    guess it's true.......they are all alike!

    Thanks in advance. Any help would be great!

    CB ~
    CB, Jul 19, 2007

  2. CB

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "CB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello All
    >
    > Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
    > computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
    > running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
    > just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
    > Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
    > any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
    > likes each other.

    I'll just say this. You start using stuff that is not Vista compliant, then
    you're liable to run into problems. Like today, a poster had installed some
    card with a driver that was not Vista compatible. He started running
    software to do mpg recordings, which was successful on the recording and
    play back. However, when he tried to move/copy the mpg files, Vista started
    having problems and blew out of the move/copy.

    In the meantime, I did some TV recordings in mpg and was able to move/copy
    the files, because everything is Vista compliant. The only problem he was
    having was with mpg files and no other file types, when trying to move/copy
    files.

    > I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
    > sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
    > guess it's true.......they are all alike!

    You start installing things that are not Vista compliant and some of it will
    work, some of it will not work, and something's will cause problems with the
    O/S and non O/S programs.

    You should install Vista compatible software and go to Vista NG(s) to seek
    help.

    msnews.microsoft.com

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905066.aspx
    http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/

    You can also use this solution too, to run solutions on Vista, which is
    free.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx
    Mr. Arnold, Jul 20, 2007

  3. CB

    CB Guest

    I'm thinking It's time to get rid of Vista and just go back to XP. At
    least I know that SOB works.....more than most of the time anyway :)

    NOW, any thoughts on how to do that?

    CB, Jul 20, 2007
  4. CB

    dennis Guest

    "CB" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All
    >
    > Im wondering if someone could give me some direction. I bought a new
    > computer about 2 months ago with "Vista" installed on it. When I'm
    > running something from Youtube or some other form of media, it will
    > just restart itself. It's an HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86 2046MB Ram.
    > Also with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT card installed. I've looked for
    > any flags in the Device manager and everything shows that everything
    > likes each other.
    >
    > I'm just looking for some other places to look for problems. The GD
    > sad thing is that it started happening the first week I get it. I
    > guess it's true.......they are all alike!
    >
    > Thanks in advance. Any help would be great!
    >
    > CB ~

    Did you purchase the system without the video card? If so remove the card
    and try running your media files on just the embedded video. If it still
    fails, call their tech support and start the repair process. Granted the
    thing could be on fire and they will ask you to reload their OS so be sure
    and back up all your files you want to keep prior to calling.

    another thought... what are the power requirements of your video card and
    what is the output of your powersupply? Some manufacturers like to go cheap
    on powersupplies.

    good luck.

    Dennis
    dennis, Jul 20, 2007
  5. CB

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "CB" <> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking It's time to get rid of Vista and just go back to XP. At
    > least I know that SOB works.....more than most of the time anyway :)
    >
    > NOW, any thoughts on how to do that?

    The problem seems to be on your end, by not posting to the right NG(s) to
    get help, along with some other things you're most likely doing.

    I suggest that you post to one of the Vista NG(s) at msnews.microsoft.com.
    Someone will help you, and I got nothing against you, crawl back to XP with
    your tail between your legs.

    I am running a HP dv9000 Entertainment laptop with Vista that I have been
    using since 4/2007, with no problems and it's running like a champ.

    It all depends upon who is sitting behind the keyboard and mouse.
    Mr. Arnold, Jul 20, 2007
  6. CB

    dennis Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "CB" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm thinking It's time to get rid of Vista and just go back to XP. At
    >> least I know that SOB works.....more than most of the time anyway :)
    >>
    >> NOW, any thoughts on how to do that?

    > The problem seems to be on your end, by not posting to the right NG(s) to
    > get help, along with some other things you're most likely doing.
    >
    > I suggest that you post to one of the Vista NG(s) at msnews.microsoft.com.
    > Someone will help you, and I got nothing against you, crawl back to XP
    > with your tail between your legs.
    >
    > I am running a HP dv9000 Entertainment laptop with Vista that I have been
    > using since 4/2007, with no problems and it's running like a champ.
    >
    > It all depends upon who is sitting behind the keyboard and mouse.

    I second that. I recently built new my core 2 duo (2.66mhz w/ 2G pc6400
    ddr2) with the Asus P5W DH Deluxe running vista home premium ... so far
    solid as a rock! This replaces my P4 2.4GHZ w/1GB pc1066 rambus (XP Pro)
    .... my video rendering went from 4-6 hours to less than 1/2 hour for a given
    length of video. Gotta love it!

    When I was running my old system I turned off all unnecessary processes and
    disabled my network adapter while doing videos... the new system I don't
    bother.

    Vista has somewhat of a learning curve with the different format of the
    desktop but once you get past the difference it's great (IMHO of course)

    Dennis
    dennis, Jul 20, 2007
  7. CB

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "dennis" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>
    >> "CB" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm thinking It's time to get rid of Vista and just go back to XP. At
    >>> least I know that SOB works.....more than most of the time anyway :)
    >>>
    >>> NOW, any thoughts on how to do that?

    >> The problem seems to be on your end, by not posting to the right NG(s) to
    >> get help, along with some other things you're most likely doing.
    >>
    >> I suggest that you post to one of the Vista NG(s) at
    >> msnews.microsoft.com. Someone will help you, and I got nothing against
    >> you, crawl back to XP with your tail between your legs.
    >>
    >> I am running a HP dv9000 Entertainment laptop with Vista that I have been
    >> using since 4/2007, with no problems and it's running like a champ.
    >>
    >> It all depends upon who is sitting behind the keyboard and mouse.

    > I second that. I recently built new my core 2 duo (2.66mhz w/ 2G pc6400
    > ddr2) with the Asus P5W DH Deluxe running vista home premium ... so far
    > solid as a rock! This replaces my P4 2.4GHZ w/1GB pc1066 rambus (XP
    > Pro) ... my video rendering went from 4-6 hours to less than 1/2 hour for
    > a given length of video. Gotta love it!
    >
    > When I was running my old system I turned off all unnecessary processes
    > and disabled my network adapter while doing videos... the new system I
    > don't bother.
    >
    > Vista has somewhat of a learning curve with the different format of the
    > desktop but once you get past the difference it's great (IMHO of course)

    Brcause of these two links alone, I'll never use XP again.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0905.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/WFP.mspx

    I view Vista the same way I did Win 2K and XP when the were released. They
    had the same kind of problems and issues. Both O/S became stable, the
    hardware and software vendors eventually caught up with those O/S(s), and I
    don't see this being any different for Vista.
    Mr. Arnold, Jul 20, 2007
  8. CB

    CB Guest

    Well after getting this GD thing back from "Comp-lete Morons USA" I
    had to resinstall everything back in it and it still wants to freeze
    up periodically after they told me that all of the hardware checks out
    and that it has to be a software issue. They say the next step is to
    send it off to HP....Nice.....

    The fact is, as I have seen other posters mention, is that I have
    dreaded this moment. I did the same with XP as well. The dreaded 3
    months of setting this thing up to where it works, for what it is you
    want it to do, and when and HOW you want to do it. It's all a matter
    of getting used to it.

    But the part that gets me is that WHY in the hell should a person have
    to put up with things like it just restarting or freezing up anytime
    it wants when it's "BRAND NEW!" I guess it's just me, the guy behind
    the keyboard and mouse. Well.....maybe this link isn't a joke at
    all... http://www.dysan.net/Weird/show/48.html I really don't look
    forward to the day that I'm driving down the road and the wheels on
    the car just decide to lose a connection to the steering wheel.

    OH, I guess that was my printer the other day and MY COMPUTER! Hmmmm,
    funny though how it found the printer, reinstalled itself and found
    the proper driver and they STILL weren't Communicating?!? What the
    HELL, did they get in a fight in the middle of the night? Not enough
    electron love between the 2 of them I guess...

    Anyway, I'm off to research more info on how to make my brand new
    computer BETTER! Or maybe just find a way to make, my brand NEW
    computer, not freeze up for at least a year. Long live computer geeks
    and the people who put up with computer "NOOBS" like myself.
    Respectfully.....Thank You! I'm sure like everything else in life and
    time, they will make a computer more like a car. And if not, we can
    at least expect them to get better.

    Thanks for all of the posts!!!

    CB ~

    CB, Jul 23, 2007
  9. CB

    - Bobb - Guest

    go to www.nvidia.com to get latest driver for video card.
    There may have been an update to Vista since video driver installed.
    Nvidia is good about having latest/greatest driver online asap.

    - Bobb -, Jul 24, 2007
  10. CB

    w_tom Guest

    On Jul 22, 9:17 pm, CB <> wrote:
    > Well after getting this GD thing back from "Comp-lete Morons USA" I
    > had to resinstall everything back in it and it still wants to freeze
    > up periodically after they told me that all of the hardware checks out
    > and that it has to be a software issue. They say the next step is to
    > send it off to HP....Nice.....

    How was hardware checked out? What did he do to 'confirm' hardware
    is good?

    Some tips. Computer techs can obtain A+ Certification without even
    knowing how electricity works. Intermittents such as yours are often
    due to electricity problems.

    So, did he measure voltages with a 3.5 digit multimeter when all
    peripherals were fully operational? Did he execute comprehensive
    hardware diagnostics first at room temperature and then again with
    computers in a 100 degree F room? Temperature being a diagnostic tool
    that finds intermittent hardware quickly (and that some want to cure
    with more fans). What does the event (system) logs report?

    Don't try to fix anything. You only want to make the problem
    reproducible and maybe identify symptoms of a defective part. Those
    who try to fix things first (rather than first learn what is wrong)
    often keep curing everything but the symptoms or exponentially
    complicate the problem (as if it is not already complex enough).

    Provides are first things that the technician should have
    confirmed. If you don't know how he 'checked out hardware', well, if
    he did not first measure those voltages with a digital meter when
    supply was under maximum load, then he did not check out hardware.
    Diagnostics executed only in an air conditioned room are not properly
    executed diagnostics. All functioning computers must perform every
    diagnostic 'repeatedly OK' at its maximum operating temperature; one
    of the best ways to identify 100% defective hardware.

    Meanwhile, was it Nvidia drivers that had a Vista problem in some
    machines? If yes, then their web site would provide details. Video
    processor is one of few peripherals that can create your problem.
    w_tom, Jul 27, 2007
  11. CB

    - Bobb - Guest

    CB,

    Tell the seller that this is not a pc issue, it's a customer sat issue.

    I looked again, but nowhere in your replies did I read that you
    1. removed the video card, or
    2. have an issue with non-youtube stuff.

    Could you tell us:
    1. Is the issue only with youtube ?
    2. Did you buy the pc from the factory with that video card installed ?
    3. If you remove the video card and use just integrated video, does it
    work ok - or still reboot ?

    Their 'testing' is going to be running a diagnostic and if your issue only
    happens in response to 'some youtube instruction' then have them load that
    same video at the store. Even then if it fails, the pc manuafacturer will
    say " not my problem' and if card is ok in another PC, nvidia would say
    'not my problem'. The SELLER (CompUSA) is the person to ' make it work'
    or issue refund. ( you can understand thaty the local store/tech's job is
    not to be a consultant)
    If built in video OK, then have them refund $$ on the nvidia card.
    If built in video NOT OK, then not video card etc.
    Again, it's the local store manager's problem. Not your's.
    You need to tell him that it is a customer sat issue. Make it HIS problem.
    Ask for district / regional mgr's name. His boss etc.
    But, I would suggest you determine answers to ... is it system/video card
    or driver problem so you can 'agrue a bit' and know the situation.

    Good luck,
    Bobb.

    - Bobb -, Jul 27, 2007
  12. CB

    Paul Guest

    CB wrote:
    > Well after getting this GD thing back from "Comp-lete Morons USA" I
    > had to resinstall everything back in it and it still wants to freeze
    > up periodically after they told me that all of the hardware checks out
    > and that it has to be a software issue. They say the next step is to
    > send it off to HP....Nice.....
    >
    > The fact is, as I have seen other posters mention, is that I have
    > dreaded this moment. I did the same with XP as well. The dreaded 3
    > months of setting this thing up to where it works, for what it is you
    > want it to do, and when and HOW you want to do it. It's all a matter
    > of getting used to it.
    >
    > But the part that gets me is that WHY in the hell should a person have
    > to put up with things like it just restarting or freezing up anytime
    > it wants when it's "BRAND NEW!" I guess it's just me, the guy behind
    > the keyboard and mouse. Well.....maybe this link isn't a joke at
    > all... http://www.dysan.net/Weird/show/48.html I really don't look
    > forward to the day that I'm driving down the road and the wheels on
    > the car just decide to lose a connection to the steering wheel.
    >
    > OH, I guess that was my printer the other day and MY COMPUTER! Hmmmm,
    > funny though how it found the printer, reinstalled itself and found
    > the proper driver and they STILL weren't Communicating?!? What the
    > HELL, did they get in a fight in the middle of the night? Not enough
    > electron love between the 2 of them I guess...
    >
    > Anyway, I'm off to research more info on how to make my brand new
    > computer BETTER! Or maybe just find a way to make, my brand NEW
    > computer, not freeze up for at least a year. Long live computer geeks
    > and the people who put up with computer "NOOBS" like myself.
    > Respectfully.....Thank You! I'm sure like everything else in life and
    > time, they will make a computer more like a car. And if not, we can
    > at least expect them to get better.
    >
    > Thanks for all of the posts!!!
    >
    > CB ~

    There are a couple tests you could try for hardware. I don't know
    whether Vista will be an issue with the use of these or not.

    Orthos (stress prime) runs two copies of Prime95 stability test. The idea
    here is, a calculation with a known answer is being done. If an error
    occurs, either the RAM is bad, the CPU has a stability problem, or the
    Northbridge (which connects RAM to CPU) has an issue. I would not
    accept a pre-built computer, unless this program will run for hours
    without a problem. If the computer shuts off within a minute of using
    this, then something is wrong with the CPU cooling. Or the power supply
    is weak and easily overloaded. (A 7300GT and a Core2 Duo is a light
    load for any PC power supply, so there is no excuse for the power
    supply to "fall over". I would estimate the 7300GT at no more than
    35W and the Core2 Duo TDP is 65W.)

    http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

    There is a picture of the Orthos program window, on the left here:

    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1435/480-2T-Orthos.jpg

    You can also run programs like 3DMark. The 3DMark2001SE program has a
    demo loop you can leave running overnight. The benchmark part of the
    program is also a reasonable stress test. Since you've already tested with
    Orthos, if problems arise at this point, it is the fault of the video card.

    I selected the 2001 version, as it is only a 40MB download. The later
    versions are even more stressful for a modern video card, but they are
    also a larger download.

    I would want any computer I own, to pass these two programs for hours
    on end.

    If you can easily reproduce the problem with your computer, with a
    simple program, that will make it easier for your warranty techs,
    to decide whether to fix it themselves, or send it out. You'd be
    surprised, what tests some of these guys have never heard of.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 28, 2007
  13. CB

    CB Guest

    Sorry I haven't been back for.....weeks! I, quite frankly, just
    pretty much have given up the fight with this thing for a bit and just
    recently started using it again.

    I appreciate all of the advice and I WILL be taking this back to the
    store and asking more questions. I just am not looking forward to
    reinstalling everything once again.

    I did notice the other day while messing around with Microsoft Flight
    Simulator X that my wife had gotten me shortly after we got this "New
    and Improved" computer.... Anyway.... I was just testing the full
    out effects of the game with every graphic slider pushed as far right
    (Very Detailed) just to see how it would react. It did better than
    what I thought and I messed around in some high graphic areas to see
    what kind of frame rates would appear and it did bog down to 5-7 FPS
    in a few areas but for the most part stayed around 18-22. And then,
    while on approach into KPHX (Pheonix) It just froze up and a message
    appeared that said something to the effect of "You're out of
    memory...close the game and then restart the game..." Anyway, I'm not
    sure what that meant FOR SURE but I know it's not a good thing.

    Just knowing that FSX is such a memory hog I'm not surprised but yet I
    am because of the way it presented itself. Just another blow to my
    electronic ego I guess.

    Anyway, this is yet another reason I'm thinking it COULD be the video
    card. Or maybe I've just got too many things runnning in the
    background. I have shutdown all of the services and startup programs
    except for the Microsoft programs. Even though I would bet to think
    that there is STILL plenty running that doesn't need to be.

    And then I wondered if this "Trend Micro" 2007 software is getting in
    the way of something. The ONLY reason I had it installed, besides the
    crappy service available and pop-ups from HELL from these Norton &
    Mcafee companies, is that the Trend Micro product is supposed to be a
    quite, kept to itself program that runs in the background and doesn't
    interfere with the other operating programs.....as much anyway....

    Well, I'm stepping off the box. Thank you for your thoughts. I truly
    appreciate them all and I will continue and try not to hate my
    computer so much with your help. It truly is like the love of an old
    girlfriend....."You hate to love them, and love to hate them!"

    CB ~

    PS. I've tried to answer a few questions below as well!

    CB, Aug 15, 2007
  14. CB

    Paul Guest

    CB wrote:
    > Sorry I haven't been back for.....weeks! I, quite frankly, just
    > pretty much have given up the fight with this thing for a bit and just
    > recently started using it again.
    >
    > I appreciate all of the advice and I WILL be taking this back to the
    > store and asking more questions. I just am not looking forward to
    > reinstalling everything once again.
    >
    > I did notice the other day while messing around with Microsoft Flight
    > Simulator X that my wife had gotten me shortly after we got this "New
    > and Improved" computer.... Anyway.... I was just testing the full
    > out effects of the game with every graphic slider pushed as far right
    > (Very Detailed) just to see how it would react. It did better than
    > what I thought and I messed around in some high graphic areas to see
    > what kind of frame rates would appear and it did bog down to 5-7 FPS
    > in a few areas but for the most part stayed around 18-22. And then,
    > while on approach into KPHX (Pheonix) It just froze up and a message
    > appeared that said something to the effect of "You're out of
    > memory...close the game and then restart the game..." Anyway, I'm not
    > sure what that meant FOR SURE but I know it's not a good thing.
    >
    > Just knowing that FSX is such a memory hog I'm not surprised but yet I
    > am because of the way it presented itself. Just another blow to my
    > electronic ego I guess.
    >
    > Anyway, this is yet another reason I'm thinking it COULD be the video
    > card. Or maybe I've just got too many things runnning in the
    > background. I have shutdown all of the services and startup programs
    > except for the Microsoft programs. Even though I would bet to think
    > that there is STILL plenty running that doesn't need to be.
    >
    > And then I wondered if this "Trend Micro" 2007 software is getting in
    > the way of something. The ONLY reason I had it installed, besides the
    > crappy service available and pop-ups from HELL from these Norton &
    > Mcafee companies, is that the Trend Micro product is supposed to be a
    > quite, kept to itself program that runs in the background and doesn't
    > interfere with the other operating programs.....as much anyway....
    >
    > Well, I'm stepping off the box. Thank you for your thoughts. I truly
    > appreciate them all and I will continue and try not to hate my
    > computer so much with your help. It truly is like the love of an old
    > girlfriend....."You hate to love them, and love to hate them!"
    >
    > CB ~

    <<snip>>

    HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86
    2046MB Ram.
    Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT

    There is a 208MB service pack for FSX. It is supposed to improve framerate.

    FSX SP1 (I don't know if there are any later updates than this one or not)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...42-e3dc-4aa7-85dc-90aae2f0409e&DisplayLang=en

    Don't give up on the box. Eventually you're going to get it tweaked just right :)

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 15, 2007
  15. CB

    Guest

    On Aug 14, 11:05 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > CB wrote:
    > > Sorry I haven't been back for.....weeks! I, quite frankly, just
    > > pretty much have given up the fight with this thing for a bit and just
    > > recently started using it again.

    > > I appreciate all of the advice and I WILL be taking this back to the
    > > store and asking more questions. I just am not looking forward to
    > > reinstalling everything once again.

    > > I did notice the other day while messing around with Microsoft Flight
    > > Simulator X that my wife had gotten me shortly after we got this "New
    > > and Improved"computer.... Anyway.... I was just testing the full
    > > out effects of the game with every graphic slider pushed as far right
    > > (Very Detailed) just to see how it would react. It did better than
    > > what I thought and I messed around in some high graphic areas to see
    > > what kind of frame rates would appear and it did bog down to 5-7 FPS
    > > in a few areas but for the most part stayed around 18-22. And then,
    > > while on approach into KPHX (Pheonix) It just froze up and a message
    > > appeared that said something to the effect of "You're out of
    > > memory...close the game and then restart the game..." Anyway, I'm not
    > > sure what that meant FOR SURE but I know it's not a good thing.

    > > Just knowing that FSX is such a memory hog I'm not surprised but yet I
    > > am because of the way it presented itself. Just another blow to my
    > > electronic ego I guess.

    > > Anyway, this is yet another reason I'm thinking it COULD be the video
    > > card. Or maybe I've just got too many things runnning in the
    > > background. I have shutdown all of the services and startup programs
    > > except for the Microsoft programs. Even though I would bet to think
    > > that there is STILL plenty running that doesn't need to be.

    > > And then I wondered if this "Trend Micro" 2007 software is getting in
    > > the way of something. The ONLY reason I had it installed, besides the
    > > crappy service available and pop-ups from HELL from these Norton &
    > > Mcafee companies, is that the Trend Micro product is supposed to be a
    > > quite, kept to itself program that runs in the background and doesn't
    > > interfere with the other operating programs.....as much anyway....

    > > Well, I'm stepping off the box. Thank you for your thoughts. I truly
    > > appreciate them all and I will continue and try not to hate my
    > >computerso much with your help. It truly is like the love of an old
    > > girlfriend....."You hate to love them, and love to hate them!"

    > > CB ~

    > <<snip>>
    >
    > HP 1740n duo 6300 @ 1.86
    > 2046MB Ram.
    > Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT
    >
    > There is a 208MB service pack for FSX. It is supposed to improve framerate.
    >
    > FSX SP1 (I don't know if there are any later updates than this one or not)http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a0437942-e3d...
    >
    > Don't give up on the box. Eventually you're going to get it tweaked just right :)
    >
    > Paul- Hide quoted text -

    I just rescently logged in to find your posts. I need help with my
    computer and would very much appreciate your feedback. I try to use
    the web via google or any other search engine and instead of going
    into the page I am looking for, it directs me to an advertisement. I
    also keep getting a pop-up called Think-adz that takes anyththing you
    throw at it and turns it into an advertizement. I tried to go in as
    system administrator but I am locked out of that too.
    For starters, do you have any idea how I might re-enter the system
    administrator domain to change my password and delete programs.
    , Aug 20, 2007
  16. CB

    CB Guest

    I guess would start with clearing your cookie, temporary files and
    maybe even the histroy. If that doesn't work I would go online, if
    you can, and download the free version of "Adaware" to clear up any
    junk on you computer. I've had hijackings before and sometimes they
    take a bit to find the source. here is the link......it's a long
    one..

    http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?s...ank.net?p=3&gid=1072645447&oid=&aid=&tid=gus2

    Start with that and good luck

    CB ~