    down
    automatically. Could I have damaged the power supply or motherboard?
    Please e-mail me at stpatryck "at" gmail.com

    stpatryck, Apr 30, 2007

  2. stpatryck

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc stpatryck <> wrote:
    > Hello People,
    > My Windows XP computer mysteriously turns on by itself after I shut
    > it
    > down. Sometimes this happens after a few seconds or sometimes after
    > few minutes.
    > I've read other postings on this topic and some say that it might be
    > the wake on LAN or wake on ring feature in the BIOS. My computer is
    > not connected to a LAN, and I've disconnected the modem but it still
    > turns on.
    > I have an Abit NI8-SLI motherboard with a Pentium D 805 processor and
    > an Antec 520W power supply. It is a homebuilt system.
    > Could it be that the power supply is faulty?

    Yes. Antec is one of these companies with shiny products,
    good marketing and bad quality.

    > A few days ago, i
    > noticed that one of the loose power connectors arced against the
    > chassis while it was powered on (I had the case open) and it shut
    > down
    > automatically. Could I have damaged the power supply or motherboard?

    Should not, but knowing Antec, it might very well have.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 1, 2007

  3. stpatryck wrote:
    > Hello People,
    > My Windows XP computer mysteriously turns on by itself after I shut
    > it
    > down. Sometimes this happens after a few seconds or sometimes after
    > few minutes.
    > I've read other postings on this topic and some say that it might be
    > the wake on LAN or wake on ring feature in the BIOS. My computer is
    > not connected to a LAN, and I've disconnected the modem but it still
    > turns on.
    > I have an Abit NI8-SLI motherboard with a Pentium D 805 processor and
    > an Antec 520W power supply. It is a homebuilt system.
    > Could it be that the power supply is faulty? A few days ago, i
    > noticed that one of the loose power connectors arced against the
    > chassis while it was powered on (I had the case open) and it shut
    > down
    > automatically. Could I have damaged the power supply or motherboard?
    > Please e-mail me at stpatryck "at" gmail.com

    I had a standoff for the motherboard that was in the wrong place, shorting
    something out and causing the comp to turn itself on and off randomly.
    --
    Phil

    Phil, Non-Squid, May 1, 2007
  4. stpatryck

    Coco Guest

    "Arno Wagner" <> wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc stpatryck <> wrote:
    >> Hello People,
    >> My Windows XP computer mysteriously turns on by itself after I shut
    >> it
    >> down. Sometimes this happens after a few seconds or sometimes after
    >> few minutes.
    >> I've read other postings on this topic and some say that it might be
    >> the wake on LAN or wake on ring feature in the BIOS. My computer is
    >> not connected to a LAN, and I've disconnected the modem but it still
    >> turns on.
    >> I have an Abit NI8-SLI motherboard with a Pentium D 805 processor and
    >> an Antec 520W power supply. It is a homebuilt system.
    >> Could it be that the power supply is faulty?

    > Yes. Antec is one of these companies with shiny products,
    > good marketing and bad quality.
    >
    >> A few days ago, i
    >> noticed that one of the loose power connectors arced against the
    >> chassis while it was powered on (I had the case open) and it shut
    >> down
    >> automatically. Could I have damaged the power supply or motherboard?

    > Should not, but knowing Antec, it might very well have.
    >
    > Arno

    Check your BIOS for "wake-on-lan". If it's enabled, disable it.

    Coco, May 1, 2007
  5. stpatryck

    CJT Guest

    Gay computer?

    CJT, May 2, 2007
  6. stpatryck

    fondue Guest

    "CJT" <> wrote in message
    > Gay computer?

    Why Gay? Auto-erotic maybe.

    fondue, May 2, 2007
  7. stpatryck

    PeterC Guest

    On Wed, 2 May 2007 16:51:06 +0800, fondue wrote:

    > "CJT" <> wrote in message
    >> Gay computer?
    >>

    > Why Gay? Auto-erotic maybe.

    Self-exiting - that's DC!
    --
    Peter.
    If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.

    PeterC, May 3, 2007
  8. stpatryck

    JAD Guest

    sililating a brown out and the 'power on after power outage is enabled...........

    JAD, May 6, 2007
  9. stpatryck

    JAD Guest

    simulating*

    JAD, May 6, 2007
  10. stpatryck

    Gary Avrett Guest

    Go into the bios and make sure you do not have it set to wake up on Lan or
    other stuff.

    Gary Avrett, May 28, 2007
  11. stpatryck

    ProfGene Guest

    stpatryck wrote:
    > Hello People,
    > My Windows XP computer mysteriously turns on by itself after I shut
    > it
    > down. Sometimes this happens after a few seconds or sometimes after
    > few minutes.
    > I've read other postings on this topic and some say that it might be
    > the wake on LAN or wake on ring feature in the BIOS. My computer is
    > not connected to a LAN, and I've disconnected the modem but it still
    > turns on.
    > I have an Abit NI8-SLI motherboard with a Pentium D 805 processor and
    > an Antec 520W power supply. It is a homebuilt system.
    > Could it be that the power supply is faulty? A few days ago, i
    > noticed that one of the loose power connectors arced against the
    > chassis while it was powered on (I had the case open) and it shut
    > down
    > automatically. Could I have damaged the power supply or motherboard?
    > Please e-mail me at stpatryck "at" gmail.com

    Try switching off the power strip and see if it can turn that back on.

    ProfGene, Jul 10, 2007