    and I can read the data on the hard drive from there. Could the
    motherboard be toast? (Bad IDE controller? These are IDE disks.) The
    hard drive? What?
    mike3, Mar 8, 2010

  2. mike3

    pimpom Guest

    mike3 wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > What's wrong with this computer? I had a graphics card fail in
    > it, so
    > I replaced the card and tried booting, and it is real slow to
    > POST and
    > doesn't want to boot from the hard drive ("DISK BOOT FAILURE").
    > Yet I
    > can boot from a CD (slow at "Boot from CD/DVD:" but then it
    > gets it),
    > and I can read the data on the hard drive from there. Could the
    > motherboard be toast? (Bad IDE controller? These are IDE
    > disks.) The
    > hard drive? What?

    If you can read from the hard disk after booting with a CD, the
    hardware is probably OK. The OS installation or the partition may
    be corrupted. You may have knocked a connector loose while
    replacing the graphics card.

    While the computer is completely turned off, push the RAMs and
    the IDE cable in firmly. Also check the 4-pin Molex power
    connector to the hard disk. Push and pull each of the four wires
    _individually_ and see if any of them feels loose.
    pimpom, Mar 8, 2010

  3. mike3

    mike3 Guest

    On Mar 8, 1:42 pm, mike3 <> wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > What's wrong with this computer? I had a graphics card fail in it, so
    > I replaced the card and tried booting, and it is real slow to POST and
    > doesn't want to boot from the hard drive ("DISK BOOT FAILURE"). Yet I
    > can boot from a CD (slow at "Boot from CD/DVD:" but then it gets it),
    > and I can read the data on the hard drive from there. Could the
    > motherboard be toast? (Bad IDE controller? These are IDE disks.) The
    > hard drive? What?

    I just took out the IDE hard drive and now it doesn't have any
    problem. Might've
    just been a dying HDD...
    mike3, Mar 8, 2010
  4. mike3

    pimpom Guest

    mike3 wrote:
    > On Mar 8, 1:42 pm, mike3 <> wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> What's wrong with this computer? I had a graphics card fail in
    >> it, so
    >> I replaced the card and tried booting, and it is real slow to
    >> POST
    >> and doesn't want to boot from the hard drive ("DISK BOOT
    >> FAILURE").
    >> Yet I can boot from a CD (slow at "Boot from CD/DVD:" but then
    >> it
    >> gets it), and I can read the data on the hard drive from
    >> there.
    >> Could the motherboard be toast? (Bad IDE controller? These are
    >> IDE
    >> disks.) The hard drive? What?

    > I just took out the IDE hard drive and now it doesn't have any
    > problem. Might've
    > just been a dying HDD...

    Certainly a possibility. But I suggest you check the connectors.
    I've come across many cases where symptoms like the ones you
    described were caused by improper contacts at the connectors.
    pimpom, Mar 8, 2010
  5. In message <>,
    mike3 wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > What's wrong with this computer? I had a graphics card fail in it, so
    > I replaced the card and tried booting, and it is real slow to POST and
    > doesn't want to boot from the hard drive ("DISK BOOT FAILURE"). Yet I
    > can boot from a CD (slow at "Boot from CD/DVD:" but then it gets it),
    > and I can read the data on the hard drive from there. Could the
    > motherboard be toast? (Bad IDE controller? These are IDE disks.) The
    > hard drive? What?

    What OS are you trying to boot that fails?

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/
    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 8, 2010
  6. mike3

    mike3 Guest

    On Mar 8, 2:35 pm, "pimpom" <> wrote:
    > mike3 wrote:
    > > On Mar 8, 1:42 pm, mike3 <> wrote:
    > >> Hi.

    > >> What's wrong with this computer? I had a graphics card fail in
    > >> it, so
    > >> I replaced the card and tried booting, and it is real slow to
    > >> POST
    > >> and doesn't want to boot from the hard drive ("DISK BOOT
    > >> FAILURE").
    > >> Yet I can boot from a CD (slow at "Boot from CD/DVD:" but then
    > >> it
    > >> gets it), and I can read the data on the hard drive from
    > >> there.
    > >> Could the motherboard be toast? (Bad IDE controller? These are
    > >> IDE
    > >> disks.) The hard drive? What?

    > > I just took out the IDE hard drive and now it doesn't have any
    > > problem. Might've
    > > just been a dying HDD...

    > Certainly a possibility. But I suggest you check the connectors.
    > I've come across many cases where symptoms like the ones you
    > described were caused by improper contacts at the connectors.

    Yeah, I replaced the connecting cable with another one, and it didn't
    fix the problem.
    mike3, Mar 8, 2010
  7. mike3

    mike3 Guest

    On Mar 8, 2:48 pm, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    > In message <>,
    >
    > mike3 wrote:
    > > Hi.

    > > What's wrong with this computer? I had a graphics card fail in it, so
    > > I replaced the card and tried booting, and it is real slow to POST and
    > > doesn't want to boot from the hard drive ("DISK BOOT FAILURE"). Yet I
    > > can boot from a CD (slow at "Boot from CD/DVD:" but then it gets it),
    > > and I can read the data on the hard drive from there. Could the
    > > motherboard be toast? (Bad IDE controller? These are IDE disks.) The
    > > hard drive? What?

    > What OS are you trying to boot that fails?

    It's a Linux system.
    mike3, Mar 8, 2010
  8. mike3

    chuckcar Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > In message
    > <>,
    > mike3 wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> What's wrong with this computer? I had a graphics card fail in it, so
    >> I replaced the card and tried booting, and it is real slow to POST
    >> and doesn't want to boot from the hard drive ("DISK BOOT FAILURE").
    >> Yet I can boot from a CD (slow at "Boot from CD/DVD:" but then it
    >> gets it), and I can read the data on the hard drive from there. Could
    >> the motherboard be toast? (Bad IDE controller? These are IDE disks.)
    >> The hard drive? What?

    > What OS are you trying to boot that fails?

    Doesn't matter in the slightest. This problem doesn't go beyond the
    BIOS, the motherboard, drive controllers cables and drives.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 8, 2010