SE with 98Lite, without IE, OE and MS Virtual
    >> Machine? (I installed latest available version of IE from magazine
    >> CD, though I never use it, set to ask permission in the firewall).
    >>

    > Win98 is not supported anyway, is it?

    Let me repost those links you didn't see the previous time round:

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2005
  16. Robin Halligan

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:25:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, GraB wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
    >>>installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
    >>>remove it before they can provide any help.

    >> I have never sought help from MS, ever. Support from MS? What?
    >> It isn't an issue. Besides, how would they react if they find out I
    >> have installed Win98SE with 98Lite, without IE, OE and MS Virtual
    >> Machine?

    >It's all very well for people who, like you, think they know what they're
    >doing.

    LOL I do think I know what I am doing.

    >But most ordinary people have this reasonable expectation that they
    >can get help from Microsoft if anything goes wrong. But they're not going
    >to get that help if they've been stuffing around with their system in
    >unauthorized ways, now will they?

    If they want help with Win98* they would be looking in the wrong
    place. I find trying to find answers to problems is the hardest on
    the MS website which I think is the worst place for finding help that
    I know of. Its hopeless.

    GraB, Oct 16, 2005
  17. Robin Halligan

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>Win98 is not supported anyway, is it?

    > Let me repost those links you didn't see the previous time round:
    > <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6513> (Wind98),
    > <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6898> (Wind98SE).

    In this thread? No, I must have missed it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 16, 2005
  18. In article <>,
    says...

    > Can anyone Help?

    I second ~misfit~'s suggestion: dump Win ME. It is just about the worst
    p.i.t.a. ever to come out of Microsoft. One friend put it on his machine
    against better advice and had nothing but trouble for a year (apart from
    ME munching hdd space like a gremlin), other friends bought a 2nd hand
    HP machine and it gave lots of trouble like you describe ... when ME
    finally shat itself I put 98 SE on their machine and it hasn't crashed
    or misbehaved majorly since (heh). Had a couple of other comps here with
    ME and found it has all the weaknesses of '98, plus a whole lot more,
    and no advantage.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 16, 2005
  19. T'was the Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300 when I remembered Lawrence
    D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    this:

    >And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
    >installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
    >remove it before they can provide any help.

    There's still support for Windows ME?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 17, 2005
  20. On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:25:38 +1300, Rob J wrote:

    > Sorry, this forum is not geared up to help people resolve their domestic
    > difficulties. Just because your wife uses a computer to keep you in a
    > dungeon isn't our concern.

    Well rob this is nz.comp
    it was about a computer andthe computer is in New Zealand :)

    --
    Real programmers don't comment
    It was hard to write it should be hard to understand

    Robin Halligan, Oct 17, 2005