Computer terms

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Lloyd Jones, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    GUI

    Abbreviated GUI (pronounced GOO-ee). A program interface that takes
    advantage of the computer's graphics capabilities to make the program easier
    to use. Well-designed graphical user interfaces can free the user from
    learning complex command languages. On the other hand, many users find that
    they work more effectively with a command-driven interface, especially if
    they already know the command language.

    TCP/IP

    Abbreviation of Transmission Control Protocol, and pronounced as separate
    letters. TCP is one of the main protocols in TCP/IP networks. Whereas the IP
    protocol deals only with packets, TCP enables two hosts to establish a
    connection and exchange streams of data. TCP guarantees delivery of data and
    also guarantees that packets will be delivered in the same order in which
    they were sent.

    Intranet

    A network based on TCP/IP protocols (an internet) belonging to an
    organization, usually a corporation, accessible only by the organization's
    members, employees, or others with authorization. An intranet's Web sites
    look and act just like any other Web sites, but the firewall surrounding an
    intranet fends off unauthorized access.
    Like the Internet itself, intranets are used to share information. Secure
    intranets are now the fastest-growing segment of the Internet because they
    are much less expensive to build and manage than private networks based on
    proprietary protocols.

    ASCII

    Acronym for the American Standard Code for Information Interchange.
    Pronounced ask-ee, ASCII is a code for representing English characters as
    numbers, with each letter assigned a number from 0 to 127. For example, the
    ASCII code for uppercase M is 77. Most computers use ASCII codes to
    represent text, which makes it possible to transfer data from one computer
    to another.

    For a list of commonly used characters and their ASCII equivalents, refer to
    the ASCII page in the Quick Reference section.

    Text files stored in ASCII format are sometimes called ASCII files. Text
    editors and word processors are usually capable of storing data in ASCII
    format, although ASCII format is not always the default storage format. Most
    data files, particularly if they contain numeric data, are not stored in
    ASCII format. Executable programs are never stored in ASCII format.

    The standard ASCII character set uses just 7 bits for each character. There
    are several larger character sets that use 8 bits, which gives them 128
    additional characters. The extra characters are used to represent
    non-English characters, graphics symbols, and mathematical symbols. Several
    companies and organizations have proposed extensions for these 128
    characters. The DOS operating system uses a superset of ASCII called
    extended ASCII or high ASCII. A more universal standard is the ISO Latin 1
    set of characters, which is used by many operating systems, as well as Web
    browsers.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 9, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Am doing an IT course at TAFE and my first assignment requires me to create
    a glossary of computer terms using web sites and newsgroups.

    So if anyone has a spare minute or two I need a definition for the following
    computer terms:

    GUI
    TCP/IP
    intranet
    ASCII

    Many thanks
    THERESE CONDLIFFE, Jun 9, 2004

  3. Lloyd Jones

    colin Guest

    THERESE CONDLIFFE <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Am doing an IT course at TAFE and my first assignment requires me to

    create
    > a glossary of computer terms using web sites and newsgroups.
    >
    > So if anyone has a spare minute or two I need a definition for the

    following
    > computer terms:
    >
    > GUI
    > TCP/IP
    > intranet
    > ASCII
    >
    > Many thanks

    What doe`s IT stand for?
    colin, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Are you joking?

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Lloyd Jones

    colin Guest

    Lloyd Jones <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Are you joking?
    >
    > LJ

    of course:)
    colin, Jun 9, 2004
  6. Lloyd Jones

    Chet Guest

    > What doe`s IT stand for?

    Information Technology
    Chet, Jun 9, 2004
  7. Lloyd Jones

    Wiz Guest

    GUI=Graphical User Interface
    TCP/IP= Transmition Control Protocol over Internet Protocol
    Intranet = Local Area Network (LAN)
    ASCII = American Standard Code for Information Interchange

    Wiz, Jun 9, 2004
  8. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I them in detail in my post.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 9, 2004
  9. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I explained them in detail in my post.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 9, 2004
  10. Lloyd Jones

    Anan Amis Guest

    http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/

    Anan Amis, Jun 10, 2004
  11. Lloyd Jones

    Linda Guest

    Pick a search engine, almost any search engine.
    I used the keywords "+abbreviation +computer +gui" & got >45,000 pages.
    replace gui with ascii, etc

    You'll answer your own questions in maybe 5 mins instead of having to wait
    for sensible replies from a ng.

    Linda, Jun 11, 2004