Computer USB Bandwith Problem.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Croft, Sep 24, 2007.

  1. Croft

    Croft Guest

    A friend has just built me a new computer. Purchased items below.

    AMD CPU AM2 Athlon 64 Dual Core 2800

    Asus M2N-E SLI Motherboard

    Corsair 2048MB Twin X XMS2 6400

    DDR2 Memory Kit (2 x 1024MB)

    Sapphire Radeon X1650 PRO 512 MB

    DDR2, PC-E ,Dual DVI, VIVO,

    I am on a 4 MB cable broadband connection.

    He is normally very good on this task but has no experience with
    Video cameras, Skype, Etc.

    The new computer works fine but when I contact friends on Skype the
    Video fails. The video works on Skype on test when I am not in contact with anyone.
    I have posted the 2 messages on my site at
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2062320060028520097BNqRam
    & also at the previous post.
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2552794550028520097BKKFZf
    When I contact a couple of friends using oovoo the camera works ok.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause?
    --
    Dave Croft
    Warrington
    Croft, Sep 24, 2007

  2. Croft

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:23:26 +0100, Croft wrote:

    > A friend has just built me a new computer. Purchased items below.
    >
    > AMD CPU AM2 Athlon 64 Dual Core 2800
    >
    > Asus M2N-E SLI Motherboard
    >
    > Corsair 2048MB Twin X XMS2 6400
    >
    > DDR2 Memory Kit (2 x 1024MB)
    >
    > Sapphire Radeon X1650 PRO 512 MB
    >
    > DDR2, PC-E ,Dual DVI, VIVO,
    >

    > I am on a 4 MB cable broadband connection.
    >
    > He is normally very good on this task but has no experience with Video
    > cameras, Skype, Etc.
    >
    > The new computer works fine but when I contact friends on Skype the
    > Video fails. The video works on Skype on test when I am not in contact
    > with anyone. I have posted the 2 messages on my site at
    > http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2062320060028520097BNqRam &
    > also at the previous post.
    > http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2552794550028520097BKKFZf When
    > I contact a couple of friends using oovoo the camera works ok. Does
    > anyone have any ideas as to the cause?

    By way of a non-sequitur - I'm working on a pub refurb in Grappenhall at
    the moment.

    Sorry I can't help.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :)
    Aardvark, Sep 24, 2007

  3. Croft

    old man Guest

    Are you connecting the USB devices via a hub?
    Your modem is a usb device?
    If it is, and assuming it has an ethernet connection, connect via ethernet
    If it doesnt have an ethernet output consider a new modem that has this.

    old man, Sep 25, 2007
  4. Croft

    Croft Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message news:tTXJi.38637$...
    > Are you connecting the USB devices via a hub?
    > Your modem is a usb device?
    > If it is, and assuming it has an ethernet connection, connect via ethernet
    > If it doesnt have an ethernet output consider a new modem that has this.

    No I am using a 4MB Virgin (was NTL) cable connection.
    I was in Mapins yesterday & notice a PCI USB 2.0 4 Port Card had been reduced from
    £30 to £15 so in desperation I bought & fitted it.
    This works fine so I will keep it.
    But I still don't know what the origional problem is!
    Croft, Sep 25, 2007
  5. Croft

    Croft Guest

    Croft, Sep 25, 2007
  6. Croft

    old man Guest

    It was your USB that was the problem

    The Virgin/ntl modem has an ethernet connection.
    Its often better, less problems, to use the ethernet connection as apposed
    to the usb

    old man, Sep 25, 2007