    and Defragmented the drives and came up with no errors. Any ideas? Thanks a
    lot.

    Chad

    Chad, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Chad

    colin Guest

    Chad <> wrote in message
    news:a%lwc.38808$...
    > Hi, I have a Dell 825, 2.4Ghz P4, 512MB ram. I've had the computer over a
    > year now, and it has worked great up until now. All of the sudden I have
    > started getting a problem where the computer will just stop responding. It
    > seems to happen no matter what application I am running. I will be using

    the
    > computer, and all of the sudden everything just stops responding, and my
    > hard drive will start to run...pause...run...pause repeatedly. During this
    > time, I can do nothing. I can't open, or close programs. The computer will
    > do this for 2-3 minutes, then it will just come back, and everything will
    > work perfectly for awhile, till the next "attack" comes on. I am out of
    > ideas, I have scanned for viruses, spyware, made sure I didn't have any
    > loose connections on any cards inside the computer, etc. I also ran Scan
    > Disk,
    > and Defragmented the drives and came up with no errors. Any ideas? Thanks

    > lot.
    >
    > Chad

    Hi Chad

    There`s guesses, and educated guesses; I`m one of the uneducated`s:)

    Check your cpu fan for fluff (f`ck i hope my cat`s not in there)

    colin, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Chad

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Chad" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a Dell 825, 2.4Ghz P4, 512MB ram. I've had the computer over a
    > year now, and it has worked great up until now. All of the sudden I have
    > started getting a problem where the computer will just stop responding. It
    > seems to happen no matter what application I am running. I will be using

    the
    > computer, and all of the sudden everything just stops responding, and my
    > hard drive will start to run...pause...run...pause repeatedly. During this
    > time, I can do nothing. I can't open, or close programs. The computer will
    > do this for 2-3 minutes, then it will just come back, and everything will
    > work perfectly for awhile, till the next "attack" comes on. I am out of
    > ideas, I have scanned for viruses, spyware, made sure I didn't have any
    > loose connections on any cards inside the computer, etc. I also ran Scan
    > Disk,
    > and Defragmented the drives and came up with no errors. Any ideas? Thanks

    > lot.
    >
    > Chad

    When you scanned for viruses and spyware, did it find anything? The problem
    might of been caused by a virus. Even though you might of removed the virus,
    the damage has still been done.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Chad

    mark mandel Guest

    "Chad" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a Dell 825, 2.4Ghz P4, 512MB ram. I've had the computer over a
    > year now, and it has worked great up until now. All of the sudden I have
    > started getting a problem where the computer will just stop responding. It
    > seems to happen no matter what application I am running. I will be using

    the
    > computer, and all of the sudden everything just stops responding, and my
    > hard drive will start to run...pause...run...pause repeatedly. During this
    > time, I can do nothing. I can't open, or close programs. The computer will
    > do this for 2-3 minutes, then it will just come back, and everything will
    > work perfectly for awhile, till the next "attack" comes on. I am out of
    > ideas, I have scanned for viruses, spyware, made sure I didn't have any
    > loose connections on any cards inside the computer, etc. I also ran Scan
    > Disk,
    > and Defragmented the drives and came up with no errors. Any ideas? Thanks

    > lot.
    >
    > Chad

    I'd be inclined to think this is from an overheating cpu. If you open the
    case, then blow a fan in the direction of the cpu for awhile and see if the
    problem is still there.

    mark mandel, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Chad

    Michael-NC Guest

    See what's running and then you can start stripping out programs.

    Michael-NC, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Chad

    Chad Guest

    Thanks for the replies so far. First, as far as the computer finding any
    viruses, it did not. There were a few spyware programs detected that I
    removed with Ad-Aware though. Next, overheating is one issue I over looked.
    I just checked it out, and my fan is running...but not very strong, but it
    may have always been this way, I don't know. I did have quite a bit of dust
    on the CPU heat sink, but the heat sink it self did not feel very warm to
    me. I'm still not ruling out a heating issue though, I blew out the dust,
    and I am going to run the system with the case open for awhile to see if
    that helps. Thanks, I will post my results!

    Chad

    Chad, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Chad

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Chad" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the replies so far. First, as far as the computer finding any
    > viruses, it did not. There were a few spyware programs detected that I
    > removed with Ad-Aware though. Next, overheating is one issue I over

    looked.
    > I just checked it out, and my fan is running...but not very strong, but it
    > may have always been this way, I don't know. I did have quite a bit of

    dust
    > on the CPU heat sink, but the heat sink it self did not feel very warm to
    > me. I'm still not ruling out a heating issue though, I blew out the dust,
    > and I am going to run the system with the case open for awhile to see if
    > that helps. Thanks, I will post my results!
    >
    > Chad
    >

    > "Chad" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I have a Dell 825, 2.4Ghz P4, 512MB ram. I've had the computer over

    > > year now, and it has worked great up until now. All of the sudden I have
    > > started getting a problem where the computer will just stop responding.

    It
    > > seems to happen no matter what application I am running. I will be using

    > the
    > > computer, and all of the sudden everything just stops responding, and my
    > > hard drive will start to run...pause...run...pause repeatedly. During

    this
    > > time, I can do nothing. I can't open, or close programs. The computer

    will
    > > do this for 2-3 minutes, then it will just come back, and everything

    will
    > > work perfectly for awhile, till the next "attack" comes on. I am out of
    > > ideas, I have scanned for viruses, spyware, made sure I didn't have any
    > > loose connections on any cards inside the computer, etc. I also ran Scan
    > > Disk,
    > > and Defragmented the drives and came up with no errors. Any ideas?

    Thanks
    > > lot.
    > >
    > > Chad

    If your going to run your computer without the case on, make sure that its
    in a place where nothing can be dropped into your computer while its
    running. Wouldn't be a nice result.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Chad

    Chad Guest

    Well, I cleaned everything out, and started to run the computer with the
    case open. I got another one of these "attacks" no more than 3 minutes after
    the computer was turned on. The computer had been shut down about 2 hours
    prior to this, so there definately wasn't any heat left over. I have now
    pretty much ruled out heat, the CPU area feels warm, but no where near what
    you would call hot.

    One thing I did notice though, is that my DDR ram chips get pretty warm,
    this is the first PC I have had with DDR ram, so I am not sure if this is
    normal or not. I am open to any other suggestions you guys may have. I have
    been thinking about an OS reinstallation, but I really don't think that is
    my problem. The computer is very stable until one of these "attacks" come
    on, and then after it is over it is back to running just fine.

    Chad

    Chad, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Chad

    Michael-NC Guest

    You need to find out what apps are running. Until then, you're just
    guessing.

    See if it happens in safe mode.

    Michael-NC, Jun 6, 2004
  10. Chad

    Chad Guest

    Ok...this is going to sound like a newb question, but how do I tell what
    apps I have running? I don't have anything strange in the task manager, but
    is there somewhere else I need to look to see if there are programs I don't
    know about running in the background? Thanks a lot for your help.

    Chad

    Chad, Jun 6, 2004
  11. Chad

    Michael-NC Guest

    I believe Duane recommended an excellent program called Process Explorer.

    Get it here.

    http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10223604.html?tag=lst-0-1

    See what's going on, kill any unnecccary processes and maybe you'll find the
    culprit.

    Michael-NC, Jun 6, 2004
  12. Chad

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Chad" <> wrote in message
    > Ok...this is going to sound like a newb question, but how do I tell what
    > apps I have running? I don't have anything strange in the task manager,

    but
    > is there somewhere else I need to look to see if there are programs I

    don't
    > know about running in the background? Thanks a lot for your help.
    >
    > Chad

    Also do a memory check. One program for this is Doc
    Memory(www.simmtester.com).

    Mark Mandell, Jun 6, 2004
  13. Chad

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 02:51:19 GMT, "Chad" <> wrote:

    >Well, I cleaned everything out, and started to run the computer with the
    >case open. I got another one of these "attacks" no more than 3 minutes after
    >the computer was turned on. The computer had been shut down about 2 hours
    >prior to this, so there definately wasn't any heat left over. I have now
    >pretty much ruled out heat, the CPU area feels warm, but no where near what
    >you would call hot.
    >
    >One thing I did notice though, is that my DDR ram chips get pretty warm,
    >this is the first PC I have had with DDR ram, so I am not sure if this is
    >normal or not. I am open to any other suggestions you guys may have. I have
    >been thinking about an OS reinstallation, but I really don't think that is
    >my problem. The computer is very stable until one of these "attacks" come
    >on, and then after it is over it is back to running just fine.

    It sounds like yer hard drive is not responding occasionally.

    Try...

    Switch power leads to the drive.

    Switch (better to replace) the IDE cable.

    If it still happens after that, it could be the power supply. Try a
    different one.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

    Trent©, Jun 7, 2004
  14. Chad

    Brandy Guest

    And for heaven's sake, put the case back on the computer! The small fans in
    those things canNOT create enough airflow with the case off. Maybe that's
    why you got an 'attack' 3 minutes after starting the machine? It only takes
    seconds for the processor to overheat.

    Brandy, Jun 8, 2004
  15. Chad

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:45:08 -0400, "Brandy"
    <> wrote:

    >And for heaven's sake, put the case back on the computer! The small fans in
    >those things canNOT create enough airflow with the case off. Maybe that's
    >why you got an 'attack' 3 minutes after starting the machine? It only takes
    >seconds for the processor to overheat.

    There's no build up of heat with the cover off. That's what those
    fans are for...to dissipate heat captured by the cover. They're not
    necessary if you keep the cover off.

    Trent©, Jun 8, 2004
  16. Chad

    Brandy Guest

    Are you out of your mind??? I am going to classes to become a network
    administrator. One of the courses we take is A+ certification. Any and all
    books will tell you to absolutely not run a computer without the cover for
    any extended period of time, and it's not just because something may fall
    in. If you doubt me, post the very same question in alt.certification.a-plus
    and you will see. Better yet, grab any old PC repair book, or relevant
    substitute, and see for yourself.

    Brandy, Jun 9, 2004
  17. Chad

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Brandy" <> wrote in

    > Are you out of your mind??? I am going to classes to become a network
    > administrator. One of the courses we take is A+ certification. Any and
    > all

    I just got done talking to an A+ certified network administrator who didn't
    know how to find his own MX records for his domain. A+ means nothing.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 9, 2004
  18. Chad

    Thor Guest

    "Brandy" <> wrote in message
    > Are you out of your mind??? I am going to classes to become a network
    > administrator. One of the courses we take is A+ certification. Any and all
    > books will tell you to absolutely not run a computer without the cover for
    > any extended period of time, and it's not just because something may fall
    > in. If you doubt me, post the very same question in

    alt.certification.a-plus
    > and you will see. Better yet, grab any old PC repair book, or relevant
    > substitute, and see for yourself.

    If I may jump in and respond,

    Yes, Brandy, the *theory* behind optimal PC cooling is geared towards
    "airflow" with the cover installed and I'm fully aware that the A+ courses
    teach this, and the CompTIA A+ test often includes this very question (I
    recall that it was on mine). The problem is that the concept of good airflow
    in a case design depends on the case layout and the installed components to
    follow a very strict design and component assembly layout to create an
    unobstructed flow. Anyone who has actually been involved in real-world
    computer repair knows that the internal placement of cards, size and shape
    of cards, amount and placement of wiring, size, number, and and direction of
    fans, etc varies *tremendously* from system to system, and the plain, simple
    reality is that a considerable number of systems DO run cooler with the case
    cover removed, regardless of what A+ or the old PC repair books say, because
    that perfect airflow is simply not attainable in all cases given the
    plethora of non-airflow optimized designs that cover the marketplace. Case
    manufacturers that stamp out 30 and 40 dollar cookie-cutter cases usually
    don't give a rat's ass about optimizing the design for cover-on airflow, and
    thus real-world experience teaches that removal of the case cover can and
    DOES often alleviate an overheat situation. It is by no means a good
    permanent solution to overheating, but it is something that can be done with
    many (I'd wager MOST) PCs. The old concept of cover-on airflow being
    superior to cover-off ventillation is simply not a black and white issue,
    and one that CompTIA should really re-examine given the real-world
    situations techs face. So when you take that CompTIA A+ test, keep in mind
    that some of the questions you must answer the way *they* want you to answer
    them, and not by how you know things work in the real world these days. When
    they ask you whether a computer runs cooler with the cover on, or the cover
    off, they are looking for a black and white answer based purely on a
    theoretical model of perfection. The reality is that some run cooler with it
    off, and some (that have been well engineered as a complete system with a
    minimum of variables) run cooler with the cover installed. There is no black
    and white answer to this.

    Thor, Jun 9, 2004
  19. Chad

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 19:26:58 -0400, "Brandy"
    <> wrote:

    >Are you out of your mind???

    That has nothing to do with the subject at hand! lol

    > I am going to classes to become a network
    >administrator. One of the courses we take is A+ certification.

    Ah...A+ certification. That pretty much says it all! lol

    >Any and all
    >books will tell you to absolutely not run a computer without the cover for
    >any extended period of time, and it's not just because something may fall
    >in.

    Have you read every book in the world? If yer gonna be an
    administrator, may I suggest that you try thinking for yourself.
    Don't believe everything that you read.

    For instance, try to envision the PURPOSE of the fans.

    > If you doubt me, post the very same question in alt.certification.a-plus
    >and you will see.

    I had no doubt that yer probably correct! lol

    >Better yet, grab any old PC repair book, or relevant
    >substitute, and see for yourself.

    If you want to see for yourself, you should TRY it for yourself. Have
    you TRIED it?...to see if yer computer explodes? lol

    If you give the issue some real thought...YOUR thought...you may
    indeed see that a cover CAUSES a problem...which the fans are trying
    to overcome.

    Trent©, Jun 10, 2004
  20. Chad

    Stuart Guest

    Michael-NC wrote:

    > I believe Duane recommended an excellent program called Process Explorer.
    >
    > Get it here.
    >
    > http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10223604.html?tag=lst-0-1
    >

    > See what's going on, kill any unnecccary processes and maybe you'll find the
    > culprit.

    When you ran the antivirus and spyware did you update them before
    running it, also try other spyware programs like Spybot, Spyware Blaster
    and Bazooka, each one found things the others didn't see.

    It may be power related but is obviously intermittent if it is, it could
    be a poor PSU not supplying clean power, keep the case open and when it
    has another fit look inside, watch and listen for anything odd.

    Check your power management settings are correct, make sure that either
    the BIOS or Windows controls the power management not both at the same time.

    With regard to heating, keep the system running in the BIOS for a while
    and view the temperature there and also find a monitoring program to run
    in windows too, see what the temperatures read.

    If it has a fit while you are in the BIOS then it will be hardware
    related (power or heat problem) but if it only does it in Windows then
    it is most likely a virus, spyware, incorrect settings or faulty
    drivers. The latter could be caused by the former.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jun 10, 2004