    Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
    Thanks and bye friends.
    Sal_55, Mar 19, 2008

  2. Sal_55 wrote:
    > I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    > it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    > to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    > same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    > programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    > currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    > I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    > the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    > have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    > about 3 processes at the same time.
    > Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    > Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
    > Thanks and bye friends.

    I would recommend that you increase the amount of RAM to at least 1GB,
    if you can afford it. This should make a very noticeable difference in
    performance. Ask the retailer/person that you bought the computer from
    to help you get the proper type of memory. The good news is that RAM has
    become inexpensive and is easy to install.

    --
    Brian Arthur Robertson

    http://brian.arthur.robertson.googlepages.com/freesoftware

    http://brian.arthur.robertson.googlepages.com/rare-ware
    Brian Arthur Robertson, Mar 19, 2008

  3. Sal_55

    Guest

    What OS are you using?
    , Mar 19, 2008
  4. Sal_55

    Onsokumaru Guest

    "Sal_55" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    > it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    > to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    > same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    > programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    > currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    > I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    > the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    > have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    > about 3 processes at the same time.
    > Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    > Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?

    hmmm, running one more program to increase performance...

    As others have said, up the RAM to 1 GB.

    How much disk space do you have, and how fragmented is the HDD.

    You could try reducing the size of the recycle bin also, but this is just
    adjusting the wing mirrors, it won't make a huge difference.

    What other programs load at startup? You might try disabling teatimer, as it
    uses a fair chunk of memory.
    Onsokumaru, Mar 19, 2008
  5. Sal_55

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Bob Adkins
    <> scribeth thus
    >On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Sal_55
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    >>it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    >>to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    >>same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    >>programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    >>currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    >>I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    >>the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    >>have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    >>about 3 processes at the same time.
    >>Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    >>Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
    >>Thanks and bye friends.

    >128mb of RAM is most likely the problem. Win98 and Millennium do well
    >on 256mb or more, and XP on 512mb or better. No amount of RAM will
    >make Vista run fast. Yes, I have seen Dell computers sold with 128mb
    >RAM and Win XP. To run Spybot tolerably fast, you need a 7200 RPM HDD,
    >512mb of RAM, and a 2ghz CPU. Otherwise, schedule it when you are
    >away.
    > -
    >
    >Bob

    Up the RAM ... best mod you can do to almost any computer except those
    infected with Vister;(...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Mar 19, 2008
  6. Sal_55

    Bob Adkins Guest

    Bob Adkins, Mar 19, 2008
  7. On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Sal_55
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    >it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    >to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    >same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    >programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    >currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    >I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    >the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    >have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    >about 3 processes at the same time.
    >Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    >Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
    >Thanks and bye friends.

    Regardless of what you do, nothing is going to speed up your computer
    with only 128 RAM; the processor is probably fast enough, as long as
    you don't expect too much. RAM is pretty cheap these days.
    E. Barry Bruyea, Mar 19, 2008
  8. Sal_55

    Jim Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    >it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    >to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    >same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    >programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    >currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    >I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    >the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    >have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    >about 3 processes at the same time.
    >Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    >Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?

    You don't say what operating system you are using. If it's XP
    or Vista, then I'm afraid your computer will run slow as it
    really hasn't enough hard disc space and nearly enough RAM for
    the task.

    --

    Jim,
    English Region,
    Jim, Mar 19, 2008
  9. Sal_55

    Sal_55 Guest

    On 19 Mar, 11:58, "" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 7:17 am, Sal_55 <> wrote:
    >
    > What OS are you using?

    Windows XP. In my old computer I had Windows Me. And I can't believe
    it, but XP has fewer crashes and runs generally better than ME.
    Sal_55, Mar 19, 2008
  10. Sal_55

    Sal_55 Guest

    On 19 Mar, 13:37, Jim <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Sal_55
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    > >it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    > >to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    > >same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    > >programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    > >currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    > >I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    > >the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    > >have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    > >about 3 processes at the same time.
    > >Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    > >Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?

    >   You don't say what operating system you are using. If it's XP
    > or Vista, then I'm afraid your computer will run slow as it
    > really hasn't enough hard disc space and nearly enough RAM for
    > the task.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jim,
    > English Region,
    > E.U.

    Thanks so much for all the advice given to me so far.
    I have just broken my left foot and don't think now is the best time
    to be fiddling around with my screwdriver in order to add more RAM. Is
    there no way I can increase the RAM some other way? I don't really
    know what I'm speaking about, but can't you increase the 'virtual
    memory' of the computer to increase the RAM?
    If I decide it's too much hassle to increase the RAM on my current
    machine and I buy a new computer, then is there anyway of transferring
    all my files to my new computer? I remember in the old days there was
    some kind of parallel cable you could attach betwen computers to
    transfer all the files.
    Thanks again and bye friends.
    Sal_55, Mar 19, 2008
  11. Sal_55

    § Guest

    Sal_55 wrote:
    > On 19 Mar, 13:37, Jim <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Sal_55
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    >>> it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    >>> to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    >>> same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    >>> programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    >>> currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    >>> I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    >>> the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    >>> have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    >>> about 3 processes at the same time.
    >>> Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    >>> Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?

    >> You don't say what operating system you are using. If it's XP
    >> or Vista, then I'm afraid your computer will run slow as it
    >> really hasn't enough hard disc space and nearly enough RAM for
    >> the task.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Jim,
    >> English Region,
    >> E.U.

    > Thanks so much for all the advice given to me so far.
    > I have just broken my left foot and don't think now is the best time
    > to be fiddling around with my screwdriver in order to add more RAM. Is
    > there no way I can increase the RAM some other way? I don't really
    > know what I'm speaking about, but can't you increase the 'virtual
    > memory' of the computer to increase the RAM?
    > If I decide it's too much hassle to increase the RAM on my current
    > machine and I buy a new computer, then is there anyway of transferring
    > all my files to my new computer? I remember in the old days there was
    > some kind of parallel cable you could attach betwen computers to
    > transfer all the files.
    > Thanks again and bye friends.

    Up the memory to a gig you will be styling. Simple, easy and cheap.
    Just like my ex :)
    §, Mar 19, 2008
  12. Pump the RAM to a gig or two, this will improve things.

    The 20G hard drive tends to indicate an older motherboard with a processor
    that just is not up to the tasks you are assigning it. But, 128M of RAM is
    your first problem.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 19, 2008
  13. "Sal_55" <> wrote in message
    > On 19 Mar, 11:58, "" <> wrote:
    >> On Mar 19, 7:17 am, Sal_55 <> wrote:
    >>
    >> What OS are you using?

    > Windows XP. In my old computer I had Windows Me. And I can't believe
    > it, but XP has fewer crashes and runs generally better than ME.

    XP is waaaay better than ME. Way ...

    You should _expect_ XP to have fewer crashes.

    You need more RAM. 128m is the minimum RAM for XP, 256 is better, 512 is
    better still, but a gig is where I think you should be. Frankly, a gig is
    where anybody should be despite the low numbers that Bill & Co. suggest.

    I bought a gig a week ago for $80. I think you can get an even better price
    if you shop better than I do.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 19, 2008
  14. "Sal_55" <> wrote in message
    On 19 Mar, 13:37, Jim <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Sal_55
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    > >it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    > >to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    > >same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    > >programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    > >currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    > >I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    > >the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    > >have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    > >about 3 processes at the same time.
    > >Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    > >Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?

    > You don't say what operating system you are using. If it's XP
    > or Vista, then I'm afraid your computer will run slow as it
    > really hasn't enough hard disc space and nearly enough RAM for
    > the task.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jim,
    > English Region,
    > E.U.

    Thanks so much for all the advice given to me so far.
    I have just broken my left foot and don't think now is the best time
    to be fiddling around with my screwdriver in order to add more RAM. Is
    there no way I can increase the RAM some other way? I don't really
    know what I'm speaking about, but can't you increase the 'virtual
    memory' of the computer to increase the RAM?
    If I decide it's too much hassle to increase the RAM on my current
    machine and I buy a new computer, then is there anyway of transferring
    all my files to my new computer? I remember in the old days there was
    some kind of parallel cable you could attach betwen computers to
    transfer all the files.
    Thanks again and bye friends.

    <JS>
    Dude! You have broken your foot and can't get out of the house for any
    meaningful purpose except to take a deliberately slow trip to Fry's for a
    new memory card. There is no better time to work on the computer because you
    aren't going anywhere anyhow.

    Turn the machine off and open the case. The RAM is secured by a pair of
    small clips. Pop the old stick out and put the new stick in.

    The only thing easier that a RAM upgrade is getting another beer from the
    'fridge. Well, taking a pee might be easier for most of us, but in your
    condition hobbling over the pot on one foot presents a challenge that I
    wanted ot avoid.

    </js>
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 19, 2008
  15. Sal_55

    Franklin Guest

    On Wed 19 Mar 2008 14:00:35, Sal_55 <> wrote:

    > Thanks so much for all the advice given to me so far.
    > I have just broken my left foot and don't think now is the best time
    > to be fiddling around with my screwdriver in order to add more RAM. Is
    > there no way I can increase the RAM some other way? I don't really
    > know what I'm speaking about, but can't you increase the 'virtual
    > memory' of the computer to increase the RAM?
    > If I decide it's too much hassle to increase the RAM on my current
    > machine and I buy a new computer, then is there anyway of transferring
    > all my files to my new computer? I remember in the old days there was
    > some kind of parallel cable you could attach betwen computers to
    > transfer all the files.
    > Thanks again and bye friends.

    Am I the only person who is starting to find one or two parts of this
    thread to be just that tiny little bit too strange to be 100% plausible.
    Franklin, Mar 19, 2008
  16. Sal_55

    Paul Guest

    Sal_55 wrote:
    > On 19 Mar, 13:37, Jim <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Sal_55
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    >>> it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    >>> to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    >>> same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    >>> programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    >>> currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    >>> I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    >>> the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    >>> have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    >>> about 3 processes at the same time.
    >>> Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    >>> Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?

    >> You don't say what operating system you are using. If it's XP
    >> or Vista, then I'm afraid your computer will run slow as it
    >> really hasn't enough hard disc space and nearly enough RAM for
    >> the task.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Jim,
    >> English Region,
    >> E.U.

    > Thanks so much for all the advice given to me so far.
    > I have just broken my left foot and don't think now is the best time
    > to be fiddling around with my screwdriver in order to add more RAM. Is
    > there no way I can increase the RAM some other way? I don't really
    > know what I'm speaking about, but can't you increase the 'virtual
    > memory' of the computer to increase the RAM?
    > If I decide it's too much hassle to increase the RAM on my current
    > machine and I buy a new computer, then is there anyway of transferring
    > all my files to my new computer? I remember in the old days there was
    > some kind of parallel cable you could attach betwen computers to
    > transfer all the files.
    > Thanks again and bye friends.

    You can get RAM delivered to your door (assuming you're close enough
    to civilization, to have a courier deliver to you). You could
    go to the Crucial.com website, use their search engine, and it will
    tell you what RAM options are available to you.

    To check what is inside the machine, you can run CPUZ. (Download is
    in the upper left corner. Unzip it and double click cpuz.exe .)

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

    CPUZ has an "SPD" tab. There is a menu item "Memory Slot Selection",
    and you can go through the slots one at a time, to see what is installed.
    For example, if the computer has three memory slots, you'd expect to see
    "Slot #1", "Slot #2", and "Slot #3". Based on the displayed info for each
    slot, you'll be able to figure out what memory is currently installed.
    (Like 1 x 128MB or 2 x 64MB.)

    The machine may have a limit for the largest memory stick that can be
    put in any slot. But the Crucial site should hint at that, when you select
    your computer in their search engine.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Mar 19, 2008
  17. Sal_55

    Baron Guest

    Sal_55 wrote:

    > On 19 Mar, 13:37, Jim <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Sal_55
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    >> >it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too
    >> >long to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs
    >> >at the same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run
    >> >many programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better
    >> >machine, but currently due to disablity this is the only computer I
    >> >can afford. I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also
    >> >I have turned the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%.
    >> >Doing all this I have noticed some improvement. But the computer
    >> >still lags when I run about 3 processes at the same time.
    >> >Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual
    >> >memory? Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?

    >> You don't say what operating system you are using. If it's XP
    >> or Vista, then I'm afraid your computer will run slow as it
    >> really hasn't enough hard disc space and nearly enough RAM for
    >> the task.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Jim,
    >> English Region,
    >> E.U.

    > Thanks so much for all the advice given to me so far.
    > I have just broken my left foot and don't think now is the best time
    > to be fiddling around with my screwdriver in order to add more RAM. Is
    > there no way I can increase the RAM some other way? I don't really
    > know what I'm speaking about, but can't you increase the 'virtual
    > memory' of the computer to increase the RAM?
    > If I decide it's too much hassle to increase the RAM on my current
    > machine and I buy a new computer, then is there anyway of transferring
    > all my files to my new computer? I remember in the old days there was
    > some kind of parallel cable you could attach betwen computers to
    > transfer all the files.
    > Thanks again and bye friends.

    Don't you have a good local dealer who could sort all that out for you ?

    As far as transfering your data, you should be backing up anything that
    you wouldn't want to loose. No point in backing up programs because
    you can always re-install them from your original CD's !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Mar 19, 2008
  18. Sal_55

    Alan Illeman Guest

    "Sal_55" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    > it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    > to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    > same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    > programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    > currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    > I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    > the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    > have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    > about 3 processes at the same time.
    > Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    > Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
    > Thanks and bye friends.

    I'm running an older Dell at 696 MHz & 512 MB ram and speed is not an issue
    with Win2k Pro. Which programs do you want to run at the same time?
    Alan Illeman, Mar 19, 2008
  19. Sal_55

    Johnw Guest

    Sal_55 has brought this to us :
    > I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
    > it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
    > to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
    > same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
    > programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
    > currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
    > I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
    > the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
    > have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
    > about 3 processes at the same time.
    > Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
    > Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
    > Thanks and bye friends.

    This is a good read.

    XP Myths - Myths Regarding Windows XP
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html
    Johnw, Mar 19, 2008
  20. Brian Arthur Robertson wrote:

    > I would recommend that you increase the amount of RAM to at least 1GB,
    > if you can afford it. This should make a very noticeable difference in
    > performance. Ask the retailer/person that you bought the computer from
    > to help you get the proper type of memory. The good news is that RAM has
    > become inexpensive and is easy to install.

    Well, not always. For example, ram for "Coppermine" boards is expensive,
    just as I predicted years ago when Intel made circuitry that required
    specially-tweaked sims for it.

    Richard
    Richard Steinfeld, Mar 20, 2008