    I can find out where it is coming from!

    Ed

    , May 11, 2006

  2. RalfG Guest

    An Ad Hoc connection could be set up on any wireless computer. They could
    use a high gain or directional antenna to get the stronger signal. Could be
    a computer inside your building, or someone with a laptop sitting out in the
    parking lot looking to get lucky, either hacking into your system or just
    stealing internet bandwidth. Could be innocent too, someone needing to span
    a long distance to connect to their own network.

    You could triangulate the systerm's location using a wireless laptop and
    suitable software, but I'm not the one to tell you how to go about it.

    RalfG, May 11, 2006

  3. Hi

    Could be a person with a laptop that is Not even aware that the laptop has
    wireless and it is transmitting.

    Assuming that your system is infrastructure and with full security then
    there should not be meaning traffic coming out of this computer since it
    configured to Ad-Hoc.

    Otherwise has said above you need a Laptop with Highly directional Antenna
    in order to try-angulated on the source
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation ).

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 11, 2006
  4. James Gockel Guest

    Heres also an issue with Windows and adhoc... that might be what you're
    seeing.
    If you have an adhoc profile set up, and your computer can not connect to
    any other wiresless signal, guess what, your own computer will see (and
    broadcast) an adhoc connection (an adhoc connection does not require two or
    more computers, just the one.) When your own computer shows this connection,
    because it's technically just talking to itself, it's a great connection.

    -James G.

    James Gockel, May 11, 2006
  5. Pavel A. Guest

    What your IT person at work says? Do you use built-in Windows
    support for wireless or some custom utility?

    --PA

    Pavel A., May 12, 2006