    doing a clean reinstall at this point.

    Thanks
    , Jul 21, 2007

  2. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have XP (sp2). I recently began having a problem where I get
    > directed to advertising websites instead of the actual url that I
    > click on. I ran AVG and Adaware and both say the computer is clean.
    > I've also tried to do a system restore but after going through the
    > restore process Windows gives a message saying the computer can't be
    > restored to the date I selected . I've tried three different restore
    > point/dates without success.
    >
    > Am I dealing with a a virus or spyware here? I would appreciate any
    > good ideas you can offer for how to fix this. I'm pretty close to
    > doing a clean reinstall at this point.

    Detection requires a layered approach. Besides just an anti-virus
    program and one anti-malware program (Ad-Aware), also try:

    Spybot S&D
    SuperAntispyware
    AVG AntiSpyware (used to be ewido)
    AVG AntiRootkit
    Vanguard, Jul 21, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Jul 21, 11:20 am, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > I have XP (sp2). I recently began having a problem where I get
    > > directed to advertising websites instead of the actual url that I
    > > click on. I ran AVG and Adaware and both say the computer is clean.
    > > I've also tried to do a system restore but after going through the
    > > restore process Windows gives a message saying the computer can't be
    > > restored to the date I selected . I've tried three different restore
    > > point/dates without success.

    > > Am I dealing with a a virus or spyware here? I would appreciate any
    > > good ideas you can offer for how to fix this. I'm pretty close to
    > > doing a clean reinstall at this point.

    > Detection requires a layered approach. Besides just an anti-virus
    > program and one anti-malware program (Ad-Aware), also try:
    >
    > Spybot S&D
    > SuperAntispyware
    > AVG AntiSpyware (used to be ewido)
    > AVG AntiRootkit

    There appears to be quite a few questionable spyware and malware
    program websites out there. I've heard that some of these are just
    spyware themselves. I just looked at the Spybot S&D site and it looks
    very rough and not what one would expect from a legit corporation with
    good web design. Here's the url for spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/
    Can you vouch for this "safe networking" site?
    , Jul 21, 2007
  4. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 21, 11:20 am, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > I have XP (sp2). I recently began having a problem where I get
    >> > directed to advertising websites instead of the actual url that I
    >> > click on. I ran AVG and Adaware and both say the computer is clean.
    >> > I've also tried to do a system restore but after going through the
    >> > restore process Windows gives a message saying the computer can't be
    >> > restored to the date I selected . I've tried three different restore
    >> > point/dates without success.

    >> > Am I dealing with a a virus or spyware here? I would appreciate any
    >> > good ideas you can offer for how to fix this. I'm pretty close to
    >> > doing a clean reinstall at this point.

    >> Detection requires a layered approach. Besides just an anti-virus
    >> program and one anti-malware program (Ad-Aware), also try:
    >>
    >> Spybot S&D
    >> SuperAntispyware
    >> AVG AntiSpyware (used to be ewido)
    >> AVG AntiRootkit

    > There appears to be quite a few questionable spyware and malware
    > program websites out there. I've heard that some of these are just
    > spyware themselves. I just looked at the Spybot S&D site and it looks
    > very rough and not what one would expect from a legit corporation with
    > good web design. Here's the url for spybot
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/
    > Can you vouch for this "safe networking" site?

    It`s Legitimate !.
    I use it, a so do many other people.

    bw..
    meerkat, Jul 21, 2007
  5. wrote:
    > On Jul 21, 11:20 am, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> I have XP (sp2). I recently began having a problem where I get
    >>> directed to advertising websites instead of the actual url that I
    >>> click on. I ran AVG and Adaware and both say the computer is clean.
    >>> I've also tried to do a system restore but after going through the
    >>> restore process Windows gives a message saying the computer can't be
    >>> restored to the date I selected . I've tried three different restore
    >>> point/dates without success.
    >>> Am I dealing with a a virus or spyware here? I would appreciate any
    >>> good ideas you can offer for how to fix this. I'm pretty close to
    >>> doing a clean reinstall at this point.

    >> Detection requires a layered approach. Besides just an anti-virus
    >> program and one anti-malware program (Ad-Aware), also try:
    >>
    >> Spybot S&D
    >> SuperAntispyware
    >> AVG AntiSpyware (used to be ewido)
    >> AVG AntiRootkit

    > There appears to be quite a few questionable spyware and malware
    > program websites out there. I've heard that some of these are just
    > spyware themselves. I just looked at the Spybot S&D site and it looks
    > very rough and not what one would expect from a legit corporation with
    > good web design. Here's the url for spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/
    > Can you vouch for this "safe networking" site?

    It's been a well-respected program and website for a long time. But you
    are correct to be suspicious, there are antispyware programs out there
    that do nothing but part you from your money.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 21, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Jul 21, 11:45 am, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Jul 21, 11:20 am, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> Detection requires a layered approach. Besides just an anti-virus
    > >> program and one anti-malware program (Ad-Aware), also try:

    > >> Spybot S&D
    > >> SuperAntispyware
    > >> AVG AntiSpyware (used to be ewido)
    > >> AVG AntiRootkit

    > > There appears to be quite a few questionable spyware and malware
    > > program websites out there. I've heard that some of these are just
    > > spyware themselves. I just looked at the Spybot S&D site and it looks
    > > very rough and not what one would expect from a legit corporation with
    > > good web design. Here's the url for spybothttp://www.safer-networking.org/
    > > Can you vouch for this "safe networking" site?

    > It's been a well-respected program and website for a long time. But you
    > are correct to be suspicious, there are antispyware programs out there
    > that do nothing but part you from your money.- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks. I downloaded and ran the Spybot S&D program and it did find
    several threats. I deleted them and now I'm not being redirected to
    those annoying advertising websites. That's great! Thanks! I was
    wondering if removing the threats is actually all there is to it or if
    these annoying bugs have a way of replicating.
    , Jul 21, 2007
  7. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 21, 11:20 am, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > I have XP (sp2). I recently began having a problem where I get
    >> > directed to advertising websites instead of the actual url that I
    >> > click on. I ran AVG and Adaware and both say the computer is clean.
    >> > I've also tried to do a system restore but after going through the
    >> > restore process Windows gives a message saying the computer can't
    >> > be
    >> > restored to the date I selected . I've tried three different
    >> > restore
    >> > point/dates without success.

    >> > Am I dealing with a a virus or spyware here? I would appreciate
    >> > any
    >> > good ideas you can offer for how to fix this. I'm pretty close to
    >> > doing a clean reinstall at this point.

    >> Detection requires a layered approach. Besides just an anti-virus
    >> program and one anti-malware program (Ad-Aware), also try:
    >>
    >> Spybot S&D
    >> SuperAntispyware
    >> AVG AntiSpyware (used to be ewido)
    >> AVG AntiRootkit

    > There appears to be quite a few questionable spyware and malware
    > program websites out there. I've heard that some of these are just
    > spyware themselves. I just looked at the Spybot S&D site and it looks
    > very rough and not what one would expect from a legit corporation with
    > good web design. Here's the url for spybot
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/
    > Can you vouch for this "safe networking" site?

    Yep, that's the correct URL. How does glitz and fluff on a web site
    equate to how robust and potent is the software? Lavasoft is a company
    that is making a buck off the plight of users afflicted with malware.
    They have money to blow on web designers and marketing people. Spybot
    S&D is free, so just where do you think their budgeting comes from for
    web design? I wasn't aware that you only wanted commercialware
    solutions. After all, you said that you were using AVG anti-virus and
    it's a good bet that you didn't pay for it (but Grisoft also has
    commercialware so they have monies to blow on glitzy web sites).

    Before downloading any anti-malware product, you might want to visit:

    Vanguard, Jul 21, 2007
  8. Vanguard Guest

    Vanguard, Jul 21, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Jul 21, 12:25 pm, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Jul 21, 11:20 am, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> Detection requires a layered approach. Besides just an anti-virus
    > >> program and one anti-malware program (Ad-Aware), also try:

    > >> Spybot S&D
    > >> SuperAntispyware
    > >> AVG AntiSpyware (used to be ewido)
    > >> AVG AntiRootkit

    > > There appears to be quite a few questionable spyware and malware
    > > program websites out there. I've heard that some of these are just
    > > spyware themselves. I just looked at the Spybot S&D site and it looks
    > > very rough and not what one would expect from a legit corporation with
    > > good web design. Here's the url for spybot
    > >http://www.safer-networking.org/
    > > Can you vouch for this "safe networking" site?

    > Yep, that's the correct URL. How does glitz and fluff on a web site
    > equate to how robust and potent is the software? Lavasoft is a company
    > that is making a buck off the plight of users afflicted with malware.
    > They have money to blow on web designers and marketing people. Spybot
    > S&D is free, so just where do you think their budgeting comes from for
    > web design? I wasn't aware that you only wanted commercialware
    > solutions. After all, you said that you were using AVG anti-virus and
    > it's a good bet that you didn't pay for it (but Grisoft also has
    > commercialware so they have monies to blow on glitzy web sites).
    >
    > Before downloading any anti-malware product, you might want to visit:
    >
    > http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm- Hide quoted text -

    I was concerned about some companies that are jumpimg on the antivirus
    bandwagon who might in fact have less than honest intentions. There
    are hundreds of products out there and it's difficult to verify which
    ones are the most safe and reliable. You are correct though, slcik
    web design is not an indication of a product's effectiveness. AVG came
    with my computer when I purchased it so I'm accustomed to using it. Ad-
    Aware is currently in use in my corporate workplace and was recommded
    to me by the tech people there. Anyway, the spybot s&d seems to have
    gotten good results, so thanks again.
    , Jul 21, 2007
  10. wrote:

    >>> There appears to be quite a few questionable spyware and malware
    >>> program websites out there. I've heard that some of these are just
    >>> spyware themselves. I just looked at the Spybot S&D site and it
    >>> looks very rough and not what one would expect from a legit
    >>> corporation with good web design. Here's the url for
    >>> spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/ Can you vouch for this "safe
    >>> networking" site?

    As the others said, SpybotS&D is a well-respected program. Here is the
    informative list of quite a many that are not:

    > Thanks. I downloaded and ran the Spybot S&D program and it did find
    > several threats. I deleted them and now I'm not being redirected to
    > those annoying advertising websites. That's great! Thanks! I was
    > wondering if removing the threats is actually all there is to it or
    > if these annoying bugs have a way of replicating.

    All there is to it? That totally depends on the threat. It is always
    possible that your 'threat-remover' did not find everything, and it will
    reinstall itself the next time you connect online. Who knows? If you got
    one infection, chances are that you may get another one in the near
    future.

    Practice Safe Hex.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 21, 2007
  11. Mike Easter Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    I'm trying to figure out how 335 did that. There are 4 of hir posts in
    this thread

    .... of which the 3rd of the above is the QP one, while the rest are not.

    All of them were posted to GG. I logged into GG to try to see what I
    could do to make it QP, but I can't figure out how to do it with the GG
    interface.

    My OE6 SP1 w/ OEQF handles that particular version of QP in the GG
    message OK, but typically it does not handle some versions of QP very
    well.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 21, 2007
  12. Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have XP (sp2). I recently began having a problem where I get
    > directed to advertising websites instead of the actual url that I
    > click on. I ran AVG and Adaware and both say the computer is clean.
    > I've also tried to do a system restore but after going through the
    > restore process Windows gives a message saying the computer can't be
    > restored to the date I selected . I've tried three different restore
    > point/dates without success.
    >
    > Am I dealing with a a virus or spyware here? I would appreciate any
    > good ideas you can offer for how to fix this. I'm pretty close to
    > doing a clean reinstall at this point.

    Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
    of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
    or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
    direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
    place to download their application.

    No person of sound mind would download files from a hack site that
    requires a password to access the unknown files when they are available
    directly from the vendors.

    Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

    The following links will take you to vendors sites for Spy Ware / Ad
    ware removal tools and also for Antivirus tools. After you install any
    of these applications and update them, run them in SAFE MODE to allow
    them to properly clean your system.

    First, make sure that your Java is updated to the latest version:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

    These sites are for downloading Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware tools, in
    order that I would use them myself:

    Dave Lipman's tools:
    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
    http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

    AdAwareSE can be found here:
    http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

    SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

    SmitRem.exe by Noahdfear's SmitFraud, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, removal tool
    http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/click counter/click.php?id=1

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
    3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
    not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
    googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.
    Leythos, Jul 21, 2007
  13. Guest

    wrote:

    >I was concerned about some companies that are jumpimg on the antivirus
    >bandwagon who might in fact have less than honest intentions. There
    >are hundreds of products out there and it's difficult to verify which
    >ones are the most safe and reliable.

    One of SpyBots features is a thing called TeaTimer.

    Be sure to have that running at all times, it will warn you if
    anything is attempting to access the registry (to run on startup)

    -TeaTimer is buggy as you can't read the yes, no question.
    If this is a problem then use Regprot
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/freeutilities/regprot.php
    --

    http://www.freewayblogger.com/images_3/ndied.jpg
    , Jul 21, 2007
  14. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I have XP (sp2). I recently began having a problem where I get
    > directed to advertising websites instead of the actual url that I
    > click on. I ran AVG and Adaware and both say the computer is clean.

    Try some additional anti-virus and anti-spyware applications.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
    Plato, Jul 22, 2007
  15. Vanguard Guest

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >>
    >> <> wrote ...

    Maybe Google is playing around again with changing their headers and
    format.

    > My OE6 SP1 w/ OEQF handles that particular version of QP in the GG
    > message OK, but typically it does not handle some versions of QP very
    > well.

    I can't use QE-QuoteFix anymore. It stopped functioning after applying
    Service Pack 2 to Windows XP. A link at their site explains why
    (something to do with a different rending control being used after
    applying SP-2). They also mention a workaround but, as I recall, you
    had to uncheck the option to "always read messages in plain-text" and
    I'm not going to do that.
    Vanguard, Jul 22, 2007