Computer-TV via VCR

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ekm, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. ekm

    ekm Guest

    Hi there,

    just a basic question from a newbie... much thanks for any help!

    I'm trying to hook my computer up to my TV. The TV isn't that old,
    but it's a mono tv and I already have a bunch of stuff connected to
    it.

    My cable box is hooked up to the one coaxial port on the mono TV.
    Then I have my stereo VCR connected to the cable box (with stereo/RCA
    cables). Additionally, I have my dvd player connected to the VCR on
    one of its extra inputs.
    So I was trying to connect my computer with the remaining extra input
    on the front of the VCR, using the same type of standard stereo audio
    cables and an RCA cable, same as for the dvd player. Anyway, nothing
    came up on the TV screen... I could hear the audio, but there was no
    picture.

    Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just not
    going to work no matter what. Should the TV be able to read the
    signal from the computer, or is it too complicated coming through the
    VCR like this? I didn't change any settings on my computer, I just
    plugged the RCA cable into the yellow "Cable Out" port on the back of
    my tower and connected it to the VCR. The VCR was set to the right
    input, and I think my comp was on 800 x 600 visual settings.

    If anyone has any suggestions for a clueless person who would like to
    watch stuff on a bigger screen, I thank you!

    em

    ekm, Sep 23, 2004

  2. ekm

    Jerry G. Guest

    I am assuming you have a proper TV out from your computer's display
    card, or an optional card for this type of application. In your software
    for the card, you normally would have to toggle this card to be turned
    on to output to external video.

    Check in the help files, or any of the instructions that came with your
    card to do this.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Sep 24, 2004

  3. ekm

    Thor Guest

    "ekm" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > just a basic question from a newbie... much thanks for any help!
    >
    > I'm trying to hook my computer up to my TV. The TV isn't that old,
    > but it's a mono tv and I already have a bunch of stuff connected to
    > it.
    >
    > My cable box is hooked up to the one coaxial port on the mono TV.
    > Then I have my stereo VCR connected to the cable box (with stereo/RCA
    > cables). Additionally, I have my dvd player connected to the VCR on
    > one of its extra inputs.
    > So I was trying to connect my computer with the remaining extra input
    > on the front of the VCR, using the same type of standard stereo audio
    > cables and an RCA cable, same as for the dvd player. Anyway, nothing
    > came up on the TV screen... I could hear the audio, but there was no
    > picture.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just not
    > going to work no matter what. Should the TV be able to read the
    > signal from the computer, or is it too complicated coming through the
    > VCR like this? I didn't change any settings on my computer, I just
    > plugged the RCA cable into the yellow "Cable Out" port on the back of
    > my tower and connected it to the VCR. The VCR was set to the right
    > input, and I think my comp was on 800 x 600 visual settings.

    Check your display properties. There is typically an option for TV-out that
    needs to be enabled once you have connected the cables. Also, make sure the
    correct broadcast standard is being used for your region. For example, the
    USA uses NTSC-M. Many cards support multiple standards, and need to be set
    accordingly. It will also often help to set the refresh rate to 60Hz, unless
    the driver software is capable of automatically outputting the correct
    refresh rates for the TV signal.

    Thor, Sep 24, 2004
  4. ekm

    ekm Guest

    thanks very much, I'm about to give it another try!!

    ekm, Sep 28, 2004