    swabs, etc., but not many tools.

    Thanks,
    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Adam Leinss

    JohnO Guest

    > What kind of tool kits are people using to fix PCs? I'm looking for a
    > computer toolkit that includes a mini-vacumm, swabs and a mini-duster,
    > plus all the cool toys (screw drivers, wire strippers,etc). I can find
    > one or the other, but not both in one kit. For example: there's the
    > Curtis 145 piece toolkit, but from what I can tell no swabs or duster.
    > There's the Belkin 65 piece kit which includes the duster, cable ties,
    > swabs, etc., but not many tools.

    IME, the kits never have great tools, and they don't have the tools that
    match up to your specific skills.

    So, make your own. Buy good tools when you find them, and build the kit as
    you go.

    -John O
    JohnO, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Adam Leinss

    JohnO, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Adam Leinss

    JohnO, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Adam Leinss

    Linker3000 Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    >>What kind of tool kits are people using to fix PCs? I'm looking for a
    >>computer toolkit that includes a mini-vacumm, swabs and a mini-duster,
    >>plus all the cool toys (screw drivers, wire strippers,etc). I can find
    >>one or the other, but not both in one kit. For example: there's the
    >>Curtis 145 piece toolkit, but from what I can tell no swabs or duster.
    >>There's the Belkin 65 piece kit which includes the duster, cable ties,
    >>swabs, etc., but not many tools.

    > IME, the kits never have great tools, and they don't have the tools that
    > match up to your specific skills.
    >
    > So, make your own. Buy good tools when you find them, and build the kit as
    > you go.
    >
    > -John O

    Agreed - and never go for a kit that includes DIP IC removal and
    inserter tools!

    I do not carry out a significant amount of 'field service' (been there,
    done that) as my main role is now overall IT site management (for about
    25 sites - I lose count!!) and the main hardware is covered by a
    maintenance contract, but I still have a need to do 'admin' type stuff
    such as: add and remove CD/DVD/disk drives, RAM, expansion cards etc.
    and sometimes while I am on site I get the usual 'while you are here...'
    stuff. Anything 'heavier' and I will call in the service company or take
    the kit back to the office where I have a small range of diagnostic kit
    but thesedays its generally quicker to test by substitution and I cannot
    remember the last time I attacked a system board or monitor with a
    soldering iron.

    My main field kit is the size of a thick A5-size book and comprises:

    A screwdriver handle that can take separate bits
    A selection of flat blade, cross blade, nut spinner and torx bits for above
    A separate T-6 Torx screwdriver for mobile phones/PDAs/Laptops etc
    A security bit set for those manufacturers who don't want you to take
    things apart!
    An electronic mains tester screwdriver (not a neon one)
    Electrical tweezers
    Screw grabber ('pearl catcher')
    Scalpel and blade
    Natural bristle brush
    Antistatic wrist strap
    Tube for screws (yes, I really DO have one of those) with some spares in
    it + some circuit board jumpers from old hard disks and system boards
    A small pair of side cutters - mainly for cutting ty-wraps around power
    cable bundles for when you need to free a power connector for a new hard
    disk or other drive
    A selection of mains fuses (UK 1" plugtop and 20mm types)
    A couple of paper clips
    A couple of spare blanking plates (they seem to multiply like tribbles!)
    Fine tip black permanent marker pen
    A couple of empty antistatic bags

    Bumping around in a case in the car is a soldering iron, multimeter and
    network media (cable) tester but these are rarely used (but damn handy
    to have around when you *do* need them!)

    L3K
    Linker3000, Aug 17, 2005
  6. Adam Leinss

    Guest

    "tube for Screws"

    Funny, all mine are loose in the bottom of my bag.

    Funnier, I can usually find the one I need too.
    , Aug 17, 2005
  7. Adam Leinss

    JohnO Guest

    > "tube for Screws"
    >
    > Funny, all mine are loose in the bottom of my bag.
    >
    > Funnier, I can usually find the one I need too.

    ....wave the magnetized screwdriver around down there, and they practically
    jump out of the bag, hoping to be used.

    -John O
    JohnO, Aug 17, 2005
  8. Adam Leinss

    Adam Leinss Guest

    wrote in news:4302a7a3.31544136
    @news.east.earthlink.net:

    > Build your own tool kit. And skip the tools found in the dollar
    > store. Good tools will serve you well almost forever.
    >
    > As to what to put your tools in, I've not yet found much that works
    > really well. I generally stay with the bags.
    >
    > Thomas Goodwin
    > Central Florida

    Thanks for the suggestions guys!

    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Aug 18, 2005
  9. On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 05:25:58 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm in the Orlando area.

    > I used to work in Orlando. I was a broadcast engineer for WACX TV in
    >the late '80s, and I worked for Sonnetec Systems for a while in the
    >'90s. I used to make a lot of trips from northern Lake County to the
    >Computer Warehouse and a couple other wholesale places for computer
    >parts. I can't make the long drive anymore, because of severe Carpal
    >Tunnel problems. I have a number of friends in your area that I've lost
    >contact with after their ISP went belly up.

    You have RSI also? I have for over 10 years. It's manageable now, but,
    coupled with fine motor control difficulties and joint pain, even
    dining can be an adventure. :)

    I can just imagine doing in-circuit hot oscilloscope checks
    now...Yikes!

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 18, 2005
  10. On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:00:00 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    <> wrote:

    >Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    >>
    >> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 05:25:58 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    >> <> wrote:

    >> > I used to work in Orlando. I was a broadcast engineer for WACX TV in
    >> >the late '80s, and I worked for Sonnetec Systems for a while in the
    >> >'90s. I used to make a lot of trips from northern Lake County to the
    >> >Computer Warehouse and a couple other wholesale places for computer
    >> >parts. I can't make the long drive anymore, because of severe Carpal
    >> >Tunnel problems. I have a number of friends in your area that I've lost
    >> >contact with after their ISP went belly up.

    >> You have RSI also? I have for over 10 years. It's manageable now, but,
    >> coupled with fine motor control difficulties and joint pain, even
    >> dining can be an adventure. :)
    >>
    >> I can just imagine doing in-circuit hot oscilloscope checks
    >> now...Yikes!
    >>
    >> Tom

    > I also have nerve damage in two fingers of my left hand and left arm,
    >so repairing computers has become a hobby to replace building and
    >testing 16 layer PC boards. I was able to do my own SMD rework under a
    >stereo microscope, but no more.
    >
    > The VA has pretty well stopped doing the surgery locally, and the
    >only thing they can do for the nerve damage is cut that nerve bundle in
    >my upper arm and leave the whole outside part of my arm numb at all
    >times, so I told them "No thank you!"

    You're the same guy who posts in the electronics groups, right?

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 19, 2005
  11. On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:38:20 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    <> wrote:

    >Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    >>
    >> You're the same guy who posts in the electronics groups, right?
    >>
    >> Tom

    > Guilty as charged! ;-) I was checking out this newsgroup because I
    >have some kids at my church who want to learn to repair computers, and I
    >would like to help them get their certification so they can look for a
    >job right after they graduate. If I had a little more money, I would
    >open a shop again, to put them to work.

    Good gang here...I've been hanging around for 6 years or more.

    No doubt you'll get some basic electronics into their blood also?

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 19, 2005
  12. Re: Computer Toolkit...possibly getting to be peripherally OT

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:19:38 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    <> wrote:

    >Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    >>
    >> Good gang here...I've been hanging around for 6 years or more.
    >>
    >> No doubt you'll get some basic electronics into their blood also?
    >>
    >> Tom

    > Of course! A good tech understands the basics. I also plan to teach
    >them how to deal with the public

    A very important aspect of this business.

    Years back, I was in a job competition to be a video lottery terminal
    technician. I was screened in on the basis of my resume/application,
    and was scheduled to be tested at a later date. Test day...here were
    about 20 of us in the room, wondering what the test was all about. The
    test administrators (if the test was fixed, would they be test
    administraitors? hahaha) came in, and told us that we had already been
    assessed as to our technical background, and the test we were to take
    was all about...customer service. A McGraw-Hill standardized test, as
    a matter of fact.

    I bought a book at a second-hand book store years ago...I think it was
    entitled "The Zen of Computer Repair". It was also mainly about
    customer service.

    Maybe CompTIA should create a Customer Service+ certification...

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 20, 2005
  13. Adam Leinss

    JohnO Guest

    Re: Computer Toolkit...possibly getting to be peripherally OT

    > Maybe CompTIA should create a Customer Service+ certification...

    It used to be 10% of one of the exams, then it was scored separately and not
    counted towards pass/fail, and eventually removed. The problem was the way
    questions were asked; the correct anser was always arguable. The correct CS
    solution depends upon a lot of factors, and CompTIA and its SMEs couldn't
    agree on how to handle this.

    -John O
    JohnO, Aug 21, 2005
  14. Re: Computer Toolkit...possibly getting to be peripherally OT

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:04:25 GMT, "JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com>
    wrote:

    >> Maybe CompTIA should create a Customer Service+ certification...
    >>

    >It used to be 10% of one of the exams, then it was scored separately and not
    >counted towards pass/fail, and eventually removed. The problem was the way
    >questions were asked; the correct anser was always arguable. The correct CS
    >solution depends upon a lot of factors, and CompTIA and its SMEs couldn't
    >agree on how to handle this.
    >
    >-John O

    Just like a lot of interview questions...a real-life scenario can't be
    wrong, but a hypothetical one often finds the interviewers looking for
    pat answers.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 21, 2005
  15. Adam Leinss