    it,we have tried to load linux,but no virus checker we have seems to work,is
    there a virus checker we can run through linux,that will help.thanks
    mark
    mcmr, Sep 16, 2006

  2. mcmr

    SJP Guest

    "mcmr" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > My daughter has a virus on her computer,when she runs windows,a message
    > comes up that there is a virus on her computer,you have to pay $15 to
    > remove
    > it,we have tried to load linux,but no virus checker we have seems to
    > work,is
    > there a virus checker we can run through linux,that will help.thanks
    > mark

    What version of Windows?
    What antivirus/anti spyware programs she already running o PC
    SJP, Sep 16, 2006

  3. mcmr

    ian field Guest

    "mcmr" <> wrote in message
    > My daughter has a virus on her computer,when she runs windows,a message
    > comes up that there is a virus on her computer,you have to pay $15 to
    > remove
    > it,we have tried to load linux,but no virus checker we have seems to
    > work,is
    > there a virus checker we can run through linux,that will help.thanks
    > mark

    Download AVGfree from grisoft.com - don't know if there is a version for
    Linux, according to Linux fans it don't get vurus's!
    ian field, Sep 16, 2006
  4. mcmr

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > My daughter has a virus on her computer,when she runs windows,a message
    > comes up that there is a virus on her computer,you have to pay $15 to remove
    > it,we have tried to load linux,but no virus checker we have seems to work,is
    > there a virus checker we can run through linux,that will help.thanks
    > mark

    Try one of these in Windows or safe mode:

    Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

    The following links will take you to vendors sites for Spy Ware / Ad
    ware removal tools and also for Antivirus tools. After you install any
    of these applications and update them, run them in SAFE MODE to allow
    them to properly clean your system.

    First, make sure that your Java is updated to the latest version:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

    These sites are for downloading Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware tools, in
    order that I would use them myself:

    Dave Lipman's tools:
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Secured2K's AntiPauper (download link/info at)
    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=65072

    Rogue Fix - This removal tool is the property of Internet Inspiration
    http://www.internetinspiration.co.uk/roguefix.htm

    AdAwareSE can be found here:

    SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

    HiJack can be found here:

    Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
    http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

    CrapCleaner can be found at the vendors site here:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp

    CleanUp can be found at the vendors site here:
    http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/download.html
    or from another reputable source:
    http://www.tucows.com/get/405276_152071

    The following are two links to Antivirus software in order that I would
    use them:

    You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
    from here:
    http://www.symantec.com/downloads/

    Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

    These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
    name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
    get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
    admitted to in this group.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Sep 16, 2006
  5. mcmr wrote:

    > My daughter has a virus on her computer,when she runs windows,a message
    > comes up that there is a virus on her computer,you have to pay $15 to remove
    > it,

    That's not a virus; that's extortion spyware. Have you tried the Windows
    anti-spyware apps? Leythos mentioned all the good ones.

    > we have tried to load linux,but no virus checker we have seems to work,is
    > there a virus checker we can run through linux,that will help.thanks
    > mark

    Assuming you mean you booted from a Linux live-cd, you probably won't be
    able to accomplish much that way as they won't (normally) write to
    Windows disks (assuming XP, since you didn't say).

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 16, 2006
  6. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > mcmr wrote:
    >
    >> My daughter has a virus on her computer,when she runs windows,a message
    >> comes up that there is a virus on her computer,you have to pay $15 to remove
    >> it,

    > That's not a virus; that's extortion spyware. Have you tried the Windows
    > anti-spyware apps? Leythos mentioned all the good ones.

    Hmmmmm. Extortionware, yes. But if it's not calling home with
    information about the user or system or whatever, is it really spyware?
    Just popping up a scare doesn't seem to imply that it is, does it?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2006
  7. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> mcmr wrote:
    >>
    >>> My daughter has a virus on her computer,when she runs windows,a
    >>> message comes up that there is a virus on her computer,you have to
    >>> pay $15 to remove it,

    >> That's not a virus; that's extortion spyware. Have you tried the
    >> Windows anti-spyware apps? Leythos mentioned all the good ones.

    > Hmmmmm. Extortionware, yes. But if it's not calling home with
    > information about the user or system or whatever, is it really
    > spyware? Just popping up a scare doesn't seem to imply that it is,
    > does it?

    Can we unequivocally say it hasn't already phoned home? [I've never been
    infected with one, so...]

    Yes, I was using the term 'spyware' in the general sense, as many other
    do. <g>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 16, 2006
  8. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> That's not a virus; that's extortion spyware. Have you tried the
    >>> Windows anti-spyware apps? Leythos mentioned all the good ones.

    >> Hmmmmm. Extortionware, yes. But if it's not calling home with
    >> information about the user or system or whatever, is it really
    >> spyware? Just popping up a scare doesn't seem to imply that it is,
    >> does it?

    > Can we unequivocally say it hasn't already phoned home? [I've never been
    > infected with one, so...]

    No, but there's no evidence that it has. And it's not like that would
    be a needed part of scareware -- all it has to do is scare.

    > Yes, I was using the term 'spyware' in the general sense, as many other
    > do. <g>

    I think if that's the "general sense", it's also the "dead wrong sense".
    :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2006
  9. mcmr

    Frosty Guest

    As the sun rose on 16 Sep 2006 21:42:41 GMT, the distinguished and oh
    so talented Blinky the Shark <> climbed up to the
    podium, shuffled some papers, took a sip of ice water and shouted in a
    loud voice:

    >--
    >Blinky RLU 297263
    >Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Without actually going all the way to your website can you tell us how
    to filter out Googly group posts here?
    Frosty, Sep 17, 2006
  10. Frosty wrote:
    > As the sun rose on 16 Sep 2006 21:42:41 GMT, the distinguished and oh
    > so talented Blinky the Shark <> climbed up to the
    > podium, shuffled some papers, took a sip of ice water and shouted in a
    > loud voice:
    >
    >>--
    >>Blinky RLU 297263
    >>Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >>The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    > Without actually going all the way to your website can you tell us how

    What -- your mouse is broken?

    > to filter out Googly group posts here?

    I don't know the syntax for the Forte stuff, but if you kill on the
    Message-ID header for the string google, you'll be free of them.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 17, 2006