Computer to computer connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by MS, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. MS

    MS Guest

    Please forgive this newbie question:

    Two laptop computers, both running Windows XP Pro, both with PC card
    wireless networking adapters. (Although one card is "B" (from D-Link), and
    one card is "G" (from Netgear).)

    Can these two computers, not in any standard network, connect to each other
    via the wireless cards, without cables, to transfer files back and forth?

    If so, how should I set the settings to get that result. I guess that would
    be considered an "ad-hoc" network, no?, since there are no routers or
    servers, etc. Besides setting "ad-hoc", what other settings would need to be
    made?

    Each of the cards comes with configuration software for setting the
    settings. Since they are from different manufacturers, the software is
    different for each card (although similar). I believe Win XP also comes with
    wireless network configuration capability. Should I use the manufacturer's
    configuration utilities to set the computers up to connect, or just use the
    utility built into Win XP Pro?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

    MS, Jul 9, 2004

  2. MS

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    You are on the right track.

    Install the cards drivers (AD-Hoc Mode).

    Configure the Network and the sharing.

    Configuration of the Sharing is the same for Wire and Wireless.

    Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
    Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 11, 2004

  3. MS

    MS Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    I haven't yet got it to work.

    Both the cards are set to Ad Hoc. They do seem to connect with each other,
    both have an icon in the system tray that there is a connection.

    Both hard drives are set for sharing, the whole hard drive of each.

    However, I cannot get them to communicate with each other. If I look in "My
    Computer" in either, I cannot see the drive from the other computer listed.
    If I click on "Tools", "Map Network Drive", it doesn't find the drive of the
    other computer.

    I have run the "Network Setup Wizard (Windows XP Pro) on both. One of them
    set up as main Internet connection. (Although I'm really not doing this for
    internet connection, just to transfer files, etc.) The Wizard seemed to do
    its thing and complete OK.

    What have I done wrong, or not done?

    Thank you.

    MS, Jul 24, 2004