    understand it a bit, but overtime Windows has made me
    lazy. TIA
    Bertie
    Bertie Doe, Dec 1, 2010

  2. Bertie Doe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:24:16 +0000, Bertie Doe wrote:

    > Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting seriously
    > slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up (if that's
    > the correct description). To end task, Widows Task Manager, sometimes
    > takes a couple of minutes to load!!
    >
    > I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the above
    > files are contained in Folders? How will I recognise the wheat from the
    > chaff?
    >
    > Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I recognise
    > the file-name.
    >
    > Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
    > when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
    > Windows has made me lazy. TIA
    > Bertie

    You'll get a shitload of answers to this one but the best possible answer
    is find someone who knows a lot about tweaking/trimming/streamlining/
    pruning Windows. Sit down with them and tell them what you want to keep.

    If you try it yourself you'll be back asking for help retrieving deleted
    files and programs.

    Meat Plow, Dec 1, 2010

  3. Bertie Doe

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 12:24:16 -0000, "Bertie Doe"
    <> wrote:

    >it regularly hangs up (if that's the correct

    You might need to call on fearless Dan. the big dummy that posts
    garbage here.
    joevan, Dec 1, 2010
  4. Bertie Doe

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 12:24:16 -0000, Bertie Doe wrote:

    > Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's
    > getting seriously slow. It's got over 1 million files,
    > it regularly hangs up (if that's the correct
    > description). To end task, Widows Task Manager,
    > sometimes takes a couple of minutes to load!!
    >
    > I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in
    > saying that the above files are contained in Folders?
    > How will I recognise the wheat from the chaff?
    >
    > Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How
    > would I recognise the file-name.
    >
    > Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the
    > wrong forum) when everything was in dos, I could
    > understand it a bit, but overtime Windows has made me
    > lazy. TIA
    > Bertie

    Besides the million files, do you or have you done preventative
    maintenance on the computer, such as disk clean up and
    defragmentation? This can work wonders even though you have a million
    files. Here is a handy tool to get you started:
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download Clean up your files and
    registry. Here is a fast, and simple defrag:
    http://www.vcsoftwares.com/SpeeDefrag.html
    Good Luck.
    --
    12/1/2010 7:02:36 AM CST
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo38, Dec 1, 2010
  5. Bertie Doe wrote:

    > Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting
    > seriously slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up
    > (if that's the correct description). To end task, Widows Task
    > Manager, sometimes takes a couple of minutes to load!!

    When was the last time you did a complete virus scan? An anti-spyware
    scan?

    > I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the
    > above files are contained in Folders? How will I recognise the wheat
    > from the chaff?

    Everything is contained in "folders" (otherwise known as "directories").

    > Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I
    > recognise the file-name.

    Do you know how to use Windows Explorer? Are you using Windows XP? You
    don't want to be willy-nilly deleting folders, as selecting the wrong
    one could render the computer dead, requiring reinstalling the operating
    system.

    > Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
    > when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
    > Windows has made me lazy. TIA Bertie

    Sounds as if you need a basic course in how to operate Windows. And no,
    Usenet is not the best place to learn such basic tools.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 1, 2010
  6. Bertie Doe

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:24:16 +0000, Bertie Doe wrote:

    > Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting seriously
    > slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up (if that's
    > the correct description). To end task, Widows Task Manager, sometimes
    > takes a couple of minutes to load!!
    >
    > I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the above
    > files are contained in Folders? How will I recognise the wheat from the
    > chaff?
    >
    > Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I recognise
    > the file-name.
    >
    > Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
    > when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
    > Windows has made me lazy. TIA
    > Bertie

    Yes, it's too "full". The *ONLY* way to correct this is to format the
    hard drive, regardless of what some other morons may tell you here in
    this newsgroup. Save yourself some time and get it done.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he cut his initials in the snow.
    Dan C, Dec 1, 2010
  7. Bertie Doe

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On 01 Dec 2010 14:12:24 GMT, Dan C wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:24:16 +0000, Bertie Doe wrote:
    >
    >> Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting seriously
    >> slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up (if that's
    >> the correct description). To end task, Widows Task Manager, sometimes
    >> takes a couple of minutes to load!!
    >>
    >> I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the above
    >> files are contained in Folders? How will I recognise the wheat from the
    >> chaff?
    >>
    >> Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I recognise
    >> the file-name.
    >>
    >> Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
    >> when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
    >> Windows has made me lazy. TIA
    >> Bertie

    > Yes, it's too "full". The *ONLY* way to correct this is to format the
    > hard drive, regardless of what some other morons may tell you here in
    > this newsgroup. Save yourself some time and get it done.

    ROTF Oh Dan
    --
    12/1/2010 8:28:39 AM CST
    Old Gringo38, Dec 1, 2010
  8. Bertie Doe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 08:29:08 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

    > On 01 Dec 2010 14:12:24 GMT, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:24:16 +0000, Bertie Doe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting
    >>> seriously slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up
    >>> (if that's the correct description). To end task, Widows Task Manager,
    >>> sometimes takes a couple of minutes to load!!
    >>>
    >>> I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the
    >>> above files are contained in Folders? How will I recognise the wheat
    >>> from the chaff?
    >>>
    >>> Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I recognise
    >>> the file-name.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
    >>> when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
    >>> Windows has made me lazy. TIA
    >>> Bertie

    >> Yes, it's too "full". The *ONLY* way to correct this is to format the
    >> hard drive, regardless of what some other morons may tell you here in
    >> this newsgroup. Save yourself some time and get it done.

    > ROTF Oh Dan

    Another 'classic' Dan "Revenge Prick" C useless reply.

    Meat Plow, Dec 1, 2010
  9. Bertie Doe

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 14:36:41 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 08:29:08 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

    >>> Yes, it's too "full". The *ONLY* way to correct this is to format the
    >>> hard drive, regardless of what some other morons may tell you here in
    >>> this newsgroup. Save yourself some time and get it done.

    >> ROTF Oh Dan

    > Another 'classic' Dan "Revenge Prick" C useless reply.

    Funny how they all seem to be that way.
    --
    12/1/2010 9:35:57 AM CST
    Old Gringo38, Dec 1, 2010
  10. Bertie Doe

    Bertie Doe Guest

    "Meat Plow" < wrote in message >

    > You'll get a shitload of answers to this one but the
    > best possible answer
    > is find someone who knows a lot about
    > tweaking/trimming/streamlining/
    > pruning Windows. Sit down with them and tell them
    > what you want to keep.
    >
    > If you try it yourself you'll be back asking for help
    > retrieving deleted
    > files and programs.

    There used to be a local guy who charged £35 (+parts)
    whether it took 10mins or all day. Managed to save the
    wife's old Time PC, couple of years ago.
    Sadly he now has a proper 9-5 job. !
    Bertie Doe, Dec 1, 2010
  11. Bertie Doe

    Bertie Doe Guest

    "Old Gringo38" wrote in message

    > Besides the million files, do you or have you done
    > preventative
    > maintenance on the computer, such as disk clean up
    > and
    > defragmentation? This can work wonders even though
    > you have a million
    > files. Here is a handy tool to get you started:
    > http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download Clean up
    > your files and
    > registry. Here is a fast, and simple defrag:
    > http://www.vcsoftwares.com/SpeeDefrag.html
    > Good Luck.
    > --

    Thanks Gring, Norton did have a look at the lot, about
    one month ago (Norton 360) it took about 3 hours,
    included scans and Registry cleanup. If found some
    malware which it deleted. It does daily mini 'system
    idle' scan which mostly kill low risk cookies.

    I haven't done a defrag ever.
    Bertie Doe, Dec 1, 2010
  12. Bertie Doe

    Bertie Doe Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <wrote in message >

    > Everything is contained in "folders" (otherwise known
    > as "directories").
    >

    > Do you know how to use Windows Explorer? Are you
    > using Windows XP? You
    > don't want to be willy-nilly deleting folders, as
    > selecting the wrong
    > one could render the computer dead, requiring
    > reinstalling the operating
    > system.

    Yep deleting the wrong folders is a worry. Everything
    was pre-installed when purchased, no CD software was
    supplied.

    Windows XP, as mentioned did Norton 360 full scan one
    month ago.

    > Sounds as if you need a basic course in how to
    > operate Windows. And no,
    > Usenet is not the best place to learn such basic
    > tools.

    Agreed.
    Bertie Doe, Dec 1, 2010
  13. Bertie Doe

    Bertie Doe Guest

    "Dan C" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, it's too "full". The *ONLY* way to correct this
    > is to format the
    > hard drive, regardless of what some other morons may
    > tell you here in
    > this newsgroup. Save yourself some time and get it
    > done.

    Looking at a blank screen, would be bad for my brain.
    Bertie Doe, Dec 1, 2010
  14. Bertie Doe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 09:36:27 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

    > On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 14:36:41 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> ROTF Oh Dan

    >> Another 'classic' Dan "Revenge Prick" C useless reply.

    > Funny how they all seem to be that way.

    He's very angry.

    Meat Plow, Dec 1, 2010
  15. Bertie Doe

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:49:16 -0000, Bertie Doe wrote:

    > "Old Gringo38" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Besides the million files, do you or have you done
    >> preventative
    >> maintenance on the computer, such as disk clean up
    >> and
    >> defragmentation? This can work wonders even though
    >> you have a million
    >> files. Here is a handy tool to get you started:
    >> http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download Clean up
    >> your files and
    >> registry. Here is a fast, and simple defrag:
    >> http://www.vcsoftwares.com/SpeeDefrag.html
    >> Good Luck.
    >> --

    > Thanks Gring, Norton did have a look at the lot, about
    > one month ago (Norton 360) it took about 3 hours,
    > included scans and Registry cleanup. If found some
    > malware which it deleted. It does daily mini 'system
    > idle' scan which mostly kill low risk cookies.
    >
    > I haven't done a defrag ever.

    It sounds like a good Preventative maintenance job is well needed.
    Get the 2 applications in the sinks supplied and run them both.
    CCleaner first then the SpeedDefrag. Probably solve most of your
    problems. Norton will not do the job required.
    --
    12/1/2010 10:08:15 AM CST
    Old Gringo38, Dec 1, 2010
  16. Bertie Doe

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 16:05:13 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 09:36:27 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

    >>> Another 'classic' Dan "Revenge Prick" C useless reply.

    >> Funny how they all seem to be that way.

    > He's very angry.

    Maybe at himself, no tolerance what so ever. <g>
    --
    12/1/2010 10:11:25 AM CST
    Old Gringo38, Dec 1, 2010
  17. Bertie Doe

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:10:37 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

    > On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:49:16 -0000, Bertie Doe wrote:
    >
    >> "Old Gringo38" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Besides the million files, do you or have you done
    >>> preventative
    >>> maintenance on the computer, such as disk clean up
    >>> and
    >>> defragmentation? This can work wonders even though
    >>> you have a million
    >>> files. Here is a handy tool to get you started:
    >>> http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download Clean up
    >>> your files and
    >>> registry. Here is a fast, and simple defrag:
    >>> http://www.vcsoftwares.com/SpeeDefrag.html
    >>> Good Luck.
    >>> --

    >> Thanks Gring, Norton did have a look at the lot, about
    >> one month ago (Norton 360) it took about 3 hours,
    >> included scans and Registry cleanup. If found some
    >> malware which it deleted. It does daily mini 'system
    >> idle' scan which mostly kill low risk cookies.
    >>
    >> I haven't done a defrag ever.

    > It sounds like a good Preventative maintenance job is well needed.
    > Get the 2 applications in the sinks supplied and run them both.
    > CCleaner first then the SpeedDefrag. Probably solve most of your
    > problems. Norton will not do the job required.

    should have been Links supplied not slinks.. LOL
    --
    12/1/2010 10:13:25 AM CST
    Old Gringo38, Dec 1, 2010
  18. Bertie Doe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 15:39:23 +0000, Bertie Doe wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" < wrote in message >
    >>
    >> You'll get a shitload of answers to this one but the best possible
    >> answer
    >> is find someone who knows a lot about tweaking/trimming/streamlining/
    >> pruning Windows. Sit down with them and tell them what you want to
    >> keep.
    >>
    >> If you try it yourself you'll be back asking for help retrieving
    >> deleted
    >> files and programs.
    >>

    > There used to be a local guy who charged £35 (+parts) whether it took
    > 10mins or all day. Managed to save the wife's old Time PC, couple of
    > years ago. Sadly he now has a proper 9-5 job. !

    Maybe this friend could help you out one weekend. Otherwise you'll need
    to educate yourself and elevate your skill level. Some internet reading
    on spyware/malware/virus detection and removal would be a good start.
    Having a lot of files on your PC doesn't condemn the user to a slow down.
    Having a lot of files in places like your profile can cause a slowdown
    however. Do some research and familiarize yourself with the operating
    system. Once you accomplish that some advanced troubleshooting and
    optimizing skills can be learned if you research on the internet.

    Meat Plow, Dec 1, 2010
  19. Bertie Doe

    wabbit Guest

    On 12/1/2010 7:24 AM, Bertie Doe wrote:
    > Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting seriously
    > slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up (if that's
    > the correct description). To end task, Widows Task Manager, sometimes
    > takes a couple of minutes to load!!
    >
    > I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the above
    > files are contained in Folders?
    > How will I recognise the wheat from the chaff?
    >
    > Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I recognise
    > the file-name.
    >
    > Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
    > when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
    > Windows has made me lazy. TIA

    One known malware that you have running is Norton's antivirus. It's a
    large, resource-hungry program. I've had far better luck running free
    antivirus programs such as Avast or AVG and antispyware programs such as
    Superantispyware and/or Spybot Search and Destroy.

    To help narrow down possibilities, click on Start then Run and type in
    MSCONFIG. Go to the Startup tab and disable the entire lot of programs
    that autostart. Then restart and see if the computer runs faster. If it
    does, you can go one step at a time re-enabling the programs that you
    know you want to run every time the computer starts (there shouldn't be
    many).

    You can also download and run HiJackThis and post the results in one of
    the forums for that purpose. There's usually some helpful person that
    will go over your list of running processes and tell you what to "repair".
    wabbit, Dec 1, 2010
  20. Bertie Doe

    Hot-Text Guest

    That a 100% Meat Plow he need to do a spyware/malware/virus detection and
    removal would be the right start.

    Hot-Text, Dec 1, 2010