Computer stuck in start screen

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gurble, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Gurble

    Gurble Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:19:14 -0700, "Angela & Jim Ross"
    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me I had a friend ring me tonight as her computer is stuck
    >in the windows 98 screen and it won't progress any further. I f she starts
    >in safe mode it will get past this screen and to the desktop.
    >Any idear as to what may be causing this.
    >
    >Angie

    There are many possibilities.

    Does it actually "lock up", or does the var thingee continue to move?

    If you leave it for an hour or so, does it progress through?

    Gurble, Jun 16, 2004

  2. Gurble

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Angela & Jim Ross" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me I had a friend ring me tonight as her computer is stuck
    > in the windows 98 screen and it won't progress any further. I f she

    starts
    > in safe mode it will get past this screen and to the desktop.
    > Any idear as to what may be causing this.
    >
    > Angie

    She may have installed something it doesn't like. You need to find out if
    anything out of the normal was done on it before the problem. It might be
    video card related, as a shot in the dark as one of the possibilities. She
    might've added new hardware to it, a printer or scanner.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 16, 2004

  3. Angela & Jim Ross wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me I had a friend ring me tonight as her computer is stuck
    > in the windows 98 screen and it won't progress any further. I f she starts
    > in safe mode it will get past this screen and to the desktop.
    > Any idear as to what may be causing this.
    >
    > Angie

    Umm lets see.

    Oh thats right Zafi got you.

    See www.sarc.com and look up Zafi. It sounds like what I had to sort out
    for a client yesterday,.

    Justin C. Le Grice, Jun 16, 2004
  4. Gurble

    Rider Guest

    > Can anyone tell me I had a friend ring me tonight as her computer is stuck
    > in the windows 98 screen and it won't progress any further. I f she

    starts
    > in safe mode it will get past this screen and to the desktop.
    > Any idear as to what may be causing this.
    >
    > Angie

    Boot to safe mode then from the 'run' command type msconfig. On the genral
    tab, click selective startup and untick Startup Group. Click apply and
    restart computer. Hopefully whatever is stopping it from starting is in the
    startup Group and you can trace it that way.

    Angela & Jim Ross, Jun 17, 2004
  6. Gurble

    Rider Guest

    > Apparently she rung someone else as I had assignments to finish befroe 4

    pm
    > th next day and he took her through the safe mode step by step restart and
    > after that she could start the computer normally. This lady has a habbit

    of
    > when she wants something fixed she wants it NOW! no matter what anyone

    else
    > is doing so she rings around to find who can give her what she wants.

    Sounds like the average computer user who has stuffed their computer up.
    LoL

    Angela & Jim Ross, Jun 18, 2004