    power supply was replaced, it can't be that, it's got to be something
    else. What, though?
    , Oct 27, 2006

  2. John Holmes Guest

    "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I replaced the power supply yesterday on my computer (see "spontaneous
    > reboot problem" posts earlier), and the rebooting problem was gone, so
    > that was the cause (it ran all day without a hitch -- no freezes,
    > crashes, errors, reboots, shutoffs, anything.). But then something else
    > has happened -- today the computer will not start at all. The system
    > fan had been unplugged (I didn't notice until later in the day), but it
    > seemed to work OK. But today, it refused to start (it acted like it was
    > unplugged). After reconnecting the fan, it did start, while the
    > computer was on it's side. Then we tilted it up to it's ordinary
    > vertical orientation, forgetting to shut it down first (probably a dumb
    > idea :( ), and it shut down completely and would not start back up
    > (like before the reconnect. It again acted like it was unplugged.).
    > What the heck happened here? Did the motherboard get toasted? The CPU?
    > Both? Will tilting a computer do that? Why did the problem exist before
    > the fan reconnect? This is baffling... PS. for a while before now it
    > has occasionally been tough to start up, it would refuse to activate
    > until after several pushes of the button. This is ODD... Since the
    > power supply was replaced, it can't be that, it's got to be something
    > else. What, though?

    Personally, I'd never move or even touch a running computer.

    --
    You bulbous collection of mildewed snake innards.
    John Holmes, Oct 27, 2006

  3. PeeCee Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I replaced the power supply yesterday on my computer (see "spontaneous
    > reboot problem" posts earlier), and the rebooting problem was gone, so
    > that was the cause (it ran all day without a hitch -- no freezes,
    > crashes, errors, reboots, shutoffs, anything.). But then something else
    > has happened -- today the computer will not start at all. The system
    > fan had been unplugged (I didn't notice until later in the day), but it
    > seemed to work OK. But today, it refused to start (it acted like it was
    > unplugged). After reconnecting the fan, it did start, while the
    > computer was on it's side. Then we tilted it up to it's ordinary
    > vertical orientation, forgetting to shut it down first (probably a dumb
    > idea :( ), and it shut down completely and would not start back up
    > (like before the reconnect. It again acted like it was unplugged.).
    > What the heck happened here? Did the motherboard get toasted? The CPU?
    > Both? Will tilting a computer do that? Why did the problem exist before
    > the fan reconnect? This is baffling... PS. for a while before now it
    > has occasionally been tough to start up, it would refuse to activate
    > until after several pushes of the button. This is ODD... Since the
    > power supply was replaced, it can't be that, it's got to be something
    > else. What, though?

    There's no loose screws floating around between the case and motherboard
    is there?

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 27, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I replaced the power supply yesterday on my computer (see "spontaneous
    > reboot problem" posts earlier), and the rebooting problem was gone, so
    > that was the cause (it ran all day without a hitch -- no freezes,
    > crashes, errors, reboots, shutoffs, anything.). But then something else
    > has happened -- today the computer will not start at all. The system
    > fan had been unplugged (I didn't notice until later in the day), but it
    > seemed to work OK. But today, it refused to start (it acted like it was
    > unplugged). After reconnecting the fan, it did start, while the
    > computer was on it's side. Then we tilted it up to it's ordinary
    > vertical orientation, forgetting to shut it down first (probably a dumb
    > idea :( ), and it shut down completely and would not start back up
    > (like before the reconnect. It again acted like it was unplugged.).
    > What the heck happened here? Did the motherboard get toasted? The CPU?
    > Both? Will tilting a computer do that? Why did the problem exist before
    > the fan reconnect? This is baffling... PS. for a while before now it
    > has occasionally been tough to start up, it would refuse to activate
    > until after several pushes of the button. This is ODD... Since the
    > power supply was replaced, it can't be that, it's got to be something
    > else. What, though?

    Sounds to me like something needs to be re-seated. Shut it down, remove
    all the RAM and expansion cards, and then put them back in the slots.
    Also, check all the power and data cable connections. Something has got
    to be loose.
    And yes, it is generally a good idea to avoid moving a desktop PC when
    it is running. This is because the heads inside a hard drive run over a
    small cushion of air when it is running - they should never come into
    contact with the spinning platters.
    David Matthew Wood, Oct 27, 2006
  5. Guest

    David Matthew Wood wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I replaced the power supply yesterday on my computer (see "spontaneous
    > > reboot problem" posts earlier), and the rebooting problem was gone, so
    > > that was the cause (it ran all day without a hitch -- no freezes,
    > > crashes, errors, reboots, shutoffs, anything.). But then something else
    > > has happened -- today the computer will not start at all. The system
    > > fan had been unplugged (I didn't notice until later in the day), but it
    > > seemed to work OK. But today, it refused to start (it acted like it was
    > > unplugged). After reconnecting the fan, it did start, while the
    > > computer was on it's side. Then we tilted it up to it's ordinary
    > > vertical orientation, forgetting to shut it down first (probably a dumb
    > > idea :( ), and it shut down completely and would not start back up
    > > (like before the reconnect. It again acted like it was unplugged.).
    > > What the heck happened here? Did the motherboard get toasted? The CPU?
    > > Both? Will tilting a computer do that? Why did the problem exist before
    > > the fan reconnect? This is baffling... PS. for a while before now it
    > > has occasionally been tough to start up, it would refuse to activate
    > > until after several pushes of the button. This is ODD... Since the
    > > power supply was replaced, it can't be that, it's got to be something
    > > else. What, though?

    > Sounds to me like something needs to be re-seated. Shut it down, remove
    > all the RAM and expansion cards, and then put them back in the slots.
    > Also, check all the power and data cable connections. Something has got
    > to be loose.

    I felt all the cards, cables, etc. They seemed to be tight.

    > And yes, it is generally a good idea to avoid moving a desktop PC when
    > it is running. This is because the heads inside a hard drive run over a
    > small cushion of air when it is running - they should never come into
    > contact with the spinning platters.
    , Oct 28, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > David Matthew Wood wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi.
    > > >
    > > > I replaced the power supply yesterday on my computer (see "spontaneous
    > > > reboot problem" posts earlier), and the rebooting problem was gone, so
    > > > that was the cause (it ran all day without a hitch -- no freezes,
    > > > crashes, errors, reboots, shutoffs, anything.). But then something else
    > > > has happened -- today the computer will not start at all. The system
    > > > fan had been unplugged (I didn't notice until later in the day), but it
    > > > seemed to work OK. But today, it refused to start (it acted like it was
    > > > unplugged). After reconnecting the fan, it did start, while the
    > > > computer was on it's side. Then we tilted it up to it's ordinary
    > > > vertical orientation, forgetting to shut it down first (probably a dumb
    > > > idea :( ), and it shut down completely and would not start back up
    > > > (like before the reconnect. It again acted like it was unplugged.).
    > > > What the heck happened here? Did the motherboard get toasted? The CPU?
    > > > Both? Will tilting a computer do that? Why did the problem exist before
    > > > the fan reconnect? This is baffling... PS. for a while before now it
    > > > has occasionally been tough to start up, it would refuse to activate
    > > > until after several pushes of the button. This is ODD... Since the
    > > > power supply was replaced, it can't be that, it's got to be something
    > > > else. What, though?

    > > Sounds to me like something needs to be re-seated. Shut it down, remove
    > > all the RAM and expansion cards, and then put them back in the slots.
    > > Also, check all the power and data cable connections. Something has got
    > > to be loose.

    > I felt all the cards, cables, etc. They seemed to be tight.

    Sometimes that isn't good enough. Better to actually pull them out and
    reseat them.
    David Matthew Wood, Oct 28, 2006
  7. Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I replaced the power supply yesterday on my computer (see "spontaneous
    > > reboot problem" posts earlier), and the rebooting problem was gone, so
    > > that was the cause (it ran all day without a hitch -- no freezes,
    > > crashes, errors, reboots, shutoffs, anything.). But then something else
    > > has happened -- today the computer will not start at all. The system
    > > fan had been unplugged (I didn't notice until later in the day), but it
    > > seemed to work OK. But today, it refused to start (it acted like it was
    > > unplugged). After reconnecting the fan, it did start, while the
    > > computer was on it's side. Then we tilted it up to it's ordinary
    > > vertical orientation, forgetting to shut it down first (probably a dumb
    > > idea :( ), and it shut down completely and would not start back up
    > > (like before the reconnect. It again acted like it was unplugged.).
    > > What the heck happened here? Did the motherboard get toasted? The CPU?
    > > Both? Will tilting a computer do that? Why did the problem exist before
    > > the fan reconnect? This is baffling... PS. for a while before now it
    > > has occasionally been tough to start up, it would refuse to activate
    > > until after several pushes of the button. This is ODD... Since the
    > > power supply was replaced, it can't be that, it's got to be something
    > > else. What, though?
    > >

    > Personally, I'd never move or even touch a running computer.

    Can it damage a computer in such a way as to make it unable to even
    power on?

    > --
    > You bulbous collection of mildewed snake innards.
    , Oct 28, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > John Holmes wrote:
    > > "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    > >
    > > > Hi.
    > > >
    > > > I replaced the power supply yesterday on my computer (see "spontaneous
    > > > reboot problem" posts earlier), and the rebooting problem was gone, so
    > > > that was the cause (it ran all day without a hitch -- no freezes,
    > > > crashes, errors, reboots, shutoffs, anything.). But then something else
    > > > has happened -- today the computer will not start at all. The system
    > > > fan had been unplugged (I didn't notice until later in the day), but it
    > > > seemed to work OK. But today, it refused to start (it acted like it was
    > > > unplugged). After reconnecting the fan, it did start, while the
    > > > computer was on it's side. Then we tilted it up to it's ordinary
    > > > vertical orientation, forgetting to shut it down first (probably a dumb
    > > > idea :( ), and it shut down completely and would not start back up
    > > > (like before the reconnect. It again acted like it was unplugged.).
    > > > What the heck happened here? Did the motherboard get toasted? The CPU?
    > > > Both? Will tilting a computer do that? Why did the problem exist before
    > > > the fan reconnect? This is baffling... PS. for a while before now it
    > > > has occasionally been tough to start up, it would refuse to activate
    > > > until after several pushes of the button. This is ODD... Since the
    > > > power supply was replaced, it can't be that, it's got to be something
    > > > else. What, though?
    > > >

    > > Personally, I'd never move or even touch a running computer.
    > >

    > Can it damage a computer in such a way as to make it unable to even
    > power on?

    No. It can damage data on a hard drive if you bump it sharply - or
    possibly even damage the hard drive itself, but the rest will still
    power on just fine. That is why I'm still willing to bet that something
    is loose or not plugged in properly.
    David Matthew Wood, Oct 28, 2006
  9. Shel-hed Guest

    On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:18:30 GMT, David Matthew Wood
    <> wrote:

    >> I felt all the cards, cables, etc. They seemed to be tight.

    >Sometimes that isn't good enough. Better to actually pull them out and
    >reseat them.

    Absolutely.
    Especially check that the wires on the power supply plug where it plugs into the
    motherboard are seated properly. Sometimes they dislodge from the plastic plug
    thingy because they are only held in by a little barb.
    Shel-hed, Oct 28, 2006
  10. Frosty Guest

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Fri, 27 Oct
    2006 23:18:30 GMT, and David Matthew Wood
    <> vomited forth this bit of wisdom :

    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> David Matthew Wood wrote:

    >> > Sounds to me like something needs to be re-seated. Shut it down, remove
    >> > all the RAM and expansion cards, and then put them back in the slots.
    >> > Also, check all the power and data cable connections. Something has got
    >> > to be loose.

    >> I felt all the cards, cables, etc. They seemed to be tight.

    >Sometimes that isn't good enough. Better to actually pull them out and
    >reseat them.

    Dood's right.
    And if I was gonna bet on what's yer prob I'd bet on the main power
    cord.
    Did you use the new one when you gotcher new pwr supply?
    Frosty, Oct 28, 2006
  11. Guest

    David Matthew Wood wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > David Matthew Wood wrote:

    > > > Sounds to me like something needs to be re-seated. Shut it down, remove
    > > > all the RAM and expansion cards, and then put them back in the slots.
    > > > Also, check all the power and data cable connections. Something has got
    > > > to be loose.

    > > I felt all the cards, cables, etc. They seemed to be tight.

    > Sometimes that isn't good enough. Better to actually pull them out and
    > reseat them

    I did it, still doesn't work.
    , Oct 28, 2006
  12. Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >I replaced the power supply yesterday on my computer (see "spontaneous
    >reboot problem" posts earlier), and the rebooting problem was gone, so
    >that was the cause (it ran all day without a hitch -- no freezes,
    >crashes, errors, reboots, shutoffs, anything.). But then something else
    >has happened -- today the computer will not start at all. The system
    >fan had been unplugged (I didn't notice until later in the day), but it
    >seemed to work OK. But today, it refused to start (it acted like it was
    >unplugged). After reconnecting the fan, it did start, while the
    >computer was on it's side. Then we tilted it up to it's ordinary
    >vertical orientation, forgetting to shut it down first (probably a dumb
    >idea :( ), and it shut down completely and would not start back up
    >(like before the reconnect. It again acted like it was unplugged.).
    >What the heck happened here? Did the motherboard get toasted? The CPU?
    >Both? Will tilting a computer do that? Why did the problem exist before
    >the fan reconnect? This is baffling... PS. for a while before now it
    >has occasionally been tough to start up, it would refuse to activate
    >until after several pushes of the button. This is ODD... Since the
    >power supply was replaced, it can't be that, it's got to be something
    >else. What, though?

    Unplug the computer from the wall, let the power supply reset.

    Maybe the CPU overheated.

    Moving a computer shouldn't hurt it at all, unless you slammed it
    around.

    FWIW, when I finish working on a computer and ready to turn it on; I
    always hold it over my head and shake it first. Yes, screws have
    fallen out at times.

    --
    http://www.flurl.com/item/Best_DUI_Ever_u_197526
    , Oct 28, 2006
  13. Guest

    David Matthew Wood wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > John Holmes wrote:
    > > > "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > > > Personally, I'd never move or even touch a running computer.
    > > >

    > > Can it damage a computer in such a way as to make it unable to even
    > > power on?

    > No. It can damage data on a hard drive if you bump it sharply - or
    > possibly even damage the hard drive itself, but the rest will still
    > power on just fine. That is why I'm still willing to bet that something
    > is loose or not plugged in properly.

    I took every cable, etc. out of the motherboard, even took the MB
    itself
    out of the box and then put it all back in and made sure everything was
    tight. Still is as dead as a doornail. PS. The light on/near the
    integrated
    ethernet port is still on, so it's getting power and the circuit to
    that part of
    the computer must still be good.
    , Oct 28, 2006
  14. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi.
    > >
    > >I replaced the power supply yesterday on my computer (see "spontaneous
    > >reboot problem" posts earlier), and the rebooting problem was gone, so
    > >that was the cause (it ran all day without a hitch -- no freezes,
    > >crashes, errors, reboots, shutoffs, anything.). But then something else
    > >has happened -- today the computer will not start at all. The system
    > >fan had been unplugged (I didn't notice until later in the day), but it
    > >seemed to work OK. But today, it refused to start (it acted like it was
    > >unplugged). After reconnecting the fan, it did start, while the
    > >computer was on it's side. Then we tilted it up to it's ordinary
    > >vertical orientation, forgetting to shut it down first (probably a dumb
    > >idea :( ), and it shut down completely and would not start back up
    > >(like before the reconnect. It again acted like it was unplugged.).
    > >What the heck happened here? Did the motherboard get toasted? The CPU?
    > >Both? Will tilting a computer do that? Why did the problem exist before
    > >the fan reconnect? This is baffling... PS. for a while before now it
    > >has occasionally been tough to start up, it would refuse to activate
    > >until after several pushes of the button. This is ODD... Since the
    > >power supply was replaced, it can't be that, it's got to be something
    > >else. What, though?

    > Unplug the computer from the wall, let the power supply reset.

    It's been unplugged many times for the servicing.

    > Maybe the CPU overheated.

    Why? The CPU temperature didn't get much over 118 F... I had put
    a new cooler in not too long ago...

    > Moving a computer shouldn't hurt it at all, unless you slammed it
    > around.

    Which I didn't.

    > FWIW, when I finish working on a computer and ready to turn it on; I
    > always hold it over my head and shake it first. Yes, screws have
    > fallen out at times.

    I pulled out the MB! There was NO screws under there. I've moved it
    around more than you care to think about... I heard _no_ rattling or
    anything like that.

    > --
    > http://www.flurl.com/item/Best_DUI_Ever_u_197526
    , Oct 28, 2006
  15. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > David Matthew Wood wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > wrote:

    > > > Can it damage a computer in such a way as to make it unable to even
    > > > power on?

    > > No. It can damage data on a hard drive if you bump it sharply - or
    > > possibly even damage the hard drive itself, but the rest will still
    > > power on just fine. That is why I'm still willing to bet that something
    > > is loose or not plugged in properly.

    > I took every cable, etc. out of the motherboard, even took the MB
    > itself
    > out of the box and then put it all back in and made sure everything was
    > tight. Still is as dead as a doornail. PS. The light on/near the
    > integrated
    > ethernet port is still on, so it's getting power and the circuit to
    > that part of
    > the computer must still be good.

    Ok, then it is quite possible that something has overheated since one of
    the fans weren't connected. Which fan didn't you connect?
    David Matthew Wood, Oct 28, 2006
  16. pengulin Guest

    Since you have had trouble turning it on - at least on occaision -- in the
    past, did you try shorting the pins on the motherboard for the power switch?
    You've replaced the power supply, but that doesn't mean the switch couldn't
    be bad as well.
    pengulin, Oct 28, 2006
  17. Guest

    David Matthew Wood wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > David Matthew Wood wrote:

    > > > No. It can damage data on a hard drive if you bump it sharply - or
    > > > possibly even damage the hard drive itself, but the rest will still
    > > > power on just fine. That is why I'm still willing to bet that something
    > > > is loose or not plugged in properly.

    > > I took every cable, etc. out of the motherboard, even took the MB
    > > itself
    > > out of the box and then put it all back in and made sure everything was
    > > tight. Still is as dead as a doornail. PS. The light on/near the
    > > integrated
    > > ethernet port is still on, so it's getting power and the circuit to
    > > that part of
    > > the computer must still be good.

    > Ok, then it is quite possible that something has overheated since one of
    > the fans weren't connected. Which fan didn't you connect?

    The case fan. And would this explain why it shut down while being
    tilted
    while running 90 degrees?
    , Oct 28, 2006
  18. Guest

    Shel-hed wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:18:30 GMT, David Matthew Wood
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >> I felt all the cards, cables, etc. They seemed to be tight.

    > >Sometimes that isn't good enough. Better to actually pull them out and
    > >reseat them.

    > Absolutely.
    > Especially check that the wires on the power supply plug where it plugs into the
    > motherboard are seated properly. Sometimes they dislodge from the plastic plug
    > thingy because they are only held in by a little barb.

    That's been checked. There's one wire missing but it's not just
    disconnected, it's
    missing as in the power supply was manufactured that way. It worked for
    the whole
    of yesterday so obviously the wire was not needed. It's just that this
    morning it
    failed. It wouldn't turn on in the morning, so if we were going to open
    it up we
    decided to reconnect the case fan (might as well eh?). We did it,
    turned it on while
    it was horizontal, it started up, then _as it was running_ it was
    tilted 90 degrees
    to it's normal vertical position. During the tilting it shut down and
    died as though
    someone pulled the plug on it. How would the tilting have killed it,
    anyway? And
    what was failing beforehand that would make it hard to boot?
    , Oct 28, 2006
  19. Guest

    pengulin wrote:
    > Since you have had trouble turning it on - at least on occaision -- in the
    > past, did you try shorting the pins on the motherboard for the power switch?
    > You've replaced the power supply, but that doesn't mean the switch couldn't
    > be bad as well.

    Tested it with a battery. Works good.
    , Oct 28, 2006
  20. Guest

    "pengulin" <> wrote:

    >Since you have had trouble turning it on - at least on occaision -- in the
    >past, did you try shorting the pins on the motherboard for the power switch?
    >You've replaced the power supply, but that doesn't mean the switch couldn't
    >be bad as well.

    To follow up, also test the power supply and see if it works.

    "While we're at it, you can power up an ATX power supply by shorting
    the green wire with any black ground wire. "
    http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/ATXPowerSupplyWiring/ATXPowerSupplyWiring.htm
    --
    http://nonk.nonk.info/pages/guys_caught_staring/guy_caught_staring_07.jpg
    , Oct 28, 2006