    Lloyd Jones Guest

    You should have at least 256 Mb RAM for XP.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Lloyd Jones

    Wiz Guest

    You need 4 times that amount of RAM!

    Wiz, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Don't be so fucking stupid.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Lloyd Jones

    HonestJohn Guest

    "Mary Lake" <> wrote in message
    > I have got windows xp on my computer it has slowed down a lot

    what can I do
    > to make it go faster I have got 128 mb of ram thank you

    Like previous versions of Windows a large number of programs and
    utilities
    are loaded during boot up, not all of them are necessary and they
    can gobble
    up memory and resources. One quick and easy way to find out what
    they are is
    to go to Run on the Start menu and type 'services.msc'. This will
    bring up a
    list of all of the programs that can run or are presently running
    in the
    background. To find out what each one does simply right click on
    it and this
    will display a dialogue box with a description and a 'Start Type'
    drop-down
    menu with Automatic, Manual or Disable options.
    HonestJohn, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Lloyd Jones

    Captain Ron Guest

    Nice attitude.... Do you kiss your mother what that mouth?

    Captain Ron, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Lloyd Jones

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Wiz <> wrote in news:40C5C064.EC3D0807
    @easypost.com:

    > You need 4 times that amount of RAM!

    XP does not need 512 megs of RAM to run acceptably. Maybe if you load the
    machine up with shit and do a poor job building it and use crappy parts you
    can compensate with a lot of RAM, but normally 256 is enough. Even for
    playing most computer games.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    > normally 256 is enough. Even for
    > playing most computer games.

    I agree. 256MB for XP is like 128MB for Win98. Enough to run well for most
    average users. 512 I would recommend for more serious gamers and those into
    photo processing and such.
    Thor, Jun 8, 2004
  8. Lloyd Jones

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > I agree. 256MB for XP is like 128MB for Win98. Enough to run well for
    > most average users. 512 I would recommend for more serious gamers and
    > those into photo processing and such.

    Definitely. I have though played under Windows XP with 256 megs games such
    as:
    Unreal Tournament 2003
    Enemy Territory
    Final Fantasy XI

    No problems. Slightly longer load times, but no noticable performance
    problems.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 8, 2004
  9. Lloyd Jones

    Bax Guest

    Although your computer is running slow, your clock seems to be fast. You
    seem to be posting in the future.

    Bax, Jun 8, 2004
  10. Lloyd Jones

    The Prophecy Guest

    HonestJohn wrote:
    > "Mary Lake" <> wrote in message
    >> I have got windows xp on my computer it has slowed down a lot what
    >> can I do to make it go faster I have got 128 mb of ram thank you
    >>

    > Like previous versions of Windows a large number of programs and
    > utilities
    > are loaded during boot up, not all of them are necessary and they
    > can gobble
    > up memory and resources. One quick and easy way to find out what
    > they are is
    > to go to Run on the Start menu and type 'services.msc'. This will
    > bring up a
    > list of all of the programs that can run or are presently running
    > in the
    > background. To find out what each one does simply right click on
    > it and this
    > will display a dialogue box with a description and a 'Start Type'
    > drop-down
    > menu with Automatic, Manual or Disable options.

    Don't just go in and start shutting down or disabling services. A great way
    to speed up your system would be to first of all, perform some basic system
    maintenance:

    "°Mike°'s" Basic computer maintenance

    Second, check out Black Viper's Windows XP Super Tweaks page. Take a close
    look at Number 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12.

    Balck Viper's Windows XP Super Tweaks
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

    While you are there also see Black Viper's Windows XP Service
    Configurations:

    Black Viper's Windows XP Service Configurations

    After doing all this, see if your system is any faster and reply to let us
    know about it.
    The Prophecy, Jun 8, 2004
  11. Lloyd Jones

    nunu Guest

    did you use the computer to surf the Net and download games and alike? in
    addition to more memories you might need anti spyware. believe me there are
    vampires in your system without seeing it.

    i had an insidence where a VGA driver i used, installed an application to
    search for update on its own. one of the tricks is to go to task manager and
    see what application is running. i found the sucker there and deleted it.
    problem solved

    nunu, Jun 8, 2004
  12. Lloyd Jones

    Mary Lake Guest

    Mary Lake, Jun 9, 2004
  13. Lloyd Jones

    The Prophecy Guest

    You're welcome.

    The Prophecy, Jun 9, 2004
  14. Lloyd Jones

    Captain Ron Guest

    No thanks to the simple minded looser Lloyd Jones.

    Captain Ron, Jun 9, 2004
  15. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Captain ron, your either very young or just a genuine wako.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 9, 2004
  16. Lloyd Jones

    Mary Lake Guest