computer-to-computer XP Profesional vs. Vista Home

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by peter.drienovsky@gmail.com, May 14, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I haven't found anything such specific as my situation, so I've
    decided to ask for an assistance here.

    I've managed to set up a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) wireless
    network between two laptops:

    A:
    XP Pro v.2002 SP3
    that is included in my employer's domain
    private IP address for ad hoc network: 10.5.1.5

    B:
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
    that is configured to be a part of workgroup
    private IP address for ad hoc network: 10.5.1.6

    The network was set up in my home outside of reach of my employer's
    network, and thus out of reach of domain controller.

    I was able to go as far as to the point when each computer was able to
    ping the other one.

    Now is there a possibility to mutually share a folder on each A and B,
    so that the opposite computer can use it while:
    - A remains in the domain (I do not want to mess up my work laptop's
    configuration)
    - access to the shared folders will be anonymous without need of
    authentication( = no need to create new user accounts on A for B and
    vice versa)
    ?

    If no, what minimal changes to the A's and/or B's configuration are
    needed to get thing work?

    Currently if A requests B's "\\10.5.1.6\share" it gets authentication
    window to log in to B.
    On the other hand if B requests A's "\\10.5.1.5\share" it gets error
    message. I'm sorry, the message is in Czech language, but it tells
    something like "There are no servers available for log in to
    proceed..... blah blah blah"

    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

    Peter.

    , May 14, 2009

  2. Donald Guest

    Hi Peter,
    When you are sharing a folder on the Vista machine within a workgroup, the
    authenticatin information is stored on the Vista machine itself, so you can
    type in a password to get access to it from the XP machine. When you share a
    folder on the XP machine, the authorization is granted to a network user
    account which is managed only by the domain controllers. That is why you saw
    that error message. I got some walkarounds for you to try. First of all,
    when you share those folders, you will see the place for you to specify
    which users are eligible for the access to those shares. You can try to use
    Everyone or use a local account, such as the administrator account you
    created during the installation of the Operating System on the XP machine.
    So it may pass the authentication by using the account information stored in
    the local user database of the XP machine.

    Hope it helps.
    Donald

    Donald, May 16, 2009