Computer -- Tablet, really -- Question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Apr 14, 2013.

  1. Some of the Toyota guys are computer savvy, that's why I crossposted.

    My wife is taking a trip to Europe and plans on giving a tablet to a
    relative as a gift.

    Is it a good idea to buy the tablet here or wait until she gets to Europe to
    buy it?

    The exchange rate is not favorable, the cost to buy in Europe is higher than
    here, so the issue is if there is a difference in the OS or some other
    feature that justifies the added cost of buying overseas.

    I am thinking about the differences in GPS units. For example, a USA-based
    GPS has North American maps and does not know where it is if it is not in
    the USA, Canada, or Mexico. Will a tablet suffer the same kind of
    limitation?

    She is not interested in 3G or 4G, her plan is to only get a wi-fi capable
    tablet. She has also not settled on a specific make or model, but the
    purpose is for her brother to Skype with her and for him to do e-mail and
    Facebook, and so on.

    We don't care very much about the exhange rate IF there is an operational
    benefit of having a tablet from the market where it will be used. If the
    machine does not care, then obviously saving a few dollars and buying here
    makes sense. But if the machine does care about where it operates, then
    saving a few dollars is not worth it.

    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 14, 2013

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Geoff Welsh Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > Some of the Toyota guys are computer savvy, that's why I crossposted.
    >
    > My wife is taking a trip to Europe and plans on giving a tablet to a
    > relative as a gift.
    >
    > Is it a good idea to buy the tablet here or wait until she gets to
    > Europe to buy it?
    >
    > The exchange rate is not favorable, the cost to buy in Europe is higher
    > than here, so the issue is if there is a difference in the OS or some
    > other feature that justifies the added cost of buying overseas.
    >
    > I am thinking about the differences in GPS units. For example, a
    > USA-based GPS has North American maps and does not know where it is if
    > it is not in the USA, Canada, or Mexico. Will a tablet suffer the same
    > kind of limitation?
    >
    > She is not interested in 3G or 4G, her plan is to only get a wi-fi
    > capable tablet. She has also not settled on a specific make or model,
    > but the purpose is for her brother to Skype with her and for him to do
    > e-mail and Facebook, and so on.
    >
    > We don't care very much about the exhange rate IF there is an
    > operational benefit of having a tablet from the market where it will be
    > used. If the machine does not care, then obviously saving a few dollars
    > and buying here makes sense. But if the machine does care about where it
    > operates, then saving a few dollars is not worth it.
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts,

    my first thought is "importing? customs? better make it look used"
    GW
    Geoff Welsh, Apr 14, 2013

  3. "Geoff Welsh" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> Some of the Toyota guys are computer savvy, that's why I crossposted.
    >>
    >> My wife is taking a trip to Europe and plans on giving a tablet to a
    >> relative as a gift.
    >>
    >> Is it a good idea to buy the tablet here or wait until she gets to
    >> Europe to buy it?
    >>
    >> The exchange rate is not favorable, the cost to buy in Europe is higher
    >> than here, so the issue is if there is a difference in the OS or some
    >> other feature that justifies the added cost of buying overseas.
    >>
    >> I am thinking about the differences in GPS units. For example, a
    >> USA-based GPS has North American maps and does not know where it is if
    >> it is not in the USA, Canada, or Mexico. Will a tablet suffer the same
    >> kind of limitation?
    >>
    >> She is not interested in 3G or 4G, her plan is to only get a wi-fi
    >> capable tablet. She has also not settled on a specific make or model,
    >> but the purpose is for her brother to Skype with her and for him to do
    >> e-mail and Facebook, and so on.
    >>
    >> We don't care very much about the exhange rate IF there is an
    >> operational benefit of having a tablet from the market where it will be
    >> used. If the machine does not care, then obviously saving a few dollars
    >> and buying here makes sense. But if the machine does care about where it
    >> operates, then saving a few dollars is not worth it.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your thoughts,

    > my first thought is "importing? customs? better make it look used"
    > GW

    She can take a personal item and give it to her brother. No problem there.
    The question is if the USA models will work in Europe AND enjoy all features
    and functions.
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 14, 2013
  4. "Ralph Mowery" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> She can take a personal item and give it to her brother. No problem
    >> there. The question is if the USA models will work in Europe AND enjoy
    >> all features and functions.
    >>

    > The charger probaly will not work in Europe.. She may be able to get one
    > that will work, or if she brings one back to the states, buy a charger
    > here.

    The charger is good for 120-240V, and 50-60hz. There is a plug-compatability
    issue, but the electricity is okay. We make the trip to Europe every few
    years, the only question is if a tablet device has limitations on geography
    similar to a GPS -- USA models do not have/support maps from Europe. .

    Everything else is covered, we only don't know if there is a
    feature/compatibility issue vis a vis USA and Europe as the OS and apps
    might be concerned.
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 14, 2013
  5. Jeff Strickland

    SMS Guest

    On 04/14/2013 08:13 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > We don't care very much about the exhange rate IF there is an
    > operational benefit of having a tablet from the market where it will be
    > used. If the machine does not care, then obviously saving a few dollars
    > and buying here makes sense. But if the machine does care about where it
    > operates, then saving a few dollars is not worth it.
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts,

    Just be sure that it has a GPS at all. I.e. the Wi-Fi only iPads do not
    have GPS, nor do the Kindles or the Nooks. These should be avoided at
    all costs.

    Look at apps like NavFree or CoPilot. The latter is not free but the
    maps seem better than the ones on NavFree, and the GPS functionality in
    terms of directions is much better on CoPilot.

    The 2nd generation Nexus 7 is coming out soon, and the Nexus 10 is an
    excellent deal. Both lack an SD card slot though.
    SMS, Apr 15, 2013
  6. In article <516b5abe$0$52801$>,
    SMS <> wrote:

    > The 2nd generation Nexus 7 is coming out soon, and the Nexus 10 is an
    > excellent deal. Both lack an SD card slot though.

    The first generation Nexus 7 *is* out, so why ignore that?

    As for an SD slot, that's solved with a $2 cable.
    Elmo P. Shagnasty, Apr 15, 2013